Micro$haft's inevitable fall from grace!
(08-28-2013, 12:55 AM)Frag Wrote: As for the actual retraining, from having done so, Win8 isn't that different than Win7 if your staff is trained to use desktop icons or tiles instead of the start menu. If they're not, and this could have just been the spin I admit, people took it as a plus as they didn't have to open a menu since they could launch whatever from the desktop.

I think the key thing here is the 'if your staff is trained to ...'. I was in companies that had people who didn't know how to cut-copy-paste. But that's ok, since they were hired for their sales skill, and not necessarily their comp tech skills.

Though I think we might be looking at the elephant from different angles.
W8 has features that I think, will increasingly be the standard for future hardware. At the time of this writing however, IMO it's the integration and execution that needs serious work, especially on a non-touch desktop.

Short version, I found my own experience with W8 at the time of this writing, to be pretty much the same as this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTYet-qf1jo

And I gave W8 multiple chances. For my own usage and the majority of my workflow however, right now I'm sticking with W7.

Quote:I'm drawing a blank on the waiter reference, because the OS in this case is not in my way, it's barely visible, and it's more than .6ms faster for daily tasks, let alone intensive ones.

It's less a straight up tech issue, than a human \ machine interface design problem for me. The Youtube animated review\critique goes into it when the guy talks about the difference between touch tablets and mouse+KBoard+non touch screen.

The interface and handling of Metro style vs Desktop style is also a bad design IMO.

Add the driver problems with some of the work programs I use, W8 is a non starter for me right now.

Quote:
It's not like Win8 had to be the OS for everyone...

Unfortunately that kind of sober thinking didn't seem to be present during W8 planning. Tongue

Quote: as I used Vista SP2 for years and enjoyed it,

Yeah I'm still running Vista Business 64 on one of my machine. I understood why Vista pre SP2 got a lot of flak, and IMO deservedly so. But SP2 fixed most of it. Which is why I'm still reserving judgement on W8.1. I'm hoping MSoft starts listening to customers vs trying to tell customers what they need.