Diablo issue 1 tomorrow.
So DC comics is releasing a 5 part miniseries of Diablo comics. Issue 1 will be releasing tomorrow. Anyone else gonna be picking these up? If the quality of this series is anything close to the quality for many of their rebooted core books this could be a very good read. We shall see.

Diablo Issue 1
Quality?

I think having a streamlined story also helps make a good quality story, so I don't know. Bliz may have great artwork, and pay for the best authors for their books, but to some, that is not enough; the lore must be intact too, unless the story specifically states it is a best estimate of what occurred. Anyways, I personally don't care about the lore, as I felt there was no real story to Diablo 2, and I never read the books, so... But comics, I can always read a good comic Big Grin !
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Just picked up Issue 1 and read through it...

Overall I'd say this issue is extremely average. I'll avoid explicit spoilers when talking about this book.

So far the greatest strength of the book is the art. The pencils and inks are extremely sketchy leaving the panels feeling very mythical. The colors are also very appropriate for the Diablo setting. Everything about the art in this book emotes a feeling of decay and foreboding. This is good as far as the story goes as at least half of this issue is told in flashbacks.

Unfortunately this reveals the greatest weakness of this issue. It is essentially a character saying "This happened to me." then "This happened to me." etc. It's a very lazy way of story telling and I'm left wondering if the same content could have been expressed in a stonger, more engaging way.

Having said that there are some key points that are very strong and help to add a lot of depth and layers to the cultural and societal systems of the world of Sanctuary. The depiction of Barbarians in particular is very intriguing and one that will add a lot of nuance to my perception of the characters going forward into Diablo III.