Single Player vs. Multi - any storyline differences?
In Diablo 1, there were some quests and NPCs that didn't appear when playing multiplayer. I don't remember if D2 was the same.

So I'm wondering: Does anyone know if there are any storyline differences between single- and multi-player in D3? I plan to play multi exclusively, but I don't want to miss any storyline.

The error occurred on line -1.
(03-25-2012, 08:34 PM)Zippyy Wrote: In Diablo 1, there were some quests and NPCs that didn't appear when playing multiplayer. I don't remember if D2 was the same.

So I'm wondering: Does anyone know if there are any storyline differences between single- and multi-player in D3? I plan to play multi exclusively, but I don't want to miss any storyline.

There is no single player in D3. The best you can do is a private game, but it's still online, and the only difference is that no one else can join it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(03-25-2012, 11:50 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: There is no single player in D3. The best you can do is a private game, but it's still online, and the only difference is that no one else can join it.

Isn't that pretty much how it was in D2 as well? I mean... there was offline play, but the game itself was the same whether you played alone or with friends. Only the difficulty/drops/etc changed. So it is less that there is no single player and more that single player and multiplayer are simply the same game. Am I remembering something wrong or not aware of something with the new game?
(03-25-2012, 11:50 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: There is no single player in D3. The best you can do is a private game, but it's still online, and the only difference is that no one else can join it.

I only knew you had to be logged into B.Net to play. Thanks for the info. Smile
The error occurred on line -1.
(03-26-2012, 12:12 AM)swirly Wrote:

Isn't that pretty much how it was in D2 as well? I mean... there was offline play, but the game itself was the same whether you played alone or with friends. Only the difficulty/drops/etc changed. So it is less that there is no single player and more that single player and multiplayer are simply the same game. Am I remembering something wrong or not aware of something with the new game?

Yeah D2 was pretty much like that, but it actually had an option that said single player. There is no option that says single player in D3. I also don't think D3 has the /players X option that you had in D2.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(03-26-2012, 02:17 AM)Gnollguy Wrote: Yeah D2 was pretty much like that, but it actually had an option that said single player. There is no option that says single player in D3. I also don't think D3 has the /players X option that you had in D2.

I do have to admit that I'll miss the /players option. I do wonder if they won't add a single player button though. Kind of like how they added the one in SC2. Completely different beasts since SC2 actually had a campaign whereas D2 doesn't. Still... I wouldn't be surprised if the retail version adds such even though the beta doesn't have one. Just because they might want to make it simple for the masses to jump in and play alone even though online. Have they said they won't do such?
(03-26-2012, 03:56 AM)swirly Wrote: I do wonder if they won't add a single player button though. Kind of like how they added the one in SC2.

As far as I know, Private Game *is* the singleplayer option, if you don't invite anyone else or give out the name/password to it.

--Mav
(03-27-2012, 08:55 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(03-26-2012, 03:56 AM)swirly Wrote: I do wonder if they won't add a single player button though. Kind of like how they added the one in SC2.

As far as I know, Private Game *is* the singleplayer option, if you don't invite anyone else or give out the name/password to it.
Games do not have 'names' or passwords. You can join a public game getting a choice of which quest arc you wish to join and will then be thrown into a public game with whoever is doing the same stuff. Or you can start your own private game. Depending on your social settings, you could allow others on your friends list to join such a game. Or you can join the game that someone on your friends list that is already in a game by asking them to invite you in.

At no point have I found anything comparable to the named games with passwords that was in D2. This meant a build ago when my friends list was wiped and I could not send or receive a battletag friend invite, playing with others like Sabra was completely off the grid for play options.

Edit: do not expect any single player offline mode of this game. They are putting players money on the block with some of these features of D3 and the only way to keep the exploits out the picture is if some parts of critical code and functionality is only on the game servers and not on the players computer where it could examined and reverse engineered to create hacks and such.
(03-27-2012, 09:42 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: Edit: do not expect any single player offline mode of this game. They are putting players money on the block with some of these features of D3 and the only way to keep the exploits out the picture is if some parts of critical code and functionality is only on the game servers and not on the players computer where it could examined and reverse engineered to create hacks and such.

Not sure how necessary/effective it is in that regard, but it is a pretty good anti-piracy measure these days. You just have to make the online service important enough that you don't lose many sales by making it online only. Not a big fan of this trend personally. Maybe it's because I am anti-social by nature. Tongue Fact of matter is that 10 years from now we may very well be able to play Diablo, but Diablo III might not be available. I like the availability of games on Steam but it makes me nervous too. I guess if you play the game out in the first year (and are always and forever connected to internet) it is no concern.