The "recommend a scary movie" for Halloween thread
Halloween is just around the corner and I love horror films. I thought it might be fruitful for us horror fans to recommend some great movies for the occasion.

I'd like to avoid people just posting a list of random horror movies, so please limit the recommendations to 1 movie per post. Please add a brief description and an IMDb link. If you want to recommend multiple films, please do so in separate posts.

My recommendation is Event Horizon, starring Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne. Youtube trailer

When I first saw the trailers for Event Horizon, I thought it was just another sci-fi film. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, so I went and saw it. Event Horizon is not a sci-fi movie. It is a horror film dressed in sci-fi clothes. There is some truly disturbing stuff in there. The basic premise is that a ship is created featuring an experimental propulsion system. They should have left this one on the drawing board, because the crew aboard the prototype ship never knew what was in store for them.
My first recommendation would be the first movie that I gave me nightmares as an (near) adult -- Phantasm.

It was the 2nd feature in a drive-in date night. Needless to say, it was a first and last date. :) Every time I thought (think) of that girl I recall the film.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

My 2nd recommendation would be The Ring. An adequately done rip off of the Japanese version Ringu by Gore Verbinski.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

The 3rd movie in my list would be The Keep. Great combination of Nazi's getting their just desserts, and placating an ancient evil. Great cast, and great score(Tangerine Dream). It was not a good translation by Micheal Mann (who was also the director) from the book, which is better. But, still it is a good film and I watch it anytime it comes on TV.

I'm not a huge scary movie fan, but I just watched Midnight Meat Train for obvious reason, and I did enjoy it. It's not amazing, but it's got some neat parts to it, and some over the top gore and some good suspense at times.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:Halloween is just around the corner and I love horror films. I thought it might be fruitful for us horror fans to recommend some great movies for the occasion.

I'd like to avoid people just posting a list of random horror movies, so please limit the recommendations to 1 movie per post. Please add a brief description and an IMDb link. If you want to recommend multiple films, please do so in separate posts.

My recommendation is Event Horizon, starring Sam Neill and Laurence Fishburne. Youtube trailer

When I first saw the trailers for Event Horizon, I thought it was just another sci-fi film. I'm a big fan of sci-fi, so I went and saw it. Event Horizon is not a sci-fi movie. It is a horror film dressed in sci-fi clothes. There is some truly disturbing stuff in there. The basic premise is that a ship is created featuring an experimental propulsion system. They should have left this one on the drawing board, because the crew aboard the prototype ship never knew what was in store for them.

Awesome suggestion by the way. I do quite love that movie.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
If you want scary, time to pull out the japanese movies. The are some truly incredible horror directors producing films in Japan, here are some I've personally seen:

Suicide Club
Ringu
Ju-On

All of those, in myself and Tori's opinion (who is *not* a horror fan by any stretch) were very well done and far superior to their american counterparts, which were far more external in their depictions.

Of honorable mention, at least by kinship to horror, is suspense. This has a very Ang Lee does Hitchcock feel to it and is rather noir in it's story:

Hard Candy

That's all my wracked brain can come up right at the moment, though I know I'm forgetting something. Hope you all find what you're searching for!

~Frag:whistling:
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Quote:Awesome suggestion by the way. I do quite love that movie.
That gave me nightmares for the better part of a year.

~Frag:blink:
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Hi,

Best horror film ever was billed as Sci-fi: Alien. Sequels were blah, IMO.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

I still think the best horror movie I've ever seen was the original Hellraiser. Everyone should see it before they make the remake, which Im sure will not be as good.

Basic premise (care of IMDB): Clive Barker's feature directing debut graphically depicts the tale of a man and wife who move into an old house and discover a hideous creature - the man's half-brother, who is also the woman's former lover - hiding upstairs. Having lost his earthly body to a trio of S&M demons, the Cenobites, he is brought back into existence by a drop of blood on the floor. He soon forces his former mistress to bring him his necessary human sacrifices to complete his body... but the Cenobites won't be happy about this.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Being a total Horror freak this is gonna be hard for me to make cuts in the list...

I'll start with The Omen.

The original Donner flick is definately superior but the 2006 remake is also quality.

Plot is simple but sweet. Family's new-born baby boy is swapped out with the son of the devil.

(another good satan spawn movie is Rosemary's Baby)
Quote:Awesome suggestion by the way. I do quite love that movie.
I just picked up the 2-disk special edition today and watched it, which is what prompted me to start this thread. Event Horizon is great.

Quote:Best horror film ever was billed as Sci-fi: Alien. Sequels were blah, IMO.

Alien was awesome. Very scary stuff. Most of the sequels were quite bad, but Aliens was great as a pure action/sci-fi movie. It wasn't scary, but had a lot of entertaining eye candy.

Another one of my favourite horror movies is the remake of The Hills Have Eyes. It's incredibly disturbing, especially if you have a young family. The sequel pretty much sucked though.
I was gonna recommend The Exorcist next, but instead i'll offer 3 good horror flicks from different sub-genres of horror. The Exorcist is pretty close to The Omen.

Pete already offered Alien, but for my buck the best Monster movie is definately John Carpenter's The Thing.

If you're working at an antartic science base first rule of thumb is "Don't go digging up alien space ships!"
And last i'll offer up an entry in the overly populated torture-pron that dominates horror. Most of it is total crap but Wolf Creek is thoroughly chilling.
Quote:Wolf Creek

The same guy also made Rogue, which is the best damn crocodile movie I have ever seen!
Hi,

Quote:Pete already offered Alien, but for my buck the best Monster movie is definately John Carpenter's The Thing.
Yep. Both the original and the remake. Prefer Alien by just a smidgen, but YMMV;)

I looked in the horror genre to refresh my mind, and I guess that I don't know what a horror film is (lots of films there that I'd seen but hadn't thought of as horror) and I'm not much of a horror buff. But I did run across What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? which I remember from my HS days.

--Pete

Quote:Best horror film ever was billed as Sci-fi: Alien.

Yup, Alien was great. (It scared me so much that, since seeing it, I'm completely unable to leave the safety of my room, go off on my own, wander around in the dark in my underwear, and look for my cat whenever deadly monsters are around.)

For a good, spooky film, I'll nominate Don't Look Now.
For anyone who likes a little interaction with their horror, I'd recommend Yahtzee's "Chzo Mythos" series of games. (5 days a stranger, 7 days a skeptic, Trilby's Notes, 6 days a sacrifice.) As games, they're fairly short, fairly easy adventure games. Play them late at night with the sound turned up, however, and they're scary (at least for me) in a way that most horror movies just aren't. Plus, they're all pretty much one giant tribute to classic slasher flicks, complete with machete weilding psycho.

They can all be found at adventuregamestudio.co.uk, or at Yahtzee's site at fullyramblomatic.com. They're free for download.

However, I have a childhood phobia of "Choose Your own Adventure" books, so maybe I'm weird that way. B)

-Jester
Three cheers (that sound sadly hollow and fake, with the pospect of being cut short by an agonising scream) for Event Horizon. I could not sleep AT ALL the night I first saw it.

My recommendation goes out to something more suspense then horror, The Shining. Even after having seen the hilarious Simpson version, this still sits among the scariest experiences in my life. I might be wrong, but I think Pete should like the movie also.:)

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Hi,

Quote:My recommendation goes out to something more suspense then horror, The Shining. . . . I might be wrong, but I think Pete should like the movie also.:)
Oh, my. Technically, it was a great movie, but I've only seen it once, didn't like it (to put it mildly) and never wanted to watch it again. I'd be hard pressed to say just what it is about that movie, but it punched all the wrong buttons for me (ghosts, madness, isolation) and it punched some of them in just too intense a manner. Largely, I get irritated when I feel that I'm being manipulated, and The Shining, like much of Stephen King, is just too blatantly manipulative.

I don't know if I can explain that, but it lies with the difference between an author (or director) telling a story with the result that I get scared and them telling a story to scare me. Somehow, some stories feel forced and to those I react with irritation bordering on anger. The Shining, along with all Steven King's books and movies made from his books (except for Salem's Lot which I enjoyed in both forms) rank way up there in obvious manipulation. So, they rank waaaaay down there in my personal list of favorites.

Obligatory link: the ending of A Clockwork Orange is perhaps the scariest (in a disturbing way) movie experiences ever (at least for me).

--Pete