My kid brother
Hello all,

My little brother just graduated from boot camp at NTC Great Lakes and I was trying to think of "must do" things that a new sailor really should see or do. I know we have a bunch of former armed service members on here and was looking for some advice or a helping hand.

2 things sprung to mind rather quickly; attend an Army-Navy game down in Philly and visit the USS Constitution in Boston(?) after that I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon
Quote:Hello all,

My little brother just graduated from boot camp at NTC Great Lakes and I was trying to think of "must do" things that a new sailor really should see or do. I know we have a bunch of former armed service members on here and was looking for some advice or a helping hand.

2 things sprung to mind rather quickly; attend an Army-Navy game down in Philly and visit the USS Constitution in Boston(?) after that I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As I was just left that lovely base, I'll tell you the #1 thing to do after leaving is to have a smoke,:P and the second is to eat some real food! (Because heaven knows he won't find it on a ship:D).

Now, after those is taken care of, spending some time with friends' and family, while not necessarily the most exciting thing to do, is probably the most prudent. After any A & C schooling he has, it's going to be a fair bit of time before he sees them again if he is deployed, which is likely. Having to miss deaths & funerals, birthday and anniversary events and so forth are one of the sacrifices that being in active service requires.

Regards,
~Frag
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Frag I meant as stuff to do in the next few years, lol, not the next few days. He graduated Friday and got to hang with friends and family after the ceremony and then again on Sat. and Sun. All he said he wanted to do last weekend was relax and chill and hang out, so that's exactly what we did. I know he will be home for a week for Thanksgiving and again for Christmas so those would be the soonest that we could do anything I put down.
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon
Quote: 2 things sprung to mind rather quickly; attend an Army-Navy game down in Philly and visit the USS Constitution in Boston(?) after that I'm fresh out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You mean Annapolis or Baltimore being Navy. The Goats play normally in Annapolis and occasionally at Ravens Stadium in Baltimore for big games.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:You mean Annapolis or Baltimore being Navy. The Goats play normally in Annapolis and occasionally at Ravens Stadium in Baltimore for big games.

Right, but the Army-Navy game, the game that Army plays against Navy every year, is in Philadelphia in 2008 and 2009 (on Dec 6th and 5th respectively)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army-Navy_Game
Quote:Right, but the Army-Navy game, the game that Army plays against Navy every year, is in Philadelphia in 2008 and 2009 (on Dec 6th and 5th respectively)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army-Navy_Game

Yes, but would you want to watch it on enemy territory?
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.