I really hope some little girl ends up with it.
So, for those of you who don't personally know me, I have been growing my hair for a little over 2 years so that I can donate it to Locks of Love. I had always heard that I had great thick healthy beautiful hair, and how every female friend wanted it.

After hearing this for a while, I thought about a close friend I had in high school who suffered from several diseases (Bone Marrow Cancer, and another). As she became sicker, she started to shun people because the drug cocktail that she was on to treat her condition had left her bald. That all changed when Locks of Love donated a wig to her. It made her more positive, and I believe that it's one of the things that allowed us to have a little more time with her.

After thinking about how it changed her life, I decided that I would grow my hair and donate it. After all this time, I finally decided to donate it today. Here's some pics.

BEFORE:
[Image: before.jpg]

BEFORE (BACK):
[Image: before-back.jpg]

DURING THE CUT:
[Image: mid%20cut.jpg]

THE DONATED HAIR: (it's a mirror, there are only 4 sections not 8)
[Image: cut%20hair.jpg]

AFTER THE CUT:
[Image: after.jpg]

If feels good to have grown it, knowing that one day, hopefully, someone will get as much use out of my hair as my friend did when she received a wig. I don't regret the decision to cut it, even though I will miss my hair more than people would believe.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
That's cool. The thread title had me a little bit nervous. :ph34r:

One of my coworkers apparently did this last year. She's letting it grow out again to donate again. Looks like it will take a while.

Of the sadness I've experienced in life, watching loved ones battle cancer may top the list.
Quote:The thread title had me a little bit nervous. :ph34r:

Me too:(

I wish I had done this when I chopped off my flowing blond locks when I was finally out of my teenage rebellious phase. The girls always told me they envied my hair and I'm sure it would have made someone really happy. Frank the barber swept it into his garbage (fun fact: Frank the barber used a strait razor to cut all that hair).

Good on you, shoju:)

Maybe I'll grow some hair to do this in a few years, but I'm finding that growing hair at my age is getting progressively tougher. The tide is receding:(
Hi,

Quote:. . . I have been growing my hair for a little over 2 years so that I can donate it to Locks of Love.

. . . I decided that I would grow my hair and donate it. . . .

If feels good to have grown it, knowing that one day, hopefully, someone will get as much use out of my hair as my friend did when she received a wig. I don't regret the decision to cut it, even though I will miss my hair more than people would believe.
Good on you. That is truly a gift of love.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I have to say it's been REALLY weird today trying to function. I keep trying to pull my hair back before I brush my teeth, when I sit on the couch, etc...
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Good on you! I've had several friends do this, and having been with several family members and close friends as they fought cancer I know how much this can mean to people. I'd probably give it a go if I was even remotely capable of growing hair like that.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:I have to say it's been REALLY weird today trying to function. I keep trying to pull my hair back before I brush my teeth, when I sit on the couch, etc...

Congratulations to you, for giving something of yourself to aid others. :)

I have the sort of hair that never has engendered envy in others and grows at a very slow rate, too. :lol: So this has never been an option for me.

FWIW, a teacher in my sons' school has donated his hair annually for a long time. (It grows a good six to eight inches a year.) He has it cut off at the nape of the neck, just below a 'pony-tail' elastic. This allows him to keep his hair back all the time, even right after the annual cut. Maybe this approach will aid next time?
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

I tried doing this. I had hair down to the middle of my back and hoped to donate it to them. However, I found they didn't want it. :(I first saw gray hair in my mid 20s. There is now more gray than not and, apparently, they don't want to make gray wigs, either the hair is too thin or the color is undesirable. I was disappointed.

BTW, good on you, with added cool points for planning to do this from the start. My attempt was an afterthought.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Well played. It's sometimes the simple kindnesses that make the world a much better place.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
edit.
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Very awesome of you! More people should be doing that.

As a girl, i grew my hair really long once, lower back length. Then i decided to cut it. The barber ending up molesting my head . . . . and i came out with 1 inch long hair!!!. Needless to say i will never cut my hair that short again : D
Dianotosa 85 Druid
Kirayla 85 Hunter
Bubblegirl 85 Paladin
Linnara 85 Priest
Solasha 85 Warlock
Lucindia 82 Mage
Kirrily 81 Shaman
Kudos to you. I had no idea there even was such a program, after spending about 15 seconds thinking about it, it seems obvious though. Just goes to show that it doesn't take a ton of money to donate something significant.

And I have to agree with Angel, short is better;)

Considering my hair too long when it reaches about 1 inch, I usually would not have that much to donate...

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.