Computer purchasing help.
I have a friend (in Florida so you know where things will ship to) that is in need of a computer. She currently has a laptop that is dying on her and wants to switch to a desktop. Has the various accessories for one like mouse, keyboard, and printer. She also plans to use a TV she has as the monitor. So just needs a tower, but will need all the parts for that... case, memory, hard drive, video card, etc. She does know somebody who has experience assembling computers, but he tends to want to spend every drop of money he can on it and she is looking to not do that. So I thought I would post here for some suggestions.

My understanding is that there is a hard cap of $1,000 on this. She would prefer to spend as much less than that as she can. So aim for low, but if an upgrade is worthwhile and keeps things under that amount then it is probably fine too. Just try to favor cheaper with an eye on the future. It is also conceivable that she could order stuff to get a working machine now and then upgrade further later on so where possible do try to future proof.

Usage seems to be some gaming. I was told specifically games like Borderlands and the new Tomb Raider if those help give a reference for necessary power level.

Think you can help me come up with suggestions for her? I've never been overly good at picking things myself, but I know some people on here are.
How soon is she wanting this?
Reason: In the next two to three months both Intel and AMD are going to be releasing their new processors, can she wait or must this be done now?

Also, is there a MicroCenter near you or her?
Reason: Right now MicroCenter has some deals going on where if you buy either an Intel i3 3225 or i5 3570k, they have a discount running on both and you get a $50 discount on certain motherboards as well (and some of those have a further discount, meaning you can pick up the i3 3225 and motherboard for under $200, normally the i3 is around $135 to $145)

How high a quality does she want the games to look with those that she is going to play?
Reason: This determines how much she's willing to spend on the video card.

Once I know the answer to these questions, I can thow something together (or potentially wait if she's in no hurry and can wait for the new processors which would drive down present processors).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Just bought a i5 3570k + everything else to build a computer from scratch and I can say it's a really, REALLY strong CPU for the price and I second the suggestion to go to a MicroCenter.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(02-25-2013, 03:24 AM)Frag Wrote: Just bought a i5 3570k + everything else to build a computer from scratch and I can say it's a really, REALLY strong CPU for the price and I second the suggestion to go to a MicroCenter.

Yep, I've been running a 3570 for about 10 months now. I picked it up 2 weeks after release in a really good bundle deal $250 with a $35 instant discount and $25 mail in so $190 back then, it's around that now, but like Lissa said, when the new processors come out, it will drop in price again. But even without that, it's a great processor, even with the stock fan I've been running it .3 GHz over stock. If I would bother to get a real HS I could likely put it at .8 GHz over rated.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(02-25-2013, 03:14 AM)Lissa Wrote: How high a quality does she want the games to look with those that she is going to play?
Reason: This determines how much she's willing to spend on the video card.

The real hang-up is going to be Tomb Raider. My understanding is that this game can be a beast to run and I've seen very little on what sort of scale down options there are for it. Borderlands is more a known variable and there are many cards that can work with varying degrees of success.

If this isn't something that is needed NOW, then I would suggest waiting a bit. Even if only to see what sort of performance different cards get while playing the new Tomb Raider and what sort of scalability options it offers.
Another question, what O/S does she have on the laptop? Depending on what it is, could probably re-use the license from the laptop so long as she never plans to use the laptop again with that O/S, that will save some money as well.

(02-25-2013, 03:48 AM)Kevin Wrote:
(02-25-2013, 03:24 AM)Frag Wrote: Just bought a i5 3570k + everything else to build a computer from scratch and I can say it's a really, REALLY strong CPU for the price and I second the suggestion to go to a MicroCenter.

Yep, I've been running a 3570 for about 10 months now. I picked it up 2 weeks after release in a really good bundle deal $250 with a $35 instant discount and $25 mail in so $190 back then, it's around that now, but like Lissa said, when the new processors come out, it will drop in price again. But even without that, it's a great processor, even with the stock fan I've been running it .3 GHz over stock. If I would bother to get a real HS I could likely put it at .8 GHz over rated.

Thing is, unless you plan to multiplier overclock, you can get by with the non-K model for a bit cheaper (Intel does make a 3570 non-K for about $190, so the multiplier is locked and you lose HD4000 graphic, not a huge loss there, for $30 cheaper).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(02-23-2013, 07:44 PM)swirly Wrote: Just try to favor cheaper with an eye on the future. It is also conceivable that she could order stuff to get a working machine now and then upgrade further later on so where possible do try to future proof.

Future proof should really be called what it really is, future 'resistant' at best.

I'm not a master guru at it, just sharing what I experienced so far.

Some components can be upgraded later on with little problem. Some, like RAM, may not be.

I'm currently running a 4 gig RAM, 3 year old, entry level workstation. It runs ok-acceptable for most of the programs I'm running.

A few weeks ago I saw some great prices on RAM, so I looked to see if my machine can handle an upgrade.

Unfortunately, I found out that no, I could not. My rig uses DDR2 ram, the current great prices are for DDR3, and AFAIK they're not backwards compatible.

I apparently missed the window when DDR2 were still the current thing and prices were still good, because the best price I saw was $170-$200+ for an 8 gig DDR2 ram. For not much more and some types less ($150-+), 16 gig DDR3 type is being offered.

I saw some big box store flyers on their desktop computer sales last week, and they're starting to offer 8 gigs in their mid range lines, 16 in their 'premium' lines.

Add to that, DDR4 is on their way here. Soon,-ish. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/DDR4-IS...14813.html And at least according to the link, it won't be backwards compatible.

But honestly that big box flyer told me something much more concrete.
If the big box is offering 8-16 gigs of ram on their line ups. That means this is the window of opportunity, where DDR3 is still being manufactured and still 'current', there are lots of stock floating around. Something newer is about to come along, but not just...yet. (DDR4).

Some manufacturers are pushing for DDR4 to get here earlier.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/23598/sams...index.html

Though this part I think this part is closer to the truth than any 'concern' for tech progress and incredible benefits for users IMO.

Quote: Inside sources are saying that Samsung are concerned that making DDR3 chips are now unprofitable due to low prices.

Anyways moving along, that usually means this is the part of the tech cycle where this is probably the best as it's going to get for going 'all you can eat, then go for seconds' on the current RAM type.

TL, DR:

DDR3 is still being made, there are lots of stock around, but the next-version is coming soon. When big box stores starts offering 8-16 gigs RAM on their menu, IMO that usually means sellers\manufacturers are starting to offload in prep for the next version.

RAM prices are going to be real good for the next few months I'm predicting, probably even after DDR4 arrives. But not for that long.

My 2 cents, if your friend has any leftover cash, or can squeeze out even a few bit more, RAM is not a bad place to invest that moolah in.

For myself at least, I wished I squeezed more blood from stone to buy 8 gigs of RAM 3 years ago. What can I say, I was young and I needed the rig. Tongue
Just as an update, the impression I'm getting is that she is going to wait a bit. Seems to be what people are recommending and there are other things she can use the money on.
FYI, computer geeks will always say to wait because the next "insert the ideal video card/processor here" is on the horizon that will change everything and lower prices of existing item... same song and dance since the last three times I BYO computer. Eventually she's going to have to settle on something functional. I'd recommend Best Buy refurbished computers: best deal I could find anywhere on the net! And they ship store to store for free! All she has to do is stroll in and pick it up. My son's bought Asus 8gb ram, 6-core processor, 1gb dedicated video card with 1tb sata 3 harddrive for under $500 from that site! I was going to get my work a similar one with dual core and 500gb hd for $250. Like I said, best place on the net.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin