Recommend me some new full-size headphones
I use full-size headphones to watch movies when the rest of my house is asleep. I presently use Sony MDR XD200 headphones and I love the comfort and sound, but I need to find something else.

My problem with these Sony headphones is that the plastic adjustable bits make a really awful noise that resonates through the earpieces whenever I so much as reach for a drink. I can't move my head two nanometers without the sounds of plastic grinding.

What I need is a recommendation for a pair of full-size headphones that fit like this (really large radius that doesn't squish my earlobes), with great sound quality for a great price.
(06-02-2012, 05:36 AM)DeeBye Wrote: What I need is a recommendation for a pair of full-size headphones that fit like this (really large radius that doesn't squish my earlobes), with great sound quality for a great price.

What I use and recommend is Denon AH-D7000. If you want a plethora of advice go to head-fi.org.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Based on plenty of reviews, I went with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...nce%201500 and really, really enjoy them.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(06-02-2012, 06:38 AM)LavCat Wrote: What I use and recommend is Denon AH-D7000.

Am I seeing things, or are those $900 headphones?

(06-02-2012, 02:33 PM)Frag Wrote: Based on plenty of reviews, I went with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...nce%201500 and really, really enjoy them.

That's a headset. I don't want/need a microphone to listen to movies.
(06-03-2012, 02:23 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 06:38 AM)LavCat Wrote: What I use and recommend is Denon AH-D7000.

Am I seeing things, or are those are $900 headphones?

Don't know what they are in Canada. Here they list for about $1000 but people often manage to get them for $550 - $650. If the D7000 is too much, look at the less expensive D5000 or D2000. Prices fluctuate. My experience is only with the D7000 however, which are very comfortable and generally regarded among the best headphones for movie listening.

If $900 seems like a lot, try shoping for high end headphones.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(06-03-2012, 02:50 AM)LavCat Wrote: Don't know what they are in Canada. Here they list for about $1000 but people often manage to get them for $550 - $650.

People actually buy headphones for that price? I'm not sure if you are serious or joking.
I really don't know squat about headphones.

However, I wanted to point out that today (June 3), Woot has the Incase Sonic Over Ear Headphones on sale for $60. They normally sell for around $140. Apparently, they're not bad.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(06-03-2012, 05:09 AM)Bolty Wrote: I really don't know squat about headphones.

However, I wanted to point out that today (June 3), Woot has the Incase Sonic Over Ear Headphones on sale for $60. They normally sell for around $140. Apparently, they're not bad.

I'm actually trying to buy these right now, but Woot seems to be too overloaded. I keep getting this:

[Image: t7IqD.jpg]
(06-03-2012, 04:43 AM)DeeBye Wrote: People actually buy headphones for that price? I'm not sure if you are serious or joking.

They do. Then sometimes they'll spend a couple grand on a boutique headphone amplifier and a couple hundred on cables. Boys and their toys.

I would have recommended Beyerdynamic DT-880, but I assumed that 300 USD was not what you had in mind by "great price". And frankly, for watching movies in the middle of the night, it wouldn't be worth it.
I have a pair of studio headphones that I would never dream about plugging into my computer that I spent $1200 on. But those are for a Studio, recording music. If you want a good set of headphones that aren't going to set you back a bunch,

http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/hesh-black

I have listened through them several times, and I'm going to be ordering myself a set. I love them. The problem with Skull Candy, is that they are marketed toward the young crowd, and some of their phones are eye poppingly ugly in colors. The Hesh series is available in white, and Black.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
I have a pair of Turtle Beach X12's. They work pretty darn good. Definitely the nicest pair of headphones I've ever worn to include those I flew with.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4...Caps%2C212
(06-03-2012, 02:23 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 02:33 PM)Frag Wrote: Based on plenty of reviews, I went with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...nce%201500 and really, really enjoy them.

That's a headset. I don't want/need a microphone to listen to movies.
Right. /duncecap
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
It's DEEBYE.

These look good!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-04-2012, 10:35 PM)kandrathe Wrote: It's DEEBYE.

These look good!

Those aren't full-size headphones!

I like them
(06-05-2012, 03:21 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Those aren't full-size headphones!

I am trying to think out of the box a bit here. Why don't you buy a jar of earplugs for your family. Much cheaper and the effect is the same.
(06-05-2012, 03:21 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(06-04-2012, 10:35 PM)kandrathe Wrote: It's DEEBYE.

These look good!

Those aren't full-size headphones!

I like them
Me too.

Koss gets alot of love by us techno-nerds. Some of the ones nearer the bottom of the page may be close to your price point and worthy of further consumer satisfaction research. I'd probably start with the HQ1. Some heavy Dolby in movies could double as a relaxing temple massage...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

You can't really ask for advice about audio equipment without a price range - the sky is the limit.

I would recommend Audio-Technica - Depending on your budget and your preference for open or closed cans (Open vs. Closed is really the most important option/choice you need to make - closed headphones generally mean ear sweat after more than say, an hour, but it's quite hard to find a pair of open headphones with any sort of respectable bass), I would get the A700 (closed, cheaper), A900 (closed, more expensive), AD900 or AD700 (open versions).
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!