MS Excel 2000 Q
I've been working on a document in Microsoft Excel 2000 and got the idea to insert a picture when a image/command button is pressed. I wrote a macro to open MyPic's, retrieve a picture I wanted, resize the pic and put it where I wanted it. Nifty, however I can't seem to get the macro or command button to simply open to MyPic folder and wait for the user to select a picture before running the rest of the Macro - it has to be a specific picture - and can't seem to locate any specific information on the net to do this for Excel (I guess it's pretty simple in Access...). Anyone here know how one might go about doing this? I've tried several tips, including a macro to call Open Pictures (this gave me runtime errors), hyperlinking to the location, however even when it does so, Excel can't figure out I'm trying to insert a picture, lol, amongst other things. I might try MS Forums for this pet project if no one here knows how to do it. Thanks for any replies ahead of time.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I've been working on a document in Microsoft Excel 2000 and got the idea to insert a picture when a image/command button is pressed. I wrote a macro to open MyPic's, retrieve a picture I wanted, resize the pic and put it where I wanted it. Nifty, however I can't seem to get the macro or command button to simply open to MyPic folder and wait for the user to select a picture before running the rest of the Macro - it has to be a specific picture - and can't seem to locate any specific information on the net to do this for Excel (I guess it's pretty simple in Access...). Anyone here know how one might go about doing this? I've tried several tips, including a macro to call Open Pictures (this gave me runtime errors), hyperlinking to the location, however even when it does so, Excel can't figure out I'm trying to insert a picture, lol, amongst other things. I might try MS Forums for this pet project if no one here knows how to do it. Thanks for any replies ahead of time.
Are you using pure Excel macros, or VBA?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Are you using pure Excel macros, or VBA?

Well, I'm not sure what VBA is, so I must be using just the Excel macros; I locate the mircos command under Tools in Excel.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
If it's Excel 2000, then it's VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

Quote:If it's Excel 2000, then it's VBA (Visual Basic for Applications).
Not necessarily. Excel 2003 eliminated macros completely. Excel 2000 supported both macros and VBA (which, for MEAT, is Visual Basic for Applications -- much nicer and more powerful than macros). I downloaded the macro help file to see if I could refresh my memory since I haven't used macros in a looooong time. But it wouldn't open for me, gave me a "You don't have any Office 2000 applications" error message (I'm running 2003).

Aside to MEAT -- see if you can download this file (I was only able to find it through the Excel help system) and look to see if there is some kind of an "open file" macro function. I don't remember one way or the other.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
Not necessarily. Excel 2003 eliminated macros completely. Excel 2000 supported both macros and VBA (which, for MEAT, is Visual Basic for Applications -- much nicer and more powerful than macros). I downloaded the macro help file to see if I could refresh my memory since I haven't used macros in a looooong time. But it wouldn't open for me, gave me a "You don't have any Office 2000 applications" error message (I'm running 2003).

Aside to MEAT -- see if you can download this file (I was only able to find it through the Excel help system) and look to see if there is some kind of an "open file" macro function. I don't remember one way or the other.

--Pete
Yes, this is my problem as well. I have Office 2007, and I never used the simple Excel Macros much.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Not necessarily. Excel 2003 eliminated macros completely.
My mistake then. I thought they'd removed the old macro system from Office '97 onwards.

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

Quote:My mistake then. I thought they'd removed the old macro system from Office '97 onwards.
[huffy]Well, don't let it happen again![/huffy]

:lol:

I was right there with you until I went searching for an answer and ran accross the 2000 macro help file.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Aside to MEAT -- see if you can download this file (I was only able to find it through the Excel help system) and look to see if there is some kind of an "open file" macro function. I don't remember one way or the other.

Alright, I'm googling Visual Basic for Applications right now and will download whatever I find, but I'm always wary of downloading new things. How does VBA differ from Macros? How do I write a VBA script to work in Excel? I use to know how to program in Visual Basic+, before all that .net crap, so I wonder how much different it is.

EDIT - I can't seem to find this as a stand-alone application. I need to purchase Visual Studio... Are you telling me MS Excel past 2000 not only does not support Macros, but you also need to purchase Visual Studio to have access to a tool to write script for Excel? Lame... Oh Bittorrent, where art thou?
Quote:Are you telling me MS Excel past 2000 not only does not support Macros, but you also need to purchase Visual Studio to have access to a tool to write script for Excel? Lame... Oh Bittorrent, where art thou?
I don't know about in Excel 2000, but with Excel 2007, if you bring up the help and search for Macros, it tells you how to access them (they're not available by default).

-W.C. Fields