These are my two favourite movie intros.
Lord of War

Zombieland (might be a little NSFW)

In both of those intros, the visuals and music both set the stage perfectly for the upcoming movie. I really love it when a movie can capture my attention right away during the opening credits with just visuals and music - and almost zero plotline stuff.

What are your favourite movie intros?
(07-14-2012, 03:56 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Lord of War

In both of those intros, the visuals and music both set the stage perfectly for the upcoming movie. I really love it when a movie can capture my attention right away during the opening credits with just visuals and music - and almost zero plotline stuff.

I agree with you on Zombieland. What does NSFW mean? Note that I still have a toilet tank lid by my door. For real.

One of my favorite intros is Heavenly Creatures, for which Peter Jackson used old footage.

By the way I hate you, Deebye. Now when I go to Amazon they tell me I want to buy Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(07-14-2012, 04:46 AM)LavCat Wrote: What does NSFW mean?
Not Safe For Work. Do not click the link in a work place environment.

(07-14-2012, 04:46 AM)LavCat Wrote: By the way I hate you, Deebye. Now when I go to Amazon they tell me I want to buy Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus.

related
(07-14-2012, 05:34 AM)DeeBye Wrote: related

Great. Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus, Mega Python vs. Gatoroid, Dinocroc vs. Supergator -- all for only $29.86.

P.S. What doesn't your work like about Zombieland? It comes up in my work all the time.
(07-14-2012, 05:59 AM)LavCat Wrote: Mega Python vs. Gatoroid

I read that as Monty Python vs Gatorade at first. Completely different movie...
(07-14-2012, 06:14 AM)swirly Wrote:
(07-14-2012, 05:59 AM)LavCat Wrote: Mega Python vs. Gatoroid

I read that as Monty Python vs Gatorade at first. Completely better movie...

Fixed for you. Wink
(07-14-2012, 05:59 AM)LavCat Wrote: P.S. What doesn't your work like about Zombieland? It comes up in my work all the time.

NSFW generally means the associated link is rated R. The Zombieland intro has some bouncing zombie tasseled boobs. And zombies eating people.
(07-15-2012, 02:33 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(07-14-2012, 05:59 AM)LavCat Wrote: P.S. What doesn't your work like about Zombieland? It comes up in my work all the time.

NSFW generally means the associated link is rated R. The Zombieland intro has some bouncing zombie tasseled boobs. And zombies eating people.

I don't work in Florida.
One of my favorite intro's is the intro to Ghost Ship. It takes a second to get going, but then... I'm a sucker for that kind of fun Smile
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(07-16-2012, 07:20 PM)shoju Wrote: One of my favorite intro's is the intro to Ghost Ship. It takes a second to get going, but then... I'm a sucker for that kind of fun Smile

Oh well. After that initial second I was sure the movie was going to be horrible (had suspected as much but was suckered into going by friends). Glad you enjoyed it though Smile.

A glorious example of a terrible intro is 'Alone in the Dark' by Uwe Boll. Wall of nonsensical text crits you for x. I really enjoyed the similar style intro of the first Conan movie however, which just goes to show... well, something.

Probably my favorite movie intro of all time would have to be the opening to 'The Godfather'. So very much is being established in the first few minutes, the mood and everything is just so awesome. Love it.

take care
Tarabulus

EDIT: Intro: The Godfather.
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Well, there is always the greatest love story ever told. The 8 minute intro to Disney/Pixar's Up.

I have a hard time getting people to believe me, but no words, just animation, and in 8 minutes, that love story blows whole movies out of the water.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(07-16-2012, 08:13 PM)shoju Wrote: Well, there is always the greatest love story ever told. The 8 minute intro to Disney/Pixar's Up.

I have a hard time getting people to believe me, but no words, just animation, and in 8 minutes, that love story blows whole movies out of the water.

That was indeed incredible.
(07-14-2012, 03:56 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Lord of War

Well duh!

Once upon a time in the west of course.....all 45 minutes of it. Smile
No seriously, nothing even comes close to that...including all those millions of movies I haven't seen (like the ones you mention).
(07-16-2012, 08:22 PM)DeeBye Wrote:
(07-16-2012, 08:13 PM)shoju Wrote: Well, there is always the greatest love story ever told. The 8 minute intro to Disney/Pixar's Up.

Agreed. I was battling tears.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(07-16-2012, 10:54 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:
(07-16-2012, 08:22 PM)DeeBye Wrote:

Agreed. I was battling tears.

Ditto
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(07-16-2012, 10:54 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: Agreed. I was battling tears.

Pixar just rules. They also took a non-speaking robot and gave him more character than 99% of any real actor I've seen.
(07-17-2012, 01:07 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(07-16-2012, 10:54 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: Agreed. I was battling tears.

Pixar just rules. They also took a non-speaking robot and gave him more character than 99% of any real actor I've seen.

Not long ago I watched The Incredibles on Blu-ray. Wow.
Pixar does indeed rule. And I agree about Wall-E.

They are by far some of the best storytellers and animators ever assembled, but the intro to Up was incredible, even by Pixar standards. I have been a huge pixar fan since Toy Story. I have my list of faves, and the ones I will never ever watch again (I'm looking at you Cars franchise), but above all, there is Up, and Wall-E. Both are just astounding feats of storytelling through animation.

Didn't we have a "bad movie thread" around herer somewhere? I watched one last night that I just.... well, I have to make sure that I'm not missing something that would make the heaping pile of dung that I watched not seem like such a heaping pile.
(07-17-2012, 01:43 PM)shoju Wrote: Didn't we have a "bad movie thread" around herer somewhere? I watched one last night that I just...

Eagerly awaiting the follow-up Smile.

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.
(07-14-2012, 03:56 AM)DeeBye Wrote: What are your favourite movie intros?
Many. I find certain directors do this well.

Sergio Leone - Once Upon a Time in the West, et. al.
Stanley Kubrick - A Clockwork Orange, 2001
Quentin Tarentino - Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction
Spielberg - StarWars Ep4, Saving Private Ryan
Francis Ford Coppola - Apocalypse Now, The Godfather

I think good directors realize the beginning is when you get hooked into the remaining 2 hours.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]