Quick Poll to the International Members of The Lounge!
I'm looking for input from members of the Lurker Lounge who are not American.

Do you know, (without looking obviously) what Yesterday was in the US?

I ask, because I had a customer from Trinidad and Tobago order something yesterday, and paid for Expedited shipping, and is FURIOUS because it wasn't shipped yesterday, telling me that he paid for express shipping, it should have been shipped.

An explanation only served to get me cussed out, and hung up on.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(07-05-2012, 02:51 PM)shoju Wrote: Do you know, (without looking obviously) what Yesterday was in the US?

Yep.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
So that's 1 yes Smile

I'm just trying to figure out why this guy got so bent out of shape. I can understand if he thought our business would be open, not everything closes, but when I can't get him to understand that as a national holiday freight shipping companies were not open for business.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(07-05-2012, 03:36 PM)shoju Wrote: So that's 1 yes Smile

I'm just trying to figure out why this guy got so bent out of shape. I can understand if he thought our business would be open, not everything closes, but when I can't get him to understand that as a national holiday freight shipping companies were not open for business.

Personally, I'd blame Obamacare Tongue.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Ugh... Lets not go there, My insane family will find this place, and start posting about how obamacare is the mark mentioned in revelations, and how Obama is a tool of the antichrist, and that I'm going to hell because I'm in favor of it.
(07-05-2012, 03:47 PM)shoju Wrote: Ugh... Lets not go there, My insane family will find this place, and start posting about how obamacare is the mark mentioned in revelations, and how Obama is a tool of the antichrist, and that I'm going to hell because I'm in favor of it.

:O

Behold my amazing talent to say (write) exactly the wrong thing!

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.
I only know because of all the annoying posts on facebook with bald eagles and american flags. It's a pretty american-centric holiday and really not as well known as america might think it is.
Eff
(07-05-2012, 04:56 PM)Zombie Wrote: I only know because of all the annoying posts on facebook with bald eagles and american flags. It's a pretty american-centric holiday and really not as well known as america might think it is.

You bet it's "american-centric", it's an american holiday, so you think it should not be?

No one is expecting a non-american to know about it, just to respect the fact that it's important for americans.
I meant that some holidays are given a holiday designation outside of their country, but the fourth of july is not, that I know of. I never said it shouldn't be a holiday. I, personally, don't celebrate any holidays much like most of my family. I'm aware no one here is expecting non-americans to know about it, but that is not the majority thought. Almost every american I've ever run into has assumed I know and hold deep respect for the fourth of july and become vehemently offended when I don't celebrate it. I have also experienced the same reason from other people of other countries.
Eff
We could pick any day... Like the 26th of January, or the 21st of April. It's a beer fest somewhere, whether it be Fosters or Old Peculier. Smile
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(07-05-2012, 02:51 PM)shoju Wrote: Do you know, (without looking obviously) what Yesterday was in the US?

[posh]It was the day the colonials got all hot and bothered about something or another, wasn't it? Ah, well. Another cup of tea?[/posh]

-Jester
If you work in any industry that has international ties, you get to know the holidays of various countries. If not, you don't.

I'd say your customer from Trinidad and Tobago has a bit of a right to be annoyed - there should have been some sort of notification when he ordered from you that orders placed after X time on the 3rd would not be fulfilled until July 5th. The expectation that people from around the world should be intimately aware of holidays in the United States is one of those things that everyone else in the world gets mad at us Americans for.

I mean, who schedules a holiday for a Wednesday, honestly? Smile
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Yes, but Britain does have a high level of cultural osmosis from America. We're probably more familiar with US holidays than the US are about UK ones because you will not stop talking about them.

Ahem.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
(07-05-2012, 05:54 PM)Bolty Wrote: If you work in any industry that has international ties, you get to know the holidays of various countries. If not, you don't.

I'd say your customer from Trinidad and Tobago has a bit of a right to be annoyed - there should have been some sort of notification when he ordered from you that orders placed after X time on the 3rd would not be fulfilled until July 5th. The expectation that people from around the world should be intimately aware of holidays in the United States is one of those things that everyone else in the world gets mad at us Americans for.

I mean, who schedules a holiday for a Wednesday, honestly? Smile

If he didn't know we weren't open on the 4th of July, he didn't pay attention to anything on the website.

He also didn't read the portion about ordering, that states that anything ordered after 1pm EST isn't guaranteed for same day shipment.

I'm coming to realize that this was just a guy who ordered something at 5pm, and expected that his order was going to be handled, and shipped out instantaneously. His nationality has become less the issue, and its more about him being NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW.

He wouldn't have been happy had he ordered it July 2nd, at 2:30pm, either.
That's why, in the middle of the upper-mid west (of the good ol' USA), I made it a point to wear the this yesterday:

[Image: dalek-jack.jpg]
It's just another reason why i don't want to be the "sales rep". I have no tolerance for people who think that they are somehow special, significant, or deserve something special, just "because"

I built the site, I maintain the site, I run the network, I do the graphic design, I do the proof reading, I do the press releases, I try and keep our security up to date, and on top of all of that, I handle the orders, the shipping, the questions, the nonsense.

I'm not a people person.
(07-05-2012, 06:33 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: That's why, in the middle of the upper-mid west (of the good ol' USA), I made it a point to wear the this yesterday:

Because Dr. Who won our independence from the Daleks?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(07-05-2012, 06:41 PM)shoju Wrote: I'm not a people person.
Welcome to society. Smile I mean... we all have our limits.

When I was 17, my first job was selling hardware. One day a young guy came in and bought a metric socket set for $30. He came back to return it a few hours later (after fixing his car), but what he had brought back was not a metric set -- it was an older set, much of it covered in grease, with lots of parts missing. I explained to him that this was not the same set he bought, but he wanted to see the manager. I figured the manager would figure out this guys ruse and handle it. The manager listened to me, and to the customer and promptly had me issue him the refund. Obviously, I'm not good at sales either.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(07-05-2012, 06:53 PM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(07-05-2012, 06:33 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: That's why, in the middle of the upper-mid west (of the good ol' USA), I made it a point to wear the this yesterday:

Because Dr. Who won our independence from the Daleks?

That, and it was the only red, white & blue shirt that I own. (Nobody seemed to care that it was for the "other" side ).
(07-05-2012, 07:06 PM)RiotInferno Wrote: That, and it was the only red, white & blue shirt that I own. (Nobody seemed to care that it was for the "other" side ).

Really, this is why sports teams have away strips.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386