Shopping 1.00-1.08 vs 1.09
Question 
I was wondering if anyone had experiences in item generation between shopping at Griswold/Wirt in town with an older version of D1?

Jarulf wrote for 1.09 in mind, the patch.txt in the Diablo directory mentions some fixes related to item generation:

1.03 - Fixes duplicate item generation at the Blacksmith or Witch
1.02 - Numerous fixes to item integrity NOTE: With this patch, when the game detects duplicate items

I've not had much luck with my shopping for my 15 year old characters, and have not seen a King's Sword with a Haste/Speed suffix in town.
I gave this a shot with a test character, just some prelim testing.

Of course, I'm seeing slight changes in town vendor item generation but these may be very well anecdotal. For instance, in 1.00, I've already seen multiple weapons, ____ of Haste/Speed in a relatively short window of time from both Wirt and Griswold.
I don't think the version of Diablo will have any impact on what type of items you find/buy. They added a routine to the game to try to detect duplicate items and destroy one copy under certain circumstances. Odds are you've seen that happen on accident at some time or another.

The most time efficient way to try to get a king's sword of haste/speed would be to collect the needed gold and then shop Gris over and over. Walking to Wirt takes too long if you are shopping Gris.

The odds are not on your side because your search criteria is very specific. You could spend some boring hours and not get what you were looking for. On the other hand, it is very doable compared to some insanely rare items in D2, D3, etc.
If I recall correctly, at some point Blizzard patched item affixes to make the King prefix easier to find (and amusingly overlooked Champion, which is now rarer than King despite being inferior). With one less high end suffix likely to show up, one would theoretically see other prefixes more often.

I don't remember which version of the game made this change, I'm sure someone else could elaborate if you are curious. I felt it was worth mentioning since you seem to be looking for a King's weapon specifically.
After a little over a week of repetitive window shopping, I have to come in my conclusion that there are no discernible differences between 1.00, 1.07 and 1.09 in terms of item generation at Griswold and Wirt. This is done by hours of runs.

I think in my original post I misunderstood and read the 1.03 patch as in fixing duplicates of generated prefix/suffixed items in similarity:
i.e., two "Sword of Haste" offered in Griswold's inventory. Instead, it makes sense that I now understand that it was meant to address item ID numbers.