US Spying on Europe
(01-30-2014, 10:47 PM)Mavfin Wrote: At least edit the links out.

Done.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(01-31-2014, 06:21 AM)Bolty Wrote:
(01-30-2014, 10:47 PM)Mavfin Wrote: At least edit the links out.

Done.
And... Alram and Lissa's replies, which quoted his link.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

eppie, have you ever played Starcraft? Do you understand what a "backstab" is in that game?

In in real life, you collect on your so called "allies" to avoid getting surprised by a backstab. Due diligence, eppie. Get with the real world.

There was a popular board game in the 70's 80's called diplomacy. To win, you had to backstab at least once.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:A top secret document retrieved by U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden and obtained by CBC News shows that Canada's electronic spy agency used information from the free internet service at a major Canadian airport to track the wireless devices of thousands of ordinary airline passengers for days after they left the terminal.

After reviewing the document, one of Canada's foremost authorities on cyber-security says the clandestine operation by the Communications Security Establishment Canada (CSEC) was almost certainly illegal.

Ronald Deibert told CBC News: "I can't see any circumstance in which this would not be unlawful, under current Canadian law, under our Charter, under CSEC's mandates."

Quote:Experts say that probably included many Canadians whose smartphone and laptop signals were intercepted without their knowledge as they passed through the terminal.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/csec-use...-1.2517881
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
It will be interesting to hear what is said today at the Senate committee on national security and defence.

There are other aspects in this international snooping that trouble me. Such as, when the US lawfully does the spying on allied citizens, then sells/trades/gives it quid pro quo to that ally who is proscribed from doing it. It seems akin to buying alcohol and cigarettes for minors.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Alram, is there a theme in "what they were looking for" in the Canada's electronic spy agency article by the CBC?

Or, does it appear to be "cast a large net, let's see what we find" sort of deal? It was unclear to me from the article. It appeared to be proof of concept, but I don't have access to the original Snowden leak.

Quote: It seems akin to buying alcohol and cigarettes for minors.
Not a bad analogy, if the Five Eyes alliance were children. Which they are not.
In Memory of Pete
this should answer your question.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(02-04-2014, 03:38 AM)Alram Wrote: this should answer your question.
Thanks. It did indeed answer my question.
In Memory of Pete
(02-04-2014, 03:14 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote:
Quote: It seems akin to buying alcohol and cigarettes for minors.
Not a bad analogy, if the Five Eyes alliance were children. Which they are not.
Although, in terms of SIGINT, compared to the US they are.