Good luck to those in the way of Sandy
Good luck to those of you being hit by Sandy. We'll be thinking of you.

(The news won't let us forget! Wink )
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Thanks for the topic Loch, I was just thinking of our New Englanders this morning on my drive in to work. Batten down the hatches, and hang on to something solid!!!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

So far it hasn't been bad. There's only one reported fatality in MD (and that was due to a car accident, literally about a mile from my house).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(10-30-2012, 04:35 AM)Lissa Wrote: So far it hasn't been bad. There's only one reported fatality in MD (and that was due to a car accident, literally about a mile from my house).

From here in Northern Virginia, the storm amounted to a solid "meh." The decision to close schools for Mon-Tues was made on Saturday, and the biggest impact here was 11-3 last night-this morning. Just another high profit day for all the stores that sold out of water and batteries this past week-end; at least in this area. I do not envy anyone closer to the coast, or the mountains though, reportedly tides did for some and snow for others.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
I don't live anywhere near the awfulness, but the storm is doing some crazy things to Lake Erie.

[Image: 21759_10151311472459369_527414487_n.png]

That's I90 going through Cleveland, and that's Lake Erie crashing against it yesterday. They have since closed this portion of the highway.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
One of my coworkers was told today she is scheduled to have power restored eight days from now. I was fortunate, I had only one window blown in, and my power is back on now. Most of my coworkers are still without power. My boss has no power, heat, or water. One person told me she had had power back on for about an hour until the substation blew up.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Will Sandy be Obama's Katrina? {question withdrawn}
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Thanks, it's been absolutely chaotic here in NYC, especially since I work in the construction business. Transportation is a mess, I've been walking several miles a day instead of dealing with lines and overcrowded subway/buses.

I was fortunate enough to sustain power and even internet throughout the storm. I live in a part of Manhattan that's not too close to a low lying area, so flooding wasn't a concern either. So all in all I've been very fortunate, along with my family in other boroughs, long island, PA, and upstate NY.

A lot of people can't say the same though. Walking through parts of the city that was flooded makes it seem like a scene out of a movie. Absolute devastation. Many are without power, cars, or even homes now, so my thoughts go out to them as well.

Thanks again for your post.
(11-03-2012, 02:18 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Will Sandy be Obama's Katrina?

The FEMA people came by today to see if they could help.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(10-29-2012, 05:14 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Good luck to those of you being hit by Sandy. We'll be thinking of you.

(The news won't let us forget! Wink )

I always follow these events with extra attention. We were in South Beach, Miami when hurricane Wilma passed.
Our hotel only lost power for 2 days but many parts of southern Florida had to wait a few weeks for that.
We had to skip visiting the everglades and the keys because of the destruction and flooding, but it was an amazing experience.

Of course actually living in an area that is hit is something completely different.....loosing your house or worse is terrible of course.
(11-03-2012, 02:18 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Will Sandy be Obama's Katrina?

Let me say in all politeness ... $#%$ you.

I spend a day without power at my house, with some minor wind damage. 2 days at the beach house cleaning up because a foot of water got in - and we were lucky. Still have no idea when power will come back on. Deli in our bayside town burnt out because the Fire Department couldn't respond. Know a bunch of people who lost everything on their first floor.

First time I look at the LL since and this is the first thing I see? "Heckuva Job Brownie" (yes, Mr Head-of-FEMA during Katrina) criticized FEMA for responding too soon and this is your response?

Gov Christie (a guy I openly hate) responding to the crisis well, and saying "If you think right now I give a damn about presidential politics, then you don't know me" and I come back to your FreeRepublic drivel?

You take this mess that none of us affected have even had a chance to breath from and start your stupid political potshots, trying to get your digs in against Those Damn Democrats™?

FYI, FEMA was all over our beach town two days ago even though it wasn't one of the publicly called out places (Seaside Heights, LBI, Ocean City, Atlantic City, Staten Island ...).

I'm so over your concern trolling; you're finally going on my ignore list.

$#%$. You.

Edit: http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/20...epublicans
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
(11-04-2012, 04:23 PM)Quark Wrote: Let me say in all politeness ... $#%$ you.
I'm glad we could discuss it rationally.

Truthfully, I want FEMA to work and people to not suffer. I heard that query on CNN the other day, and it was a cautionary thought. When infrastructure gets destroyed, how do you really coordinate logistics to protect everyone. It's political, because the responsibility for saving everyone is being taken on by the government.

I'd rather be ignored than have your hate and vitriol dumped on me once a month when you deign to bother to stoop to talk to the trash. Good luck with that.

(11-05-2012, 07:03 AM)kandrathe Wrote:
(11-04-2012, 04:23 PM)Quark Wrote: Let me say in all politeness ... $#%$ you.
I'm glad we could discuss it rationally.

Truthfully, I want FEMA to work and people to not suffer. I heard that query on CNN the other day, and it was a cautionary thought. When infrastructure gets destroyed, how do you really coordinate logistics to protect everyone. It's political, because the responsibility for saving everyone is being taken on by the government.

I'd rather be ignored than have your hate and vitriol dumped on me once a month when you deign to bother to stoop to talk to the trash. Good luck with that.

Ok Kan, enough. You're the one that put out the bullshit response intially to Loch's geninue query to make sure none of the people on these boards was harmed (many of us, myself, Bolty, Quark, Tri, Tyson, Raelf, and Tal were all in the initial path of this storm, others were hit by the after affects like Shoju and probably Zynli and Rippa). If you had any idea what people went through that got hit by Sandy, you wouldn't have put up the comment that you put up initially. The sheer innatey of your original comment, "will this be Obama's Katrina" shows just how stupid your thought process on it was. There was nothing rational about your initial comment and was purely partisan unlike others that showed concern of the situation for those in the path.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

(11-05-2012, 07:15 AM)Lissa Wrote: Ok Kan, enough. You're the one that put out the bullshit response intially to Loch's geninue query to make sure none of the people on these boards was harmed (many of us, myself, Bolty, Quark, Tri, Tyson, Raelf, and Tal were all in the initial path of this storm, others were hit by the after affects like Shoju and probably Zynli and Rippa). If you had any idea what people went through that got hit by Sandy, you wouldn't have put up the comment that you put up initially. The sheer innatey of your original comment, "will this be Obama's Katrina" shows just how stupid your thought process on it was.
First, I'm sorry if it was taken as callous. Really, I'm truly sorry if it offended anyone.

(11-05-2012, 07:15 AM)Lissa Wrote: There was nothing rational about your initial comment and was purely partisan unlike others that showed concern of the situation for those in the path.
Except my first response days earlier on the 29th... I have many friends our there and I really do care...

(10-29-2012, 06:31 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Thanks for the topic Loch, I was just thinking of our New Englanders this morning on my drive in to work. Batten down the hatches, and hang on to something solid!!!

(11-05-2012, 07:25 AM)kandrathe Wrote:
(11-05-2012, 07:15 AM)Lissa Wrote: Ok Kan, enough. You're the one that put out the bullshit response intially to Loch's geninue query to make sure none of the people on these boards was harmed (many of us, myself, Bolty, Quark, Tri, Tyson, Raelf, and Tal were all in the initial path of this storm, others were hit by the after affects like Shoju and probably Zynli and Rippa). If you had any idea what people went through that got hit by Sandy, you wouldn't have put up the comment that you put up initially. The sheer innatey of your original comment, "will this be Obama's Katrina" shows just how stupid your thought process on it was.
First, I'm sorry if it was taken as callous. Really, I'm truly sorry if it offended anyone.

(11-05-2012, 07:15 AM)Lissa Wrote: There was nothing rational about your initial comment and was purely partisan unlike others that showed concern of the situation for those in the path.
Except my first response days earlier on the 29th... I have many friends our there and I really do care...

(10-29-2012, 06:31 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Thanks for the topic Loch, I was just thinking of our New Englanders this morning on my drive in to work. Batten down the hatches, and hang on to something solid!!!

The point is, your comment of, "will this be Obama's Katrina" was extremely callous and showed extremely poor taste and effectively politicied this storm. You should have thought better before making the post in the first place. There was potential for various people on these boards to have died due to this storm. Next time, think before you make a comment like this.

Uh guys? I think Kan has had enough. He admitted he meant no harm and has apologized. I think it's best to chalk it up to words not conveying meaning well.
I do hope that the relief efforts have been helping. I know that in the face of what was going on, a local Ambulance Company sent 5 crews to New York (before the storm), and that our local Electric Provider sent about 60 men to New Jersey ahead of time to be ready. One of them, I know. He's the father of my Son's Girlfriend.

For us, the storm was crazy, we got drenched, the river across from where I worked tested the limits of the new flooding precautions that the city had implemented (oh god if they hadn't I would still not be able to get to work).

We were lucky. By those who live around here, we call Mansfield "Little San Fran" because of the hills. I swear, I don't think there is a completely flat street in this town. That helped.

But even the low lying areas around here, where there was rampant flooding, and power loss, suffered oh so very little as compared to the coast. Stay Safe people of the lounge.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright