From 1 to 85 in Cataclysm. Figured I would share my experience.
In WotLK, I took an Enhancement Shaman from fresh 80 to inside ICC killing bosses in 24 hours of play time, without the help of a guild, or using my other toons. Every single thing I did along the way, he earned himself.

The Lounge post that points to the MTadin Case Study

In cataclysm, I decided to try something different. From level 1 to level 85, all by my lonesome. To up the ante on myself, I did it as alliance, on a server with no Lurker presence.

I didn't do a "study" on this, or keep detailed notes, I originally did it to play with a few Maintankadiners who had started their own guild.

So, meet Onnotangu (Pronouned on - no - TAN - goo, a reference to Legend of the Five Rings).

I quested pretty consistently to start out, and since it was a new server, I took dual gathering profs, to make gold. I didn't buy much, I ran dungeons the whole way, I quested until I was in my 30's, and then just gathered while in Queue until I hit 58.

At 60, I had more than enough gold to buy flight and mount, and Azeroth Flight.

From 58 to 70, I split my time between dungeons and pvping. I saved up enough honor to buy an entire set of Brutal Gladiator's PvP gear. I knew the gear would last me through all of WotLK if I gemmed and enchanted it. So I did.

At 68, I bought Cold Weather Flight.

At 70, I was short the 5k to purchase Epic Flight, but had it purchased by 73.

At 80, I moved to Hyjal, and quested until Revered (So I could buy my head enchant)

At 83, when I was revered with Hyjal, I moved to Deepholm and quested there to open Therazane, doing so shortly before I hit 85.

By the time I hit 85, I was sitting on close to 14k Gold.

The only help I had from Level 1 to Level 85 was a set of Netherweave bags purchased for me by the Guild Leader of <Paragon Knights> when I hit level 20.

At level 85, I blew through 9k gold, purchasing the BoE gear, gems, and enchants, that you see on him now. The Bracers cost me 1k, The Trinket cost me 2500, the Sword cost me 5k.

After hitting the AH, I did the Thrall Questline for the Cloak, and the intro to the molten front for the necklace.

As a gift for hitting level 85, a tailor in the guild helped me out with getting the crafted PvP gear I needed to replace some of my garbage. I provided the Cloth, the Guild provided the Volatiles, though purchasing them on my own wouldn't have been a big deal.

Now, I'm able to queue for the HoT Heroics, and my goal is to hit LFR as soon as possible. I am experiencing the twilight Highlands story from the alliance to say, and I have to say, I'm enjoying it immensely. There is an element to it that feels lost in the strife of the horde side.

So far, being Alliance is interesting. I hate the travel between the major cities. It's worse than go to Thunderbluff, to EVERY City. Maybe the new dogs can teach the old alliance some new tricks about travel?

Things seem spread out around Stormwind in a 'weird' kind of way. I like the way it "feels" like a city, but I like the close proximity of things in Orgrimarr a lot more.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Travel isn't that different from Horde-side. Ironforge and Stormwind are so close together that it's a non-issue (it takes less than 3 minutes flying north-by-north-east) and Stormwind is directly linked to Darnassus, which is directly linked to the Exodar, both by ship. On the Horde side, it's much the same. Undercity and Silvermoon have the teleportation thing, so it's a non-issue, and Orgrimmar have direct links to both Undercity and Thunder Bluff by the zeppelins. I'd say that travel to Thunder Bluff is far more annoying than travelling to any other city, as you have to sit through the round-trip (or at least you did the last time I did it) on the zeppelin, whereas for all Alliance boats (except the tram from Ironforge to Stormwind, but no one takes the tram anymore), they have loading screens.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
(02-28-2012, 08:21 AM)Taelas Wrote: Travel isn't that different from Horde-side. Ironforge and Stormwind are so close together that it's a non-issue (it takes less than 3 minutes flying north-by-north-east) and Stormwind is directly linked to Darnassus, which is directly linked to the Exodar, both by ship. On the Horde side, it's much the same. Undercity and Silvermoon have the teleportation thing, so it's a non-issue, and Orgrimmar have direct links to both Undercity and Thunder Bluff by the zeppelins. I'd say that travel to Thunder Bluff is far more annoying than travelling to any other city, as you have to sit through the round-trip (or at least you did the last time I did it) on the zeppelin, whereas for all Alliance boats (except the tram from Ironforge to Stormwind, but no one takes the tram anymore), they have loading screens.

Couple extra points:

Flight path (or just 280%+ flying) Org to TB is probably similar to SW to IF. The tram is even comparable travel time wise.
There's actually a portal to Exodar in Darnassus (and back I think), located in the southern temple where Tyrande hangs out.
ERAU QSSI DLRO WEHT