ACORN
Quote:...although these last few months I've turned it off -- the non-discussion of the non-issues by the non-candidates just got to be too much).
Me too! :D

I've got more important things to do than swear at the TV. I use fewer Tums this way as well.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:The fact that the statistical analysis was done by UC Berkely, makes is suspicious in itself, to me. UC Berkely is a bastion of the left.

This is also very much the public opinion in Holland nowadays. Everything people don't understand is blamed on those lefty university freaks.
Quote:This is also very much the public opinion in Holland nowadays. Everything people don't understand is blamed on those lefty university freaks.
Let's just say that when the revolution comes... it would be better to be a very good welder.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Let's just say that when the revolution comes... it would be better to be a very good welder.

:D I would go for being a good farmer.
Quote:In my precinct we still fill in the box on a form with a #2 pencil. Then we trust that the vote reading machine tabulates the ballot form correctly, but there is at least a paper trail that can be audited.
This is what I don't understand. What stops someone from running an extra stack of ballots through the machine after the polls close? Or letting 'friends' vote dozens of times through out the day?
Delgorasha of <The Basin> on Tichondrius Un-re-retired
Delcanan of <First File> on Runetotem
Quote:This is what I don't understand. What stops someone from running an extra stack of ballots through the machine after the polls close? Or letting 'friends' vote dozens of times through out the day?

Overseers from both parties make both types of fraud very difficult. Whether there is some additional protection against the first, I suspect it varies from place to place. The second would be a lot of very suspicious work anywhere. It would leave everyone involved guilty of voter fraud, and all for a truly pathetic handful of votes. Even if you had a hundred people voting ten times each, that wouldn't swing any but the closest races. This would basically be the voter fraud equivalent of knocking over a 7-11 for cash. Stupid, easy to catch, harshly punishable, and unprofitable.

-Jester
[quote name='MEAT' date='Oct 8 2008, 11:43 AM' post='154933']
I was reading the news today and stumbled upon this article: LINK
The problem is, it raises more questions for me then it answers. Like, what ties does Obama actually have to ACORN? I keep hearing ACORN and Obama tossed in the same sentence over and over, but does anybody here know what supposid ties they share? As most of you probbably know, I am pro-McCain, but I am also pro-facts and this lady's ideas in her article was pretty devoid of factual links, with a lot of inuendo. Did ACORN actually do the things she claims they did, or was she spinning news based on her opinion? I guess this bothers me so because of all the voter fraud that happened in the Bush campaign, including dead people voting, SS#'s used more than once, whole cities ballots rejected... pure bull! If I found out Obama was using this company to cheat they system, well that would enter a whole new realm of reasons why not to vote for the man. As it stands now, I will respect whoever gets elected. Thoughts? FACTS?

Quote:the non-discussion of the non-issues by the non-candidates just got to be too much).
--Pete

so after 2 weeks of the news talking about this I catch this little fact at the end of a report about ACORN. It turns out their required by law to turn in all registrations they collect even if they believe them to be illegitimate. Someone please wake me when this is over!
Hi,

Quote:Let's just say that when the revolution comes... it would be better to be a very good welder.
I'll settle for being a good shot.:)

Having a bad eye day, so I'm 'watching' CNN. Then I caught a commercial and realized a mathematical truth:

Palin : Democrats :: Vista : Macintosh :lol:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote::D I would go for being a good farmer.
Камрад! Вы имеете хлеб?

Quote:Hi,
I'll settle for being a good shot.:)

Having a bad eye day, so I'm 'watching' CNN. Then I caught a commercial and realized a mathematical truth:

Palin : Democrats :: Vista : Macintosh :lol:

--Pete
One of my collegues got a Mac after getting fed up with Vista (and XP for that matter) and has not looked back. He is not a gamer, however.
Hi,

Quote:One of my collegues got a Mac after getting fed up with Vista (and XP for that matter) and has not looked back. He is not a gamer, however.
Being a gamer is probably not the deterrent it once was for owning a Mac. When most games had a life measured in hours and few were available on the Mac, it might have mattered. But now, many games have a life of years, and most games are being released for both the Mac and Wintel machines.

If I can get over my quarter of a century hate for all things Apple, I might be on my last Wintel machines. I've lost a lot of my tolerance for dinking around with security downloads, virus protection crap, self modifying operating systems, etc. Maybe I'll just get Magi and I a couple of gamer's Macs (if such a thing exists) and just play around with Linux machines when I need a dose of frustration.;)

And this branch, to those that care, is an example why outline view is useful for wide ranging threads.:)

--Pete

Quote:And this branch, to those that care, is an example why outline view is useful for wide ranging threads.:)

--Pete
Meh, I cannot even find this thread using outline form. Only three pages are displayed.
Hi,

Quote:Meh, I cannot even find this thread using outline form. Only three pages are displayed.
Yeah. I've pretty much given up on outline for that reason and others. I guess I really meant that this branch would be nice in outline if outline really worked. Ah, well. Still beats the old bulletin boards and on-line services.

--Pete

Hi,

Quote:CNN = Certainly Not News
So, I was surfing and ran across this. Thought it apropos your comment.:)

--Pete

Quote:Hi,
So, I was surfing and ran across this. Thought it apropos your comment.:)

--Pete

On the TV arena, I have to reply on this because I've been seeing something that's curious to me.

It was commented on that link you provided, but I've heard it elsewhere too. That is some people views CNN as the counterpart to FOX News. Wouldn't it be more appropriate to see MSNBC as the counterpart to FOX News, well ok it's really more like Olbermann vs O'Reilly.

Not that I see CNN as the real fair and balanced outlet, more like centrist by default at least by TV standards. That is, they'd gladly have representatives from both sides eg: Bay Buchanan vs J. Carville (sometimes Begalla) butt heads with each other. Then can claim that they covered it from all angles equally.

Whereas FOX News usually IMO looks like a televised talk radio. And MSNBC has Olbermann and Matthews with his thrill up his leg. But if we're going to be cynical about it, I think FOX is taking a page from the Palpatine playbook.

So FOX News caters to rightwing\religious\conservative base, while FOX Network has shows like 'Family Guy' crossing the line of partisan smears with this episode.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,441301,00.html

Just what kind of biased Li(e)beral Media Elite with their filters would be associated and finance this kind of filth?! Oh yeah FOX. I'm so angry, I think I'm going to complain to FOX News.

I guess what I'm saying is with 'Galactica' and 'Mad Men' over for the season, the U.S. election coverage makes for damn interesting TV for me.

And I haven't seen Larry King this energized since, ever. I mean Larry frikin King! Who is this spectacled suspendered firebrand?!

Hi,

Quote:Not that I see CNN as the real fair and balanced outlet, more like centrist by default at least by TV standards.
CNN is pretty bad, but it's the best of the lot IMHO.

Quote:And I haven't seen Larry King this energized since, ever. I mean Larry frikin King! Who is this spectacled suspendered firebrand?!
Yeah. Somebody put speed in his Geritol. Shame the Mad Cow (Denny Crane) seems to be taking over. Half the time it seems that Larry is clueless both as to what he's asking and what his guests are answering.

Frankly, the best news shows nowadays are The Simpsons and South Park. :lol:

--Pete