So you want to be a seismologist
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchann...ourt-video

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/2...IC20121022

Is this for real? I realise that Italy is not quiete a 1st world nation, even if it imagines it is, but seriously, this is retarded even by their standards.
(10-23-2012, 09:39 PM)Ashock Wrote: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchann...ourt-video

Is this for real? I realise that Italy is not quiete a 1st world nation, even if it imagines it is, but seriously, this is retarded even by their standards.

Amazing how you neatly packed your chauvinism into so short a post. Thank Jebus there weren't any ridiculous first verdicts in US courts, ever, else you'd look a tad silly.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
This verdict is just fucked by ANY standard, regardless of what nation it is in. In fact, they shouldn't have even been on trial to begin with. Just another example of how wonderful bourgeois law is.

Harold Campings failure-to-come-true prediction of the rapture on May 21st last year was a million times worse than this, considering all the fools he brainwashed into leaving their homes and lives behind because they believed his nonsense. And yet he hasn't even been indicted.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(10-23-2012, 09:39 PM)Ashock Wrote: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchann...ourt-video

I would have said they were being rather scientifically illiterate, but then I discovered I didn't have the right to judge considering my score on the quiz linked in the first article. Are you scientifically literate? (Don't get old, kids. The good stuff goes first. Sad )

My score: 37 of 50 correct (second guessed at least 3 or 4 into errors) Blush
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Just wait, statisticians are next! "You didn't correctly warn of the impending stock drop after your analysis had a percentage of dropping. I'm suing you for willful negligence! "
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(10-23-2012, 10:44 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:

Amazing how you neatly packed your chauvinism into so short a post. Thank Jebus there weren't any ridiculous first verdicts in US courts, ever, else you'd look a tad silly.

take care
Tarabulus

Amazing how you chose to concentrate on the irrelevant and the irreverent and decided to ignore the real issue here.
(10-23-2012, 11:20 PM)Ashock Wrote:

take care
Tarabulus

Amazing how you chose to concentrate on the irrelevant and the irreverent and decided to ignore the real issue here.

You phrased it the way you did. For a reason, I suppose? I did not approve, and still don't. You were aiming for a reaction and you got it. Amazing (to keep the theme going) that you don't understand how it could come to this.

Re: real issue
Do you really need people telling you that, yes, you are right, this is an outrage? Most Lurkers (if not all) are going to agree, big shock.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
(10-23-2012, 11:11 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: My score: 37 of 50 correct (second guessed at least 3 or 4 into errors) Blush

I beat you by 1!
(10-24-2012, 03:07 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I beat you by 1!

Yeah, but you probably learned from my mistake and didn't second guess yourself. Tongue
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
The Verdict is generally just terrible. I don't think anyone ever, will argue with that.

But deciding on your own that somehow, Italy is less than everyone else, and that they aren't a 1st world Nation? Well, welcome back Ashock, your idiocy wasn't missed...

On the other hand, the quiz made me realize just how much I hate Physics. I'm awful with Physics. My super awesome 28/50 made me feel dumb.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(10-24-2012, 01:57 PM)shoju Wrote: On the other hand, the quiz made me realize just how much I hate Physics. I'm awful with Physics. My super awesome 28/50 made me feel dumb.

I couldn't understand why my score was never going above zero, when I realized you had to have Java enabled.... Oh well. Didn't feel like retaking the test.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(10-23-2012, 11:56 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:

take care
Tarabulus

You phrased it the way you did. For a reason, I suppose? I did not approve, and still don't. You were aiming for a reaction and you got it. Amazing (to keep the theme going) that you don't understand how it could come to this.

Do you really need people telling you that, yes, you are right, this is an outrage? Most Lurkers (if not all) are going to agree, big shock.

take care
Tarabulus

Hmm, you think that I need affirmation in my opinions? That is not why I posted this. Besides, seriously you have to be mentally retarded to actually agree with this verdict, so really agreement from the ppl here is not exactly a big surprise. This is a no brainer.

I simply posted because I wanted others here to witness this outrage and I was sure that at least some here, have not seen this story.

However, just to be clear. In general, I'm pretty damn confortable in my own skin and have been for many years. There are only a few ppl in my life in RL and not-so RL, actually very very few, who's affirmation is even somewhat important to me. You know where I'm going with this, right?
(10-24-2012, 07:24 PM)Ashock Wrote:

take care
Tarabulus

take care
Tarabulus

Hmm, you think that I need affirmation in my opinions? That is not why I posted this. Besides, seriously you have to be mentally retarded to actually agree with this verdict, so really agreement from the ppl here is not exactly a big surprise. This is a no brainer.

I simply posted because I wanted others here to witness this outrage and I was sure that at least some here, have not seen this story.

However, just to be clear. In general, I'm pretty damn confortable in my own skin and have been for many years. There are only a few ppl in my life in RL and not-so RL, actually very very few, who's affirmation is even somewhat important to me. You know where I'm going with this, right?

Brilliant. We can have a wonderful truce by agreeing that we don't give *insert expletive* about what we think about each other. Works for me.

Care to explain why you felt the need to belittle Italy in your original post?

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.
Actually, the takeaway from here is that, if you're a seismologist standing to conflict of interest with civic and national agencies who have no inclination to re-work ancient infrastructure to make it safe for habitation— get the Hell of of Dodge, because they're going to find someone to blame. And that will likely be the ones with the least legal support.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
(10-25-2012, 08:35 AM)Rhydderch Hael Wrote: Actually, the takeaway from here is that, if you're a seismologist standing to conflict of interest with civic and national agencies who have no inclination to re-work ancient infrastructure to make it safe for habitation— get the Hell of of Dodge, because they're going to find someone to blame. And that will likely be the ones with the least legal support.

What I am very positive about is that this court in Italy apparantly thinks that scientists can predict things. So they don't any longer believe earthquakes are punishments from God.....because f they did they could of course never find these people guilty.

That is of course the reason why in the US this would never happen.....half of every jury believes natural disasters are punishments from God.

Seriously this is a very...but it might very well have to do with protecting all the criminal building companies that used inferior cement and Berlusconi who made a mess of the help efforts after the earthquake.
(10-24-2012, 03:07 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 11:11 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: My score: 37 of 50 correct (second guessed at least 3 or 4 into errors) Blush

I beat you by 1!

Made it to 41. Didn't have many chances to second guess myself though. Most of the questions were either clearly "I know that" or "that was covered in Physics 3, and I quit after 2."
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
(10-25-2012, 12:42 PM)Maitre Wrote: Made it to 41. Didn't have many chances to second guess myself though. Most of the questions were either clearly "I know that" or "that was covered in Physics 3, and I quit after 2."

39....nice quiz.
Quote:Made it to 41. Didn't have many chances to second guess myself though. Most of the questions were either clearly "I know that" or "that was covered in Physics 3, and I quit after 2."

46 like you I pretty much knew it or I didn't, though I did make a mental calculation wrong on one of them. I also realized that the majority of them I learned in high school. It's not that I didn't have physics/chemistry/biology in college, but everything covered in my first two semesters of chem in college I had in advanced chem in high school. The first semester of physics in college was covered in high school. It gave me appreciation for being lucky to have been born in an area where public education was done well here in the US, though most of the classes I learned that stuff from weren't required.

I do listen to and watch a lot of science/nature documentaries though so that helps keeps some of the knowledge fresh since it's been a long time since I really studied much of this.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(10-25-2012, 12:06 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 10:44 PM)NuurAbSaal Wrote: Amazing how you neatly packed your chauvinism into so short a post. Thank Jebus there weren't any ridiculous first verdicts in US courts, ever, else you'd look a tad silly.

take care
Tarabulus

take care
Tarabulus

Brilliant. We can have a wonderful truce by agreeing that we don't give *insert expletive* about what we think about each other. Works for me.

take care
Tarabulus

Italy, among the so-called first world nations, is not exactly on the forefront. Their rural areas are pretty damn backword, and this verdict proves that point. Simple as that. As far as why I felt necessary to point that out in the OP, well... just look at the verdict. It could not happen in most if not all first world countries. At least not yet.
(10-25-2012, 05:07 PM)Ashock Wrote:
(10-25-2012, 12:06 AM)NuurAbSaal Wrote:
(10-23-2012, 11:20 PM)Ashock Wrote: Amazing how you chose to concentrate on the irrelevant and the irreverent and decided to ignore the real issue here.

take care
Tarabulus

take care
Tarabulus

Italy, among the so-called first world nations, is not exactly on the forefront. Their rural areas are pretty damn backword, and this verdict proves that point. Simple as that. As far as why I felt necessary to point that out in the OP, well... just look at the verdict. It could not happen in most if not all first world countries. At least not yet.

Two words: Citizens United.

If that isn't a backwards decision, I'm not sure what is.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)