Patch 1.0 Preview
Hey all,

Snippets of information for the release version of the game is getting announced. OnRPG.com is the first to report some of the new features:

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editorial/...h-preview/
  • Being release on October 23rd. Available on Steam.
  • New Class, The Scion
  • Final part of Act 3. New Monsters, Boss, tilesets.
  • New Gems
  • New Game features/rebalance of existing.
  • Guilds & Guild Stash
  • More PVP features
  • More Leagues

Will update the post as we find out more.
  • Gamespot Video Interview
  • New Skill Tree Snapshot
  • New Mana Shield passive. When hit, 30% of damage taken is taken from Mana before Life.
  • Spectral Throw is a new ability that applies weapon damage at a distance and is counted as a projectile therefore can be supported with LMP/GMP/faster proj/etc.
  • Trigger gems. Abilities trigger upon a certain action, such as "Cast when damage taken".
  • New leagues. Domination (SC) and Nemesis (HC). There are 8 new challenges. Domination has shrines that spawns monsters around it with a dangerous effect, you can run into the fray and get the shrine effect for yourself or pick off the monsters around it before. Nemesis has special boss mods that cause wacky effects on rare monsters.
  • Public stash tabs. Trade functionality that utilizes these public stash tabs to offer/seek items.
  • Skill gem pics: Cast When Damage Taken, Cast When Stunned, Animate Guardian, Spectral Throw, Cast on Melee Kill, Reduced Duration.

Latest Updates:

The Scion seems interesting. The new class is reported to be playable once you beat Normal Act 3. Its home will be in the center of the skill tree, allowing you to potentially reach opposite skill nodes faster. The Scion also has a neat skill that allows you to throw a copy of her weapon at range, meaning you can use your melee weapon to damage enemies from afar.

Glad to hear about Guild Systems. We could possibly get a Lurker Lounge shared stash going :)

Can't wait to find out more. Seems they've packed a lot into this patch.
I'm pretty interested in the guild system. Would be VERY Cool to have a Lurkers Guild in game. Especially with shared stash!

That gives us the ability to toss stuff to each other that we don't want / need, and honestly, if the game is going live with "trading" as is, I'm just not going to be trading. I have gear sitting in my stash, that I couldn't even sell for an alch the way that the current trading is going, let alone the Chaos / GCP that they "should" be worth.

I'm curious about a Scion. I'm not quite sure what they mean "Middle of the Tree" I sort of thought that the Witch was the "middle" of the tree...

Dominus is sounding like a crazy hard fight...
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:I'm curious about a Scion. I'm not quite sure what they mean "Middle of the Tree" I sort of thought that the Witch was the "middle" of the tree...

The Witch is above the middle. I've made a diagram to illustrate where the Scion will be in relation to the other classes:

[Image: ulzf.png]
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
ew... I'm just mapping a char in that area for the first time
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
The passive tree will be different on release from what it is now.

-W.C. Fields
Wait... does that mean another free passive reset to those affected?
It has not been officially confirmed or denied, but some of the GGG staff have said a full passive reset is likely.

-W.C. Fields
Ugh.... on one hand, that pleases me greatly, on the other hand... That means I'm going to have 3+ 90 point trees to map, and get ready. Though... It does mean I could turn my summoner into something else, since I've grown bored of the summoner. I tried to play it the other day, and it was just... Not enjoyable. They haven't improved the Ai of the zombies, which can make it problematic when trying to run some of the maps I'd like to try and run, and my zombies just stand there, attacking the wrong target, even though I'm trying to Arc the crap out of what's beating on me to direct their attention towards it.

And maybe, I can find a way to make my Ranger have more DPS. Right now, it feels rather anemic on DPS when compared to my Marauder. though 5k Vs 2k probably has a lot to do with that.
If there is a Passive Reset, What do people think of this for a Fireballer? I've never done a straight "caster" before, but this sort of takes my CI / ES base (that my gear is set up for) and takes it from Summoner to Fire Slinger. I've already got a pretty slick Dagger in the Bank that would work great for the build

I should then be able to run Vitality, and Life Leech, to keep my ES up, and hopefully pull my best impersonation of Trogdor.

EDIT LOG:
1.) Edited Passive Tree. Woohoo for BItly.
(10-07-2013, 02:22 PM)shoju Wrote: If there is a Passive Reset, What do people think of this for a Fireballer?

I would count on there being a full respec with 1.0. The passive tree is too affected to not issue one. I'd bet a lot on it :P

But as for your skill tree, I think it's pretty good.. but Fireball is an AOE skill, and you're close to two amazing talents that boost damage and range. You may be thinking "yea, but the AoE is not very large".. which is true, but when you combine the damage boost with the slight AoE boost, it's nice having your fireballs do a bit of splash damage.

Since you're going Zealoth's Oath for ES regen, I would recommend grabbing the rest of the Mind and Matter wheel and the 1% life regen in the templar area, this will greatly boost your ES regen. I know the 8% health is wasted, but I think it's worth it having played ES characters recently.

I would play as a Templar for a Fireball build. But it's not a big deal if you'd rather play a Witch.

http://goo.gl/vlAzgj is the build I would recommend. If you go with a 5L Searing Touch you'll fly through the first 50 levels.
Yeah, I've noticed most fire builds use it, which makes me think that I should do something else, besides using my super awesome +2 fire caster dagger.

I just know I don't want to do a summoner with the witch anymore. My gear is pretty meh if I don't use the fire dagger as far as DPS goes.

I could start working on a power siphon build and start looking for a good wand. I have all the gems to do that...

EDIT:
Shows how much I know... I didn't even realize that Fireball was an AOE Skill Sad
Well, I started going through my stashes, to see what I'll have to frankenstein this chick together with....

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-th.../#p1114180

(Post #2)
I'm not sure if I'm excited or not.
Yay for free time!

I'm looking at my other options, and I have the remnants (gems) of my CI Freeze Pulse Templar that I hated. I'm thinking I might give that a whirl on a char that has more gear at the ready.

SO..... With that in mind, I came up with the above build. It's... A work in progress so to speak. But I have 92 points on the witch, and I'm looking to get the "base" build fleshed out with 92 points, and cover all my bases.

This should give me plenty of crit. Maybe a little light on spell damage, but I'm not sure. I've not made a Crit Witch. But, it should cover my ES needs as well. The last 4 points that I would allocate in this build would be the shield cluster for the resists while holding a shield. I'd probably check to see where I'm at resist wise before I invest in those, that way, if I have enough Resist, I may invest those in more ES, or Damage as I see what I need.

For skills, I'm planning

Freeze Pulse - PC on Crit, Life Leech, LMP
Or maybe Faster Casting in there? Not sure. With the crit chance that Cold Damage would need, and PC's being easily obtainable in the build (and making paths easier) it seems like a good fit. I would use this as my "cruising through zones"

Ice Spear - PC on Crit, Life Leech, Faster Casting
I like this setup I think. This would probably be my single target nuke, if I can stay at range.

Ice Nova - I've always loved the idea of the spell. Not sure what I'll link to it, but Probably Leech, Faster Casting, and PC on Crit... Beginning to sound like a broken record.

Frost Bite
Temporal Chains
Could one of you "vets" post a sample DW cleave build? I've been looking at making one, but not sure what class, I was thinking Templar, but wasn't sure if that's a good choice
(10-11-2013, 03:11 AM)shoju Wrote: Could one of you "vets" post a sample DW cleave build? I've been looking at making one, but not sure what class, I was thinking Templar, but wasn't sure if that's a good choice

Templar is amazing for Dual-Wield Cleave, great at Ele cleave and average for Physical cleave. Marauder is neutral, but a very solid choice if you're not sure to go ele or phy cleave. Duelist is more focused for Physical Cleave builds.

I ended up sticking with my Marauder and this is the build I'm using with my lvl 90 cleaver. His stats are pretty amazing: 40k dps, 5k life, 50% block, 13k armor. I doubt I'll ever make a stronger character, he can zip through any map.

Ele cleave is probably easier to start with, since you can greatly buff damage from Wrath, Anger, and Weapon Elemental Damage. The whole point of ele cleave is that cleave reduces physical damage while dual-wielding, but not elemental. You'll need good physical 1H'ers to make physical cleave work, but you'll just need gems and mediocre ele weapons to make ele Cleave work.

Here's a decent templar ele cleave build: http://goo.gl/DGtaqc
Here's a duelist physical cleave build: http://goo.gl/u7tsCS

Those are some quick tips. I can detail more another day if you have more questions.
I had been thinking for an Ele Cleave Build for a templar. Mine was veering towards the witch area instead of duelist, but I can see that at least I was "sort of" on the right track. Your build also addresses the dex issues that I was going to need to handle with jewelry.

I'm actually a little surprised by a few things.

1.) Blood Magic Keystone
It just... scares me, after the first time I tried to use it. I felt very underwhelmed by it, after using Auras on other chars.

2.) The lack of Armor Nodes.
Do you just run mostly Eva / Armor or straight Eva Pieces to balance out the survivability?

Is it true, that once you get rolling, you are just using a level 1 cleave gem?
1.0 Balance thread posted today, by the Devs. Love the buff to 4/5links, I think they're spot on where a lot of characters could get "stuck" around the 40/50s by not getting their links.
Love the buffs to links
Love the buffs to 2h'ers
Love the butchering to Item Quantity
I guess the change to bosses is cool.

It's steps in the right area, but it feels like they are pleased with the currency sink in maps (and by extension in gear) that exists in the later stages of the game. I'm just not sure I'm as excited knowing that they intend it to be this hard.
I've Finalized my changes for my witch come 1.0

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/113210

It's in the first post. That's also the current gear that I have set aside for the char, and a list of some of the gems (not all the ones I listed will be used, not sure if that's all the gems I will use either)

Obviously, the build is dependent on the changes, but as the tree sits currently, that's where I'm headed. I figure once I get in, and get the build set, I guess I will need to do some farming to level up the gems.

Will I need to drop low to get some levels on the gems? Or will I be able to go to someplace like.... Merc. Ledge and go to town?

EDIT:
Someone talk me out of this build. Please. Give me reasons, why the following build is bad.

Elemental Hit, Elemental Equilibrium, Quill Rain

Because right now, I'm sitting here, laughing maniaclly at the idea of an Ele Hit Machine Gun mowing things down in 3 flavors of crazy elemental damage.
Leaked Skill Tree & Notable new Passives. Subject to change by release, of course. Scion seems really powerful with access to many decent new passives and being able to reach opposite ends of the tree.

Also Shoju, I would go Crit Ele Prolif, if you go Resolute Technique your crits won't actually cause elemental effects. But you can still cause shock from Static Blows Keystone or Added Lightning Damage Support, since those do not trigger on crit. Ranged Totem + Ele Hit + Ele Prolif is gaining popularity.