October News/Discussion
Oct 7 News

~~~
No punches pulled here. Right off the bat, a hot topic...unless you are wearing Fire Resist gear. Several folks are of the mind that resist-based fights need to go the way of the Dodo. This topic heats up quite a bit, and Ghostcrawler even weighs in on it. It's an argument as old as Molten Core. What IS the point of the "X Resist" fight, anyhow? The Dev's see it as a kind of pacing mechanism and way to change the instance/fights up. Most players see them as a PITA and more lost bank space to whatever "Resist du jour" is on the plate. What do you think?

Lady Sylvanas has FINALLY gotten a unique character model, and it's a real doozy. It's been available for checking out in several formats recently, but she now looks every inch like the Queen of the Forsaken.

I've heard a lot of speculation about what healing will be like in WotLK. What class will be superior, what class will suck. How will no more down ranking effect and change healing? Matt Low writes up a very nice article about his experiences as a priest in the beta. It's a long read, but of particular interest if you are a priest, or play a priest alt a lot.

Kalgan hits the Beta boards, and speaks out on PvP, where it's at, the philosophy behind the current incarnation of it, and where Blizzard sees it going.

Bornakk let's us know that the Raid Mobs of TBC are going to do their part come Patch 3.0.2 and take it a bit easier on the players. Several will stop using their OP abilities, and they all consented to a roughly 30% HP reduction. Quite sporting of them, I say. Though, this is a rather impressive change on Blizzard's part. 3.0.2 will introduce huge changes across the board, and would have a huge effect on raiding in general. It's nice to see them recognize this, and go back to look at tuning things so that you can continue to do them until we are distracted by Northrend, or get the itch to steamroll an instance at 80.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:I've heard a lot of speculation about what healing will be like in WotLK. What class will be superior, what class will suck. How will no more down ranking effect and change healing? Matt Low writes up a very nice article about his experiences as a priest in the beta. It's a long read, but of particular interest if you are a priest, or play a priest alt a lot.

In a shocking turn of events, Blizzard reveals that they do not, in fact, have it out for healers, and that removing (insert favorite mechanic here... downranking, I'm looking at you...) will not force healers to delete their accounts. Skill, adaptation, and new tools will fill in the gaps.

Didn't see that coming, no sir.

-Jester
Oct 9 News

~~~
Yes, you read that right. I did say PvE Arena. Eliah Hecht reports on a really neat suggestion from the forums about a PvE Arena. Basically, you take 4 buddies, queue up, and get dropped into a cage style fight against some random boss from WoW's 'boss'iary. You (and the boss) get ratings depending on wins/losses, and rewards are rewarded. Of course, there are some things to be ironed out. Such as, how often could you do this? Would some bosses be ineligible (5man C'Thun? No, thanks...) due to the sheer inability to beat them unless they were drastically retuned and that sort of thing. But it sure is a really interesting idea.
Quote:Oct 9 News

~~~
Yes, you read that right. I did say PvE Arena. Eliah Hecht reports on a really neat suggestion from the forums about a PvE Arena. Basically, you take 4 buddies, queue up, and get dropped into a cage style fight against some random boss from WoW's 'boss'iary. You (and the boss) get ratings depending on wins/losses, and rewards are rewarded. Of course, there are some things to be ironed out. Such as, how often could you do this? Would some bosses be ineligible (5man C'Thun? No, thanks...) due to the sheer inability to beat them unless they were drastically retuned and that sort of thing. But it sure is a really interesting idea.
The expansion just started looking up for me. THAT is cool...:ph34r:
People are acting as if it's definitely going to be implemented. >_< All Tigole said on the issue was that 'the idea is cool'.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:People are acting as if it's definitely going to be implemented. >_< All Tigole said on the issue was that 'the idea is cool'.

Heh. I didn't say it was going to be implemented. I said it was a suggestion from the forums. I am glad that Tigole thinks it's cool, but I don't think Blizz will do this anytime "soon" (even their infamous 'soon'). I reported this because I felt it was a really neat idea, and figured we could spend some time deciding limiters (How would you retune C'Thun for a 5man arena style fight?) and other aspects of it.
Quote:Heh. I didn't say it was going to be implemented. I said it was a suggestion from the forums. I am glad that Tigole thinks it's cool, but I don't think Blizz will do this anytime "soon" (even their infamous 'soon'). I reported this because I felt it was a really neat idea, and figured we could spend some time deciding limiters (How would you retune C'Thun for a 5man arena style fight?) and other aspects of it.
Anything with that much positive feedback from the community they would be fools to not implement. I'm not expecting it in a month, but I would be surprised if its not eventually put in. Its a great solution to the problem that most instances take at least an hour. If you want some action for only 5 or 10 minutes, what a great idea. It also means you don't have to fight the same boss until you cry because he drops something your character disparately wants. AND it gives you a way to pve outside of your raids when your gear hits a certain level, even get a ranking for it. Some people don't give a rats butt about pvp, but the ranking, rewards, and gear are still very cool. What a great way to implement something similar for the strictly pve players.B)
It's an awesome idea and I love it, but I can see some problems in implementation. As with all boss fights, eventually strategies are readily available after they're figured out, thus taking some of the challenge out of them. If a PvE arena ranking is associated with this, and gear available, it's a pretty easy track to nice loot and I could forsee some whining about that.

Now, if the fights were structured similarly to the 3rd boss in MG:T where you get a semi-random 5-man (or 3-man, or whatever) group, then I can see it working fairly well. Essentially you've just made it Arena with bots. Not that I would mind, that sounds fun.:)
Hi,

Quote:. . . they would be fools to not implement.
We are still talking about Blizzard, aren't we? :whistling:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Heh. I didn't say it was going to be implemented. I said it was a suggestion from the forums. I am glad that Tigole thinks it's cool, but I don't think Blizz will do this anytime "soon" (even their infamous 'soon'). I reported this because I felt it was a really neat idea, and figured we could spend some time deciding limiters (How would you retune C'Thun for a 5man arena style fight?) and other aspects of it.
I wasn't referring to you.:)I didn't mean to imply such.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:...it's a pretty easy track to nice loot and I could forsee some whining about that.

So... it's an arena?
Quote:Hi,
We are still talking about Blizzard, aren't we? :whistling:

--Pete
To be fair Blizzard has been pretty good, although in some cases slow, about implementing things. The initial quality can be brought into question at times, but the fact is here we are still shelling out over a dozen dollars a month for this game. ;)
Hi,

Quote:To be fair Blizzard has been pretty good, although in some cases slow, about implementing things. The initial quality can be brought into question at times, but the fact is here we are still shelling out over a dozen dollars a month for this game. ;)
There's no denying that Buzzard has the best dancing bears, but like all dancing bears, it's not how well they dance, it's that they dance at all that is amazing.

I'm still waiting for the games we dreamed of in the sixties and seventies. Wirth's law applies to games, too.

--Pete

Quote:Hi,
There's no denying that Buzzard has the best dancing bears, but like all dancing bears, it's not how well they dance, it's that they dance at all that is amazing.

I'm still waiting for the games we dreamed of in the sixties and seventies. Wirth's law applies to games, too.

--Pete
Screw games. I want my flying car.:lol:
Quote:Oct 9 News

~~~

Sounds fun, but the problem with PvE is that it's all scripted and based on a limited number of variables. You could probably argue the same for the people in PvP arenas, but there's always a chance that a human player will do something utterly unexpected. Once you figure out how to kill the dragon and the variables it's allowed to use, it becomes static and boring.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Oct 14 News

~~~
There is new Blizzard news on all three game fronts today. Mostly thanks to BlizzCon happening over the weekend.

Diablo III kicks off the announcement of the Wizard class. Looks to be pretty good here.

It was also announced that StarCraft II would be 3 seperate games. There seems to be some confusion over just HOW this will be done, as I've seen articles that state it'll be one game and two expansion packs, and I've seen articles that say it'll three seperate games (with the same multiplayer abilities in all three games).

In WoW news, Patch 3.0.2 has hit today. This is the "pre-WotLK" patch, bringing you pretty much everything that is WotLK that isn't Death Knight related, or Northrend. The linked patch notes look a little old to me, as they are missing a few changes, but they are the notes you'll get when your download finishes.
Oct 11 news.

The WoW pvp panel did a huge QA telling about many exciting new features in WotlK and beyondfor PvP in WoW, like moving pillars, xp through pvp and other fun stuff.

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/10/11/blizz...-wow-pvp-panel/
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
The Frostmourne Oceanic realm alone is up!

The queue is over 8000, and new character creation is locked. Good times!
A plague of exploding high-fives.
Oct 20 News

~~~
In a topic for discussion, the question of whether or not a lvl 70 should be able to create a lvl55 of any class comes up. There are several good sides to this arguement, coming down to Blizzard claiming that part of what makes Death Knights a Hero class is their ability to start at 55. Is there much class learning done at 1-55 anymore? Is someone who's come up from lvl 1 that much of a better player than someone who created their toon at 55? Interesting questions indeed.

Achievements have hit with a massive splash, and it seems like everyone's got a favorite or twelve they are working on. Personally, I have now fully explored the entire world, and feel that I can rest a bit (There was a lot of old world running involved!). I would like to go back and get all the instance/raid achievements for killing the end bosses, as there are only 3 instances (And they are the 3 high end TBC ones) I've not seen the last boss of killed...but you wouldn't know that looking at my Achievements. I kind of especially wish that the Achievement for killing C'Thun was active on my list...but I do have the screeny to prove it. So...what are your favorites to track down and do? Which do you know you've done but for one reason or another they aren't up there?

Now that things for the patch are finally settling down, it's become realized that Raiding sure is easy now. Folks have gotten their UI's back in order, and are now setting about to decimate the TBC bosses as never before. I think that this month of bliss is great, giving folks who were lagging behind for whatever reason a chance to blast ahead, see some content that they wouldn't have otherwise (I'm a huge lore junkie) and get some raiding practice in before things get hard again.
Hi,

Quote:In a topic for discussion, the question of whether or not a lvl 70 should be able to create a lvl55 of any class comes up.
To many, the only purpose of this game is to create a maxed character and play end game content. Buzzard seems to have bought into this concept pretty much completely. Thus, what would make perfect sense is to allow any account to create on any sever any character starting at any level up to 10 (or 5 or even 0) levels below the highest level character of that account.

Don't care for it, myself, but it would at least be consistent. Of course, consistency is not Buzzard's strong suit.

--Pete