Disconnects
I wanted to pool some of the intelligence here to try and apply some detective work to the disconnect issues still hassling people.

I've seen mostly two flavors:
1) Spicy lag lock. 30-60 second lag induced lockup usually ending in disconnect with a side of death. Not caused by ISP or client hardware.

My guess is that this has something to do with a software conflict with vent or some common background service. It's not that simple though, as it usually only occurs during heavy AV load in game (Zoning/Cut Scene).

2) Bitter Boot Back to Basics. An immediate DC that while solo resets all your progress in a given area. While grouped, the effect is not as toxic, but still annoying and frustrating.

This seems to be fixable also. Seems like a slight server out of synch thing. I recommend reboot for good measure. Others have suggested turning on General Chat (sticking a hot poker in the eye) to help synch to the server.

What are your observations with DCs? Any home remedies or interesting conspiracy theories?
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
(05-24-2012, 01:47 PM)Magicbag Wrote: I wanted to pool some of the intelligence ...
I don't really get any #1's. I've had a few #2's. #2's are probably due to a server scram, requiring a restart on their end, and dumping the server cache before it gets stored. For multi-player, you would need to communicate loot and position more often, so your players cached data is possibly written to disk more often. The server farm is probably configured to be also a Virtual Server farm, where some of the frequent/recent IO is only in volatile memory.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I've seen no instance of either kind. I have seen a couple instances where I have had a 3-4 second bit of desync (where I suddenly jump back).

Even this is going to eventually get me killed.
(05-24-2012, 06:43 PM)vor_lord Wrote: I've seen no instance of either kind. I have seen a couple instances where I have had a 3-4 second bit of desync (where I suddenly jump back).

Yeah, I had a total of two disconnects, and those were in the first couple of days. Been rock solid since then.
--Mav
(05-24-2012, 06:49 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 06:43 PM)vor_lord Wrote: I've seen no instance of either kind. I have seen a couple instances where I have had a 3-4 second bit of desync (where I suddenly jump back).

Yeah, I had a total of two disconnects, and those were in the first couple of days. Been rock solid since then.

QUICK MAN - KNOCK ON SOME WOOD!
There is a workaround that involves changing some settings on your router. There is a blue post in the Tech support forum that has this info. I believe it is mostly the D-Link 615 that is borked.

However, there is another workaround which makes no sense but works for many ppl, including me, which leads me to believe that Blizz should be able to patch this crap.

What you have to do, is to join the General channel when you first log in to Bnet. Works for me 100% of the time. If it did not, I'd be doing the router changes, but as it is, I am too lazy. You do get lots of spam on your lower left, but meh, no biggie.

Now, if you could only fix Barbs in Inferno by joining General, I'd be happy.
(05-24-2012, 07:01 PM)Ashock Wrote: However, there is another workaround which makes no sense but works for many ppl, including me, which leads me to believe that Blizz should be able to patch this crap.

If it's all on their end, why doesn't it affect everyone?

It's probably a certain set of NICs and/or routers that cause the problem to show up. They have to isolate what ones these are before they can patch anything.
--Mav
Odder still, it's very intermittent with me and I've had both issues. More 1 than 2.
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
(05-24-2012, 07:05 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 07:01 PM)Ashock Wrote: However, there is another workaround which makes no sense but works for many ppl, including me, which leads me to believe that Blizz should be able to patch this crap.

If it's all on their end, why doesn't it affect everyone?

It's probably a certain set of NICs and/or routers that cause the problem to show up. They have to isolate what ones these are before they can patch anything.

Ok, then why is it that other Blizz games do not cause this type of issue?

The reason why it does not affect everyone, is that it mostly affects particular routers. Those routers happen to be very common modesl and therefore there are so many ppl affected. If you read the threads in Tech support, you'd see that there are a lot of people affected. They need to test their game before something as major as this breaks games for so many users. If the General chat workaround was not accidentally found by a regular person, there would be thousands if not tens of thousands of ppl who get disconnected every 3 minutes. This is a competely unprofessional behavior from a gaming company and it opens them up to class action lawsuits.
(05-24-2012, 07:28 PM)Ashock Wrote: and it opens them up to class action lawsuits.

You really need more tinfoil. Class action lawsuits because certain routers have issues, and the game is out less than two weeks so far, when they've sold in a week what they projected to sell in a year?

Yeah, keep that Blizzard hate machine up.
--Mav
(05-24-2012, 07:41 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(05-24-2012, 07:28 PM)Ashock Wrote: and it opens them up to class action lawsuits.

You really need more tinfoil. Class action lawsuits because certain routers have issues, and the game is out less than two weeks so far, when they've sold in a week what they projected to sell in a year?

Yeah, keep that Blizzard hate machine up.

Class action lawsuits because there are thousands of users for whom the game is unplayable. Being playable is a pre-req to not being involved in a lawsuit. Now, if those same routers had issues in the past with other games and specifically Blizzard games, then that would be a known. As is, there is nothing wrong with the routers.

Naturally, if they patch it soon, then it's a moot point. However, if they don't, then they better be prepared to refund lots of money and they hate doing that. If they refuse, then that is when the class action lawsuit(s) will start.

As far as hate, I do not hate Blizzard. If the workaround did not work for me though, I probably would. Imagine waiting for this game for so many years, buying it, and then through no fault of your own not being able to play it. I'd say you'd find a little bit of hate within yourself.
I have #2, but the other person sharing my Internet connection doesn't. A third computer--a laptop--had it both here and elsewhere (though less frequently). There is a switch box (a router, I suppose?) in between, though; I suppose that may make the difference.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
I have had a lot of serious lag issues, but the only disconnects I have had were in the first day or two. Or when I went afk to eat dinner (stupid time-out policy). I do get a lot of desync issues, which are usually followed by Blizzard rebooting the servers Tongue
May the wind pick up your heels and your sword strike true.
I get 3007 errors all the time (#2). I play in non-peak hours (I live in Australia) and so when I join general chat, there are generally only a dozen people in it. If noone is talking, I get the disconnects. If people are talking I don't. Simple as that. The "solution" to this problem is that whenever I see the chat area of my screen cleared of message, I spam general chat. Mid-fight if necessary. If I forget even one cycle of doing this I get disconnected. It really ruins the suspension of disbelief.
Disarm you with a smile Smile
My D3 playing experience has been nothing but rock-solid, outside of the first couple of days.