I feel like I live in a backwards part of the world
So, I'm a web designer. I've taken a job at a local company designing their site, doing some graphic design, and generally just building an online presence for them.

Now that the site is up and going, they have decided to cultivate an email list of customers so that they can send newsletters, coupons, etc..

I'm going through and building the list of emails, and I haven't seen this many Aol, hotmail, and bright.net email addresses in YEARS. Are these services still popular on a whole? Or is it really just the byproduct of my backwards little corner of the world?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:So, I'm a web designer. I've taken a job at a local company designing their site, doing some graphic design, and generally just building an online presence for them.

Now that the site is up and going, they have decided to cultivate an email list of customers so that they can send newsletters, coupons, etc..

I'm going through and building the list of emails, and I haven't seen this many Aol, hotmail, and bright.net email addresses in YEARS. Are these services still popular on a whole? Or is it really just the byproduct of my backwards little corner of the world?

Depends on your customer base. A number of "older" folks who got on the internet years ago have stayed with the first provider they used (ex: my parents who maintain an AOL account for their personal email and internet use). On the otherhand, I haven't seen an aol or hotmail address for a business or individual professional (e.g., realtor, CPA, etc.) in years.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
FWIW, I am finding that many folks have several email addresses. And the one that they give out, when asked for an address by a company, is usually the hotmail one. Reasons cited include a distancing from their personal mail for relationships with companies and an assertion that hotmail gets less spam.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:an assertion that hotmail gets spammed to hell.
The hotmail/gmail/yahoo mail accounts are generally seen as disposable containers for spam around here (gmail less so), and they are therefore safe to give out to some random company. Safer than your private mail account.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I was looking down the list of realtors in this city a few days ago and was amazed at home many had hotmail, gmail, and yahoo emails. PErsonally I use gmail for my work email since it's web based and fairly easy to organize, however I have it all redirected there from a remax.net address for a more professional appearance.

edit: And anyone who claims Hotmail gets less spam than other emails has no clue imo.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:I was looking down the list of realtors in this city a few days ago and was amazed at home many had hotmail, gmail, and yahoo emails. PErsonally I use gmail for my work email since it's web based and fairly easy to organize, however I have it all redirected there from a remax.net address for a more professional appearance.
edit: And anyone who claims Hotmail gets less spam than other emails has no clue imo.

I don't give out my 'real' account to companies.

--Mav
Hi,

Quote:I don't give out my 'real' account to companies.
I do. I've got a 'special' account that I use just for that. And the Outlook rule for that account is "delete". Only if I'm looking real close when checking mail do I ever see that spicy pork product;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hotmail is free and easy to set up, though I must admit it was annoying that it'd get shut down if you didn't use it long enough. I still have one somewhere.
Oh yea, and people that use MSN messenger would probaly have one as well.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Quote:edit: And anyone who claims Hotmail gets less spam than other emails has no clue imo.

After reading that assertion, I decided to pay more attention to my three email accounts for a while. In the past week and a half, my main email account - the one proviced by my ISP, Rogers - got fifteen spam messages sneaking into my InBox, as opposed to the Spam box. My private and very-seldom-given-out email for my cottage address got zero. And my hotmail account also got zero!

Small sample, perhaps, but even so...
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake