Skyrim v. Oblivion
I got Skyrim, haven't even installed it. Wanted to finish Oblivion first.

Discovered I had forgotten how harshly Oblivion tended to punish those who delayed starting the main question until higher levels. While I admit my char was kind of level as she goes, and a variant no AC archer, but egads at level 23ish. Kvatch was rediculous, and the Bruma gate just as bad. Also doesn't help that at high levels, 90% of the daedra encountered are Xivali's (sp?) which are classified under NPC's so Azura's Star doesn't work

Does Skyrim do that to ya? Or is the difficulty scaling a bit more manageable?
It depends how you build your character, and I didn't play Oblivion, only Morrowind. The scaling in Skyrim seems easier. For some types, early going is quite rough (pure casters especially), but I think for most types the later game gets easier.

In previous games, casters had pretty silly scaling, but I think Skyrim leads to melee having silly scaling (weapon skill +%, weapon perks +%, smithing +base damage, enchanting +elemental damage and + weapon skill enchants, destruction perks can scale the elemental enchant damage too.)

With the ability to pause and eat, chug potions, etc... nothing is too difficult. If you're over your head, you just use some consumables.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
The only diffcult enemies at a higher level are powerful necromancers, ancient dragons, and forsworn at high levels nothing else should be overly diffcult. Most enemies do not scale a wolf at lvl 1 is the same wolf at lvl 50, it stays just as weak.
I admit, having tried Skyrim a bit, I really don't like it that much.

Have graphics maxed out, and can't say it's any better looking than Oblivion. Find the graphics definitions at times...not great. For example staircases don't really seem to have clearly defined steps. Not to mention the plantlife looks not so great.

Amazed that for a late 2011 release game, I can run it on a first generation i7 (3.2GHz) + 12 GB RAM with ATi 6870 card at max video settings without stutter.

Having a horrible time with audio in the game. Maybe it's a problem with the integrated sound card, but either get no audible sound when characters talk, or it's completely directional.

The introduction quest reminds me of things like Medal of Honor Pacific Assault ... follow the guy exactly or *poof* you die.

And spiders... bleh... why'd it have to be spiders... bah.

Already missing the stats/skills system of Morrowind and even that of Oblivion.

Seems like they completely neutered the species/race and gender differences.

At least its not Bloodmoon scaling. Egads. I hit that at Clevel 70+ I think it was. Talk about wolf packs. Don't think I ever finished it. Real pain killing swarms of nuisance enemies.
I'm mostly hoping for the 4+GB RAM patch. It was possible to use your comp's resources to the max in pre-patch 1.2 and it was awesome. Now it just looks horrible. Sad

As for difficulty, it needs some massive balancing. Especially around smithing and enchanting. And the final boss fight of the main quest needs to be made harder as well. I am sure the modding community will get right on that once they get the development kit.

Oh, and I want a permanent portal to Sovngarde so I can visit the halls and drink mead while singing along. Smile

Overall, for now I think Oblivion is the better game, until the mods come. Then I have no doubt Skyrim will be one of the most awesome games ever.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
(01-02-2012, 02:03 PM)Crusader Wrote: I'm mostly hoping for the 4+GB RAM patch. It was possible to use your comp's resources to the max in pre-patch 1.2 and it was awesome. Now it just looks horrible. Sad

What do you mean hoping for the 4 GB RAM patch? v 1.3.10 was released 20 Dec and is the official LAA (up to 4GB) patch. Not gonna get more than that unless there's a 64bit version, and that's not so likely.

Current version should be "the 4+GB RAM patch"
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
odd, my visuals are still crap. Sad
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.