Haste Rogue? Would it work?
Ok, So I was looking around at the 3.0 changes, and I saw that Haste rating will affect all stats, and that there wont be spell / melee haste. When I saw this, I checked the yellow haste gem (currently spell haste). It becomes just a +8 haste (blue quality) gem.

I love the idea of haste, and I love the idea of rogues speeding up their attack speed. Would this be any 'good'? With the gear set that I came up with, under the.... "sweet spot" (all procs / on use abilities up) using the haste gems where I could (and still getting some hit rating)

-128 haste rating on gear = comes out to 8.625%
-plus the abacus (on use for 260) = comes out to 16.49%
-(bladefist)plus one weapon proc for 180 = comes out to 11.41%
-(blackout truncheon)another weapon proc for 132 (But I wasn't sure if these stacked or not) = comes out to 9.34%
-plus mongoose (a small and flat 2%)

Even without the weapons stacking (if they do it's even crazier) you could get your attack speed under 1.5 for main hand, and close to .74 for off hand with Slice and Dice.

Now, assuming the soft hit rating cap of 142 so special attacks dont miss, would this be even remotely viable for damage? I know that it wont be optimal because it's fist/mace instead of swords, but my initial thought was, "Hey! It doesn't matter! you're swinging REALLY FAST!" But then I'm trying to number crunch, and I don't know if it's even worth farming up instance drops to get the haste rating to try it.

Comments? Point and Laugh and tell me I'm a silly silly man for thinking it?
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Do your own research, nublet!

Hope it helps,
~FragB)
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Pshh.... you act like I know how to use that thing..........
I will figure out how to use that, if you can tell me whether or not the weapon procs stack?

nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:Pshh.... you act like I know how to use that thing..........
I will figure out how to use that, if you can tell me whether or not the weapon procs stack?
They do, however the PPM rate on both of them is horrendous.

~FragB)

P.s. Just call if you want a hand with the spreadsheet.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
well..... I downloaded all the rogue sheets, and none of them have the changes to the yellow gem listed. I will have to do some hard number crunching to see what I can get my haste to.
Quote:well..... I downloaded all the rogue sheets, and none of them have the changes to the yellow gem listed. I will have to do some hard number crunching to see what I can get my haste to.

The sheets with gear & buff definitions are generally hidden, so you can go to Format -> Sheet -> Unhide and change whatever you want.

Using the Roguecraft BC 0.4.1 spreadsheet, I changed a Jagged Deep Peridot (worst gem in the sheet) to give +8 haste rating to simulate a Quick Dawnstone. Putting one in every available socket on my current live gear (but keeping the necessary gems for the meta requirement), and using what will probably become the standard Combat Swords raiding build in 3.0 (5/51/5), I get a DPS loss of ~4.5 which is actually less than I expected. When I put in The Bladefist & Blackout Truncheon, drop Sword Spec, and add Mace Spec + Close Quarters Combat, I lose ~160dps though. The procs on those weapons combined with the relative strength of Sword Spec isn't enough to make up the difference.

My current gear is by no means haste-heavy (only 28 rating total) so results will probably vary with higher-end stuff.
Yeah, I figured that was going to be the result. Oh well.

I don't know what I'm going to do spec wise, I just respecc'd swords today to try out dailies that way today. Once I get some good fists in the xpac he will probably be combat/close quarters speccd.

Thanks for running the numbers, I will have to look into how to edit the spreadsheet (I normally dont use them. I try and do the math, but man that was a lot of math).
Haste used to be awesome until they nerfed the rating per percent gain. The synergy was very good between sword spec and combat potency. It's still good, but +hit is better per point than haste until you're at cap.

This is especially true with the Windfury change, as WF essentially adds a flat % increase on the value of sword spec and white damage already, so missing hurts slightly more than when WF was a per-hit %

It's not that haste is bad. It's that combat potency and sword spec synergy with hit is stronger. It's pretty ridiculous actually, and given what they did to warrior weapon specs, I'm pretty surprised they didn't make more effort to equalize the rogue weapon specs instead of making combat so incredibly slanted towards swords.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.