Early fix for randomizer issue?
Bug 
Someday, in 2039, the dungeon randomizer will stop working.
I know it's a little early to start looking for a fix, but I think we should do it now so we don't have to do it later.
Maybe by then someone will have a x86 emulator for x128 (or whatever type thing they have then) based systems. So we can continue to enjoy games like Diablo.
Just saying.
(01-17-2012, 01:41 PM)amarksys Wrote: Someday, in 2039, the dungeon randomizer will stop working.
I know it's a little early to start looking for a fix, but I think we should do it now so we don't have to do it later.

You could try setting your PC clock to 1997.

-Lem
(01-18-2012, 02:42 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote:
(01-17-2012, 01:41 PM)amarksys Wrote: Someday, in 2039, the dungeon randomizer will stop working.

-Lem

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Who knows what will be considered a computer by 2039?
(01-18-2012, 09:50 AM)Nystul Wrote: "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Who knows what will be considered a computer by 2039?

I was imagining him having an antique late 1990s PC running Windows 98, dedicated to running Diablo.

-Lem
Fixing randomization is surprisingly easy. Blizzard calls time() and uses that as their master seed. If time() is called outside its signed 32-bit range, it returns -1, hence no randomization. You can ensure randomization by replacing the call to time() with something that returns a truly random positive 32-bit number.
(01-18-2012, 02:42 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote:

-Lem

I was thinking this exact same thing some time ago. I also remember back in the day there was a whole movement (although it's "legit"imacy was questioned) where you purposely seeded your time reference (and froze your system clock) and recorded any uniques, or other special dungeon drops and traded time seeds with people who were looking for specific items.

-Kal