Steam Winter Sale 2012
Just a heads up, the Steam Winter Sale has begun. Glee!

As usual:
  • Don't buy anything unless it's a daily deal or a flash deal until the last day of the event (January 5th), because games get extra special prices on those deals. If you don't get a flash or daily deal on what you want, then buy away on the 5th.
  • You can buy a game as a gift, send it to your inventory, and use it as a gift to give to people or to trade in the future.
  • Steam now emails you if a game on your wishlist goes on sale. You can add all the games you want to watch to your wishlist and get an alert if they're up for a special deal.
  • Lock your wallet up and throw away the key.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Steam sales always sucker me in. LOVE the new wishlist notifications. Always love getting good games for under $5. Eventually, I'll have all the games I want and won't have to pay attention to their sales anymore, right? RIGHT?
Intolerant monkey.
Argh... Prince of Persia Complete Pack (5 awesomely well written games) for $12.24 today... 1 had a Meta scorre of 75, the other 4 were 82-85, which is solid in my benchmarking.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Was looking at Legend of Grimrock. Kevin, did you end up finishing or dumping it? Has anyone else played it? I guess for $3.74 it can't be too bad. What about Darksiders (both)? Anyone played it?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Hi,

(12-21-2012, 11:36 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Was looking at Legend of Grimrock. Kevin, did you end up finishing or dumping it? Has anyone else played it? I guess for $3.74 it can't be too bad.

I'm only at dungeon level 9 (out of 12), but I really like the game. Very old school in game design, which for me is a good thing, yet modern in presentation and controls. I found it very refreshing to solve classical puzzles in a non-random dungeon for a change. And now that the editor is out, there are a lot of fan-made mods to play if the main game isn't enough for you.

I paid more than $3.74 and don't regret it.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
I always have trouble passing up games when they get to the price of a Happy Meal. Problem is I have more of them than I have time to play!
(12-21-2012, 11:36 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: What about Darksiders (both)? Anyone played it?

The first one is a very good Zelda-esque adventure game. I haven't played the second yet but bought the full pack even though I played the first on console. The only possible issue would be ports. I'm not sure how the game would play without a controller.
(12-23-2012, 03:08 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote:
(12-21-2012, 11:36 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: What about Darksiders (both)? Anyone played it?

The first one is a very good Zelda-esque adventure game. I haven't played the second yet but bought the full pack even though I played the first on console. The only possible issue would be ports. I'm not sure how the game would play without a controller.

Both the first and second claim to have at least partial controller support though which means you may have to use the mouse to navigate some menus, but most of it should be able to be played with a controller. FEAR doesn't list controller support on Steam because you can sort of use the controller with the exception that you can't map ANY action to the triggers so I'm hoping that Darksiders will have better controller support than that since it's actually listed as partial controller support.
Intolerant monkey.
Just throwing this out here; if there's room for Dark Souls in your splurging budget this season, grab it with both hands.

I actually got a boxed retail version dirt cheap a few months ago (Complete with art book, poster, art postcards, soundtrack CD, and making of DVD) which, unfortunately, is exclusive to Europe and since then the game has leapt to second on my most-played list on Steam, and is less than twenty hours away from dethroning TF2.

Yes, there's a raft of issues with the PC version (Poor graphical optimization, controller all but required, GFWL, inherited the Xbox's crappy netcode) but despite all that, it's an amazing game.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Any old MOO and MOO II players (or even Gal Civ / Gal Civ 2 players) able to comment on Endless Space?

I like MOO though the interface makes it unplayable for me now a days. I sunk way too much time into MoO II. MoO III as well all know failed horribly.

I enjoyed Gal Civ 2 to an extent, and I still have it (Ultimate Edition actually) and fire it up from time to time but I end up going "meh" pretty quick. I've fired up MOO 2 relatively recently but I want something new.

Endless Space keeps popping up on my radar and I've poked at reviews and there are things about it that I think I would really enjoy. I'm just curious as to what other Lurkers might have to say. Oh and if it helps I liked both Civ 4 and Civ 5 but sometimes I want to take over the Galaxy.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Hi,

(12-24-2012, 06:47 PM)Kevin Wrote: Any old MOO and MOO II players (or even Gal Civ / Gal Civ 2 players) able to comment on Endless Space?

You might remember Sirian, who (besides Diablo) played and reported on a lot of games of MoO, Civ etc. on his homepage. He talked about his experience with Endless Space on Realms Beyond recently (thread is here; scroll down for more remarks on the game by him). Maybe you find that of value - I did.

I'm debating buying it myself for some time now. The AI seems not to be very intelligent, which for me is a big negative - I don't like AIs that have to cheat too much to be competetive. Otherwise, the game sounds very appealing. Damn, now it's on sale on Steam, but I just bought Mirror's Edge, Bastion and Portal... Angry

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
(12-24-2012, 09:03 PM)Kylearan Wrote: Hi,

(12-24-2012, 06:47 PM)Kevin Wrote: Any old MOO and MOO II players (or even Gal Civ / Gal Civ 2 players) able to comment on Endless Space?

You might remember Sirian, who (besides Diablo) played and reported on a lot of games of MoO, Civ etc. on his homepage. He talked about his experience with Endless Space on Realms Beyond recently (thread is here; scroll down for more remarks on the game by him). Maybe you find that of value - I did.

I'm debating buying it myself for some time now. The AI seems not to be very intelligent, which for me is a big negative - I don't like AIs that have to cheat too much to be competetive. Otherwise, the game sounds very appealing. Damn, now it's on sale on Steam, but I just bought Mirror's Edge, Bastion and Portal... Angry

-Kylearan

Yep I remember Sirian. Thanks for the link, haven't read it all but it did tip me over (and I'll read more as I get time). I posted about it because it was on sale today. I went ahead and grabbed it and am still digging through early tutorials (I'm on turn 4). I like the interface. To me it feels like a modern MOO 2 interface. This is actually a good thing for me.

If the AI doesn't become too problematic this has the potential to fill the niche I'm looking for it to fill.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(12-21-2012, 11:36 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Was looking at Legend of Grimrock. Kevin, did you end up finishing or dumping it? Has anyone else played it? I guess for $3.74 it can't be too bad. What about Darksiders (both)? Anyone played it?

I ended up grabbing Grimrock. I started out loving it. It takes me back to my love for the first crawls - Wizardry (the reason for the purchase of my first computer, an Apple II+), Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder, etc. I'm down to the 6th and 7th levels and it is getting frustrating. I can defeat the baddies and mostly figure out what to do for the puzzles, but I fail over and over again. I end up checking online for puzzle solutions only to find I already know the answer. It ends up being that I am unable to hit the correct keys fast enough or accurately enough. My hands shake all the time anyway and it is exacerbated by stress so my fingers are too slow or are flying all over trying to hit the right key. I wish there was a better waay to handle those puzzles. I want to love this one all the way to the end but it is getting more and more frustrating.

Anyway, If you're ok on the keyboard and would love a basic dungeon crawl, go for this one, especially if it shows up on their next sale.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."