Dutch artists celebrate George Orwell's birthday...
And they do it by putting party hats on surveillance cameras all over Utrecht. Check out photos here.

I don't usually participate in the political threads here on the Lounge (though I do sometimes read them), but I thought this was worth mentioning in this audience. My lasting impressions of the evils of a surveillance state come from Vernor Vinge rather than Orwell, but I think this is a nice touch.
O crap, i was in utrecht that day and i didn't notice. Nice idea though.
(06-29-2013, 05:58 AM)eppie Wrote: O crap, i was in utrecht that day and i didn't notice. Nice idea though.
I hear that the De Uithof campus has 130% female population... Smile
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Interesting. Although I think the article understates things about reality becoming closer to the society that Orwell described - we are well past that point, and have been for a while now.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
As a major fan of Dystopian novels, I don't see Orwell's 1984 as our reality either now, or in the near future. I see more correlation between Jennifer Government from Maxx Barry, at least in the US. Could it lead to a Orwellian society? Possibly, but I really see it as less overtly controlling than Orwell, and more along the lines of Barry, or if you prefer the classics, some of the sociological points found in Huxley's Brave New World.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(06-29-2013, 06:08 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(06-29-2013, 05:58 AM)eppie Wrote: O crap, i was in utrecht that day and i didn't notice. Nice idea though.
I hear that the De Uithof campus has 130% female population... Smile

What?? Of every 100 people 130 are women??? Smile
Well yeah, I studied there but I was in the Chemistry department.....so the statistics there were slightly different. Smile