Star Wars VII
Repost (of mine) from another forum:

What's up with bringing back all the old relics of the past:

http://www.movieweb.com/news/carrie-fish...pisode-vii

They are bringing back both Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, and I heard Mark Hammel too. I'd call this a travesty of our day and age if JJ Abrams wasn't the director. I have faith he'll make this a kick ass movie, but I'm just surprised he brought back everyone. Obviously, he does not plan on following the books with Luke's wife, Mara Jade, and their kids, or in Heir to the Throne, the clone of the emperor (who didn't see that coming?). There is so much story in between Return of the Jedi and how old the actors are now in the books, that I really don't see how they'll pull it off in a good story unless they (the old actors) are merely making cameos, but then why go to the trouble to get personal trainers for all of them?

Thoughts?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(05-02-2013, 06:48 PM)Taem Wrote: Thoughts?

If Fisher, Ford, and Hammel are in it I will probably want to watch. If not, I doubt I shall. I skipped the last one.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
The way I understood it was that those characters would indeed be making an appearance in a smaller capacity in episode 7 only. I will try to find where I saw that, but it certainly was not "official". I do agree though, they should not be the focus of the story.

I enjoyed episodes 1-3, despite the obvious flaws. There was little hope that they could actually live up to the unreal expectations. I figure that was the problem, Lucas tried a bit too hard, and maybe should have let someone help. I believe Abrams will give us a fun movie.

Patton Oswalt offered up a few interesting story ideas:
http://youtu.be/5BBhNkywMJY
Ziig (Warrior) - Ako (Hunter) - Amo (Paladin) - Ziade (Monk) - Ziag (DK)
What's the point?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
The only point for those funding the project Space Balls VII: The quest for more money!
(05-02-2013, 06:48 PM)Taem Wrote: Thoughts?
Yawn?

Will Lucas be dead before his entire story is told?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

EIII Was actually one of my favorites of the 6. It would probably go

E VI - Because I saw it in the theatre when it was originally released, and started my love for Star Wars
E V - Because It's probably the best
E III - Because I love the story, and I love when Obi Wan is screaming: YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BRING BALANCE TO THE FORCE, NOT DESTROY IT! Great line. Easily the best line of the prequels
E II - Good Story.
E IV - If The Phantom Menace hadn't been so absolutely terrible, This would be the one I hated most.
E I - Because wow. Jar Jar, and a 20 minute Pod Race. Yes. That's quality entertainment.

Personally, I'm a little sad that they are going to run away from established lore. Lucas had rubberstamped several series as being "official" and I loved some of those stories. I hear that they are going to move away, and start something else is a little dissatisfying, but I'll still be there, opening weekend with my kids.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(05-06-2013, 05:38 PM)shoju Wrote: E IV - If The Phantom Menace hadn't been so absolutely terrible, This would be the one I hated most.

Sad I will always love E IV for the same reason as your E VI. Day one, in the theater, lines around the building everywhere, something never seen before. "WOW! That was great. May I have more please?!" I doubt I will ever again experience a movie thrill like that of when the rebel ship flew in being chased by the Star Destroyer and it went on and on and the theater rumbled. Heart

[edit] Never mind, found it, Season 18, State of Decay - Off topic Doctor Who question: Can someone remind which episode, I think it was the Tom Baker era, had a Star Destroyer like ship plunged straight into a ship/planet acting as a stake driven into the heart of of a giant space vampire? I couldn't find it.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(05-06-2013, 08:06 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Sad I will always love E IV for the same reason as your E VI. Day one, in the theater, lines around the building everywhere, something never seen before. "WOW! That was great. May I have more please?!" I doubt I will ever again experience a movie thrill like that of when the rebel ship flew in being chased by the Star Destroyer and it went on and on and the theater rumbled. Heart
Me too. In 1977, I was about 16 when I went to the cinema with my secondary school computer geek friends. They had just fitted the theater with the sound system pioneered by Lucas for the film. That year for Halloween, we had a SW costume party. I went as a Jawa. My younger sister, a stunning blond, went as Princess Leia iirc.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Yeah, E VI when I was 4, in the theatre was a surreal trip. I'm sure that I would have more love for E IV if it had been my first introduction to it.

But I didn't get to see E IV and E V until we had a VCR a few years later. And by that time, I looked at Vader's Mask, and some of the dialog, and just couldn't understand what was so cool. Even at that age, the flaws in Vader's Mask in E IV were so glaring it bothered me, along with dialog that just didn't feel as "good" as RotJ.

For a while as a kid, I even liked the Ewoks movies with Diabeetus better than E IV.

I love it all now, but if I'm going to pop one in to just watch, that'd be the order I would enjoy them in.

Also, I'm only 33, so I'm a lil' younger than some of you Smile
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
E IV was Star Wars. That was the hook. Without it, the rest doesn't work.

The Empire Strikes Back was the best story, though all of them have plot holes a plenty.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
In related news today:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/06/ea-di...n=Engadget

EA scores exclusive rights to future Star Wars games.
Ziig (Warrior) - Ako (Hunter) - Amo (Paladin) - Ziade (Monk) - Ziag (DK)
Related to that news:

I'm FURIOUS that disney pulled the plug on the Clone Wars Cartoon. That was good stuff.