Gravity, t3h movie! Imax 3d.
(11-08-2013, 02:27 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Then art criticism can be replaced by box office gross? It sounds like you are saying that quality, and artistry is irrelevant to popularity, and profits.

It sounds like you can't or won't into reading comprehension.

I'll say it bluntly and simpler for you.

Quality is almost always balanced by the return of investment, because this is still show -business-. Read that again please, biz...nisce.

There are projects that yes, damn the returns and the torpedoes, because the people paying the investments know they might not get a monetary return, and they're fine with that. It's rare, but not impossible. Sometimes it's just a demo\experiment, or letting some steam off just for the fun of it, or a skunkwork project for the creatives.

That doesn't mean that a commercial film can not have beautiful, artistic merit, or quality subjectively or objectively speaking. All of that is still balanced by mundane, practical, and necessary things like are we at least breaking even with this, are we seeing any profit, monetary or otherwise like reputation\cred.

Quote:
And... I'm not saying that Gravity lacks artistry. Just that I separate popularity from quality.

But you basically...just did. And that's your problem by the way, not mine. I have no qualms with acknowledging quality in a popular work.

A work that is popular doesn't diminish it's quality in my eyes. Otherwise, I'd throw out my boxed set of Louis Armstrong Jazz collection, because oh noes, he's popular! -True- Jazz lovers would disapprove! (Armstrong? Noob stuff everyone has heard of...I only listen to super obscure stuff therefore quality...hipsterism intensifies) Oh what am I going to do?!

Oh yeah, not give a flying house of....dagger, and keep listening and enjoying my Louis Armstrong.

Quote:Hollywood would have us paint more...

Hollywood doesn't have that much power. If you think it does, then that might be your problem, not mine.

If you want to talk about critiquing paintings, or go off in yet another tangent that doesn't actually have anything to do with the topic, feel free to do so in another thread. In a movie discussion review, I'll say this again.

It would be really helpful to see the movie in question. Benefit being the viewer\ discussion participant then may or may not have an informed opinion, instead of just an opinion that they simply must express.

Allrighty? If there's anything else on topic I don't mind discussing them here. Otherwise, really, I suggest trying out that 'New Topic' button whenever you have the urge to diverge. There's meandering, then there's attempted derailment. I think we've had far too much of the latter lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZlNNSjsELs
(11-08-2013, 03:20 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote:
Quote:And... I'm not saying that Gravity lacks artistry. Just that I separate popularity from quality.
But you basically...just did. And that's your problem by the way, not mine. I have no qualms with acknowledging quality in a popular work.
No, really, it's a quality film. I'm still hoping to get a chance to see it in the theater. But, if not, then I'll certainly attempt to see it on the small screen.

I moved the rest of my reply to a new thread.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(11-08-2013, 12:54 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 11:39 PM)Lissa Wrote: Sort of a necro since this has been out for a while. Saw it today,

Considering you saw the movie, and have an informed opinion that's on topic. It's a worthwhile post IMO, necroposting or not.

Quote: it's a good movie, but my background in nuclear engineering caused me to find a number of things with the physics that broke levels of realism (for someone not heavily vested in physics it probably wouldn't be an issue).

Fair enough. Though this is still first and foremost, a hollywood film. In case anyone is under the bizarre and frankly, wrong impression that this is somehow a Nat-Geo doc in space. (Not you, just saying some people might need that reminder.)

As much as I also like to see a good, 'hard sci-fi' movie because there simply isn't a lot of them around. Monies, and return on investment on these things are probably a bigger factor then getting every tech details right. Show-biz is still business.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-4739-scott-pilgrim/

^
|
|

Above link is about the Scott Pilgrim movie, but the observation IMO still holds for something like this as well.

Basically I'm not going to count it as a negative that Cuaron decided to make a good movie that's also a popcorn fare, especially when he never set out to film a 100% realistic space documentary.

Putting monies on a movie that will 100% satisfy a few scientists and actual astronauts, vs satisfying a whole lot more people who aren't but are still paying for tickets? Unless those scientists buy multiple tickets for the entire run, buy multiple DVD copies, gets their families and friends to do the same. You know where I'm going with this right? Tongue

Now that I think back, another thing that got me, the flash frozen corpses of the shuttle crew. While space is very cold, something wouldn't instantly cool off to freezing as radiative heat transfer is the worst form of heat transfer and would take quite a while before the corpses would freeze.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(11-09-2013, 04:52 AM)Lissa Wrote: Now that I think back, another thing that got me, the flash frozen corpses of the shuttle crew. While space is very cold, something wouldn't instantly cool off to freezing as radiative heat transfer is the worst form of heat transfer and would take quite a while before the corpses would freeze.

That's a good catch real physics wise, and it did prompt me to google just would actually happen if we're talking real life scenario.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_as...70603.html

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read...ou-explode

Now my own take on it is, it was probably done for drama\story sake, and I'm personally ok with that. Another possibility is, it was a quicker, merciful movie death.

Reading those links, I think if it was done closer to actual real life physics, would've been really too painful\sickening to watch and sit through.
Just watched Gravity. I honestly expected more from it, considering the hype. I wouldn't call it a terrible film, but it's not something I would watch again. Alfonso Cuarón disappoints me for the first time. George Clooney's character was the highlight of this film. Sandra Bullock's performance was good, but her character was shallow. The Chinese dog barking on the radio was one of the more interesting parts, which says a whole lot.
(11-09-2013, 09:51 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read...ou-explode

Now my own take on it is, it was probably done for drama\story sake, and I'm personally ok with that. Another possibility is, it was a quicker, merciful movie death.

Reading those links, I think if it was done closer to actual real life physics, would've been really too painful\sickening to watch and sit through.

After reading this, I have to exclaim "EVENT HORIZON WAS RIGHT!" in a weird, sort of, almost way. There is a scene where someone ends up in the air lock, headed for space, no suit, just scrubs for clothes, and Mr. Fishbourne gives him the following commands:

Quote:IT'S STARTING. MY EYES.

DON'T THINK ABOUT THEM. SHUT THEM.

[Justin screaming]
JUST SHUT THEM AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN.

5 SECONDS.

TUCK YOURSELF INTO A CROUCH POSITION.

MAKE YOURSELF INTO A BALL NOW.

(Justin) I CAN'T BREATHE. OH, GOD.

OH, GOD, IT HURTS.

I WANT YOU TO HUFF AND PUFF AND BLOW ALL THE AIR OUT OF YOUR LUNGS.

DO YOU HEAR ME? ALL THE AIR OUT OF YOUR LUNGS, JUSTIN.

Score one for the bad sci fi movie that everyone hates but me!
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-17-2013, 08:22 PM)shoju Wrote: Score one for the bad sci fi movie that everyone hates but me!

Event Horizon was not a bad sci fi movie. It was a brilliant horror movie that happened to be set in space.
(12-17-2013, 08:32 PM)DeeBye Wrote:
(12-17-2013, 08:22 PM)shoju Wrote: Score one for the bad sci fi movie that everyone hates but me!

Event Horizon was not a bad sci fi movie. It was a brilliant horror movie that happened to be set in space.

I am huge Horror AND Sci Fi junkie, so this movie was "the perfect mind melding experience" for me. I can't seem to find anyone (but you) who doesn't immediately pan it. I love it so much I went to the great lengths of finding an international special edition that had an extended cut.

Turns out, that was a disturbing choice. In the extended cut, The recorded scenes of what happened to the former crew are longer. much longer. and much more creepy.

But, now that I have a new Blu Ray Player, I can't mess with the region setting like I could on my old DvD player that died, to watch it Sad
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-17-2013, 08:22 PM)shoju Wrote: sci fi movie that everyone hates but me!

Gotta throw my hat in the ring as another enjoyer. Not to the extent that I would by the disc, but such a purchase is a rare thing anyway. I would certainly DVR it if found in a listing.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Event Horizon was my favorite sci-fi horror movie. After seeing it more than a handful of times, it's charm has been lost upon me, but still, I agree its a work of art in the horror genre.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I have never seen Event Horizon.

Alien. Alien is the best one I have ever seen.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(12-18-2013, 03:12 AM)Alram Wrote: I have never seen Event Horizon.
You need to re-evaluate some of your life choices.

(12-18-2013, 03:12 AM)Alram Wrote: Alien. Alien is the best one I have ever seen.
I cannot disagree. The original 1979 Alien was a masterpiece, and still holds up incredibly well today.
(12-18-2013, 03:12 AM)Alram Wrote: Alien. Alien is the best one I have ever seen.

Heart I was just looking through the listing and saw Alien was on. It had already been on for a bit and I still thought of watching the rest. My actual thought was, "Ooh! But I've missed some. Oh! It should be past the chest popper!" Even after the dozens of times I've watched it, I can't watch that scene. Even worse than the visual is when the baby alien looks around at them and gives them that screech. <shiver>
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(12-18-2013, 04:51 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Oh! It should be past the chest popper!" Even after the dozens of times I've watched it, I can't watch that scene. Even worse than the visual is when the baby alien looks around at them and gives them that screech. <shiver>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc
(12-17-2013, 08:22 PM)shoju Wrote: After reading this, I have to exclaim "EVENT HORIZON WAS RIGHT!" in a weird, sort of, almost way. There is a scene where someone ends up in the air lock, headed for space, no suit, just scrubs for clothes, and Mr. Fishbourne gives him the following commands:

Score one for the bad sci fi movie that everyone hates but me!

I did see that movie a long while back. However since it was background noise\movie during one of those all nighter, due the next morning so let's get some fellow night owls for a cram\crunch\crash session on campus. I can't say the movie had my full attention. Tongue

All I remembered was the gory parts.

I'll certainly defend DeeBye's differing informed opinion on Gravity. Though I don't quite share the disappointment in Cuaron . I did went in with very little hype before hand however.

I will say though if anyone is expecting 'Children of Men' ending, where it can be argued that it ended on a very bleak note. Or a happy one, since it was done fairly ambiguous way.

Gravity IMO is a pretty positive, almost upbeat movie. I'd say it was almost like a 'Humanity, F*&% YEEAAH!' at parts.
(12-18-2013, 05:27 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(12-18-2013, 04:51 AM)LochnarITB Wrote: Oh! It should be past the chest popper!" Even after the dozens of times I've watched it, I can't watch that scene. Even worse than the visual is when the baby alien looks around at them and gives them that screech. <shiver>

I knew you don't have a mean bone, DeeBye, so I was a big brave boy and clicked the link. "not again" Big Grin
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."

I'll call you, and raise you one horror scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxUKAHDIWOQ
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Lenny.

My volume was entirely too high when that clip started.
(12-17-2013, 08:22 PM)shoju Wrote: After reading this, I have to exclaim "EVENT HORIZON WAS RIGHT!" in a weird, sort of, almost way.
Sort of the same kinds of things happen in SCUBA diving. Descending (increasing pressure) is usually not an issue except for attempting to equalize eardrums, clogged sinuses, etc. Ascending rapidly causes air embolisms, and you die of pulmonary stroke. "The Bends" is the often heard about issue, which is a non-issue if you pay attention to your accumulated time/depth resulting in absorption of nitrogen. It was an eye opener to me just how slim the atmospheric conditions are in which we can survive.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(12-18-2013, 02:02 PM)LennyLen Wrote:

I'll call you, and raise you one horror scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxUKAHDIWOQ

YouTube needs a loop button. It's going to be stuck in my head all day again anyway, might as well be listening to the actual thing. Angry Tongue
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."