Recommend me a new mouse!
(05-25-2014, 10:31 PM)LavCat Wrote: After a lot of reading I am leaning towards the M570. I just wish they made a PS/2 version. If I get an M570 it means I have to have two trackballs on my desk, whereas now I use a KVM.

Lissa (or anyone), how does one configure the extra buttons for WoW?

The driver for the M570 lets you configure it. Also, a lot of games just recognizing the extra buttons and let you assign them. WoW may be too old at this point, dunno as I haven't touched WoW since just before Firelands.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(05-26-2014, 12:26 AM)Lissa Wrote: The driver for the M570 lets you configure it. Also, a lot of games just recognizing the extra buttons and let you assign them. WoW may be too old at this point, dunno as I haven't touched WoW since just before Firelands.

Thanks! I think I'll order an M570 and find out how it works for me.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
The Logitech M570 came today. It is quite a bit smaller and slightly higher than my old Trackman Marble. So far I am pleased. I can zip the cursor around the screen without wearing out my thumb. Sometimes with the Trackman Marble I can spin the ball and nothing much happens. Even when it's on its best behavior it takes a good while of rolling the ball to get the cursor from one side of the screen to the other.

The M570 is heavier and more stable than the Marble, and is not as apt to slide across the desk...which is why I stuck the Marble down with museum putty. The pinky rest feature of the M570 does not work for my hand, though that is no big deal.

The software for the M570 is a mixed bag (this is under Windows 7). The Logitech Unifying Software can't pair with the device yet shows the device is paired.

The Logitech Mouse and Keyboard software works better but I have not figured out what settings are best, and I have not tried configuring the buttons for WoW.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
(05-31-2014, 12:12 AM)LavCat Wrote: The software for the M570 is a mixed bag (this is under Windows 7). The Logitech Unifying Software can't pair with the device yet shows the device is paired.

The Logitech Mouse and Keyboard software works better but I have not figured out what settings are best, and I have not tried configuring the buttons for WoW.

Logitech stuff is so great. In addition to the mice and keyboards, I still love the X530 5.1 speaker system I bought about 10 years ago. It still sounds great and I have no urge to try anything else.

The software has been hit or miss over the years for me.
Having played around a bit in WoW, the M570 is a big improvement. However it still slides around too much on the desk and I will have to glue it down. Also the switch surfaces are too slippery and I will have to stick on some moleskin for better traction.

I tried binding target enemy player to a button. WoW recognized the extra buttons just fine. The problem in testing is that WoW will not target an enemy player unless they are red or yellow. I think we have been through this a few times before.

More seriously my wrist seems to be bothering me. I think because the trackball will not stay in one spot.
I never updated this to report I've been using Sanwa MA-TB39 trackballs for a couple years. Sanwa work much better for me than the M570.
(07-04-2017, 05:55 PM)LavCat Wrote: I never updated this to report I've been using Sanwa MA-TB39 trackballs for a couple years. Sanwa work much better for me than the M570.

I'm still using the same G400 as when the thread was started.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(07-05-2017, 06:22 PM)LennyLen Wrote:
(07-04-2017, 05:55 PM)LavCat Wrote: I never updated this to report I've been using Sanwa MA-TB39 trackballs for a couple years. Sanwa work much better for me than the M570.

I'm still using the same G400 as when the thread was started.

I cracked about two years ago and bought the Logitech Wireless M510. I didn't like any of the wired options that were appearing on the market and this one kept closest to the form factor of the G400. I was a bit wary as I can't count the amount of times I've been playing games with friends only to hear "Crap! My mouse is dead!", but after two years using this mouse I haven't had to replace the batteries once. (They advertise a 2-year battery life, and I can verify that this holds up under pretty heavy use.)

This is definitely my new standard for usable mice.
(07-05-2017, 06:22 PM)LennyLen Wrote: I'm still using the same G400 as when the thread was started.

I've upgraded to a G502 Proteus Core. It's well-sized for my hands and I like the button placements. Plus, it kinda looks like a Decepticon.
(07-07-2017, 12:51 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 06:22 PM)LennyLen Wrote: I'm still using the same G400 as when the thread was started.

I've upgraded to a G502 Proteus Core. It's well-sized for my hands and I like the button placements. Plus, it kinda looks like a Decepticon.

Thread necro.

I just received my new Logitech G903 as well as the Powerplay Charging Pad.

This is pure bliss.
Ever since California forced cell phone companies to apply warnings for the cancer they cause, I decided to read up on Bluetooth. I was dismayed to discover the rf frequency was microwaves and indeed causes tissue cellular damage, especially at the "safe" standards the US advocates. In the cellular studies California did, they proved cellular damage at the supposed "safe" levels. So what's my point? I had been using a Bluetooth mouse for over a year, and wondered why my palm was burning after using it for long periods when I never experienced that phenomen before, which lead me to do some research. So I decided to get rid of my Bluetooth mouse, and wouldn't you know it, my palm stopped hurting. I went to an $8 generic wired mouse with a big grip and am happy. Take care.

PS if anyone is interested, I can provide links, but I'm not at my computer atm.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(03-29-2018, 12:27 AM)Taem Wrote: Ever since California forced cell phone companies to apply warnings for the cancer they cause, I decided to read up on Bluetooth. I was dismayed to discover the rf frequency was microwaves and indeed causes tissue cellular damage, especially at the "safe" standards the US advocates. In the cellular studies California did, they proved cellular damage at the supposed "safe" levels. So what's my point? I had been using a Bluetooth mouse for over a year, and wondered why my palm was burning after using it for long periods when I never experienced that phenomen before, which lead me to do some research. So I decided to get rid of my Bluetooth mouse, and wouldn't you know it, my palm stopped hurting. I went to an $8 generic wired mouse with a big grip and am happy. Take care.

PS if anyone is interested, I can provide links, but I'm not at my computer atm.

Yeah I'd like to see those links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Health_concerns

Quote:Bluetooth uses the microwave radio frequency spectrum in the 2.402 GHz to 2.480 GHz range, which is non-ionizing radiation, of similar bandwidth to the one used by wireless and mobile phones. No specific demonstration of harm has been demonstrated up to date, even if wireless transmission has been included by IARC in the possible carcinogen list. Maximum power output from a Bluetooth radio is 100 mW for class 1, 2.5 mW for class 2, and 1 mW for class 3 devices. Even the maximum power output of class 1 is a lower level than the lowest-powered mobile phones.

Aloe vera is also on the IARC list of "possible carcinogens".
(04-01-2018, 02:56 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Aloe vera is also on the IARC list of "possible carcinogens".

Coffee is a carcinogen in California.
Not worried. I'm wearing my tinfoil hat. Keywords "non-ionizing radiation" 100,000 times weaker than solar UV ... Zero BED.

[Image: JJB-Tinfoil-Cowboy-Hat-Cover.jpg]

http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/facts/fs304/en/

http://scienceblogs.com/builtonfacts/200...radiation/

Not that I don't believe Taem, but 1 experiment is insufficient. Could be a) coincidence, b) ergonomic difference, c) many others...

P.S. I'm well past my expiration date, but you might consider adding a tinfoil jockstrap if you are interested in sperm motility and you keep your cell phone in a nearby pants pocket. But, considering that the radiating effect of 2.4Ghz is heat (known to kill sperm), it might be better to forgo the jockstrap, put your phone in a shirt pocket, and go commando.
https://rbej.biomedcentral.com/articles/...7827-7-114
https://journals.lww.com/health-physics/...tro.6.aspx
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4503846/
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Deebye Wrote:Yeah I'd like to see those links.
Here is a neutral article (not biased to sell something) I found, although it uses logical derivatives to reach it's conclusions instead of scientific studies, however does point out clearly how the cell phone industry, as any industry I'd argue who makes money off their product, has mislead with oft conflicting studies (tobacco anyone?):

https://www.electricsense.com/1791/bluet...e-dangers/

Here is a biased article trying to sell ear dongles, however the article is sound and can readily be fact checked:

https://www.rfsafe.com/bluetooth-radiati...radiation/

Here is an article from the American Cancer Society:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-cau...hones.html

Quote:Some scientists have reported that the RF waves from cell phones produce effects in human cells (in lab dishes) that might possibly help tumors grow.

Read the entire article; its actually inconclusive at best, or opposite from my POV depending on how you interpret the evidence, however this does not discount my sensitivity to EMF's, and the defining factor to my decision to ditch Bluetooth (sorry I did not mention that before).

kandrathe Wrote:Keywords "non-ionizing radiation" 100,000 times weaker than solar UV

I found out recently that I'm very sensitive to EM fields. I moved into a smaller bedroom back in October of 2017 and downsized my king bed to a queen I found on Craigslist which had a wroght iron metal frame. I found I COULD NOT SLEEP on that goddamn bed, pure insomnia. The room I'm in has the house breaker, so I thought it might be leaking EM field from a faulty wire or something, so I bought a Gauss meter to detect the EM fields in my room. I could not find any substantial difference from my laptop, monitors, lamps, or the breaker... all had sufficient insulation. I thought I was going fucking insane because I simply could not sleep. I got a prescription for Ambien just to sleep and was a walking zombie for a couple months, but during this time, I kept researching EM fields because I just felt something was off! Every time I was in my room, I felt this electric charge on my skin, like right before a lightening storm. I finally read on a website dedicated to people with EM sensitivity that metal beds act as a conduit by attracting/concentration all the EM fields in a room, so I took that Gauss meter I bought off Amazon and pointed it at my bed. The fucking needle went off the chart, between 2.5 to 5.0 Gauss. Supposedly, up to 2.5 Gauss is a safe level for humans, but for people sensitive to EM fields, its much lower:

Here are the standard guidelines for safe EMF's;

https://www.safespaceprotection.com/emf-...-the-home/

And here is some information on EMF sensitivity;

https://emfcenter.com/are-you-sensitive-to-emfs/

I sold that frame and purchased a wooden one and got rid of my box spring and after measuring my entire room ceiling to floor with a Gauss meter, I never saw more than 0.5 in the area I was sleeping and wouldn't you know it that a few days later, I got quite possibly some of the best quality sleep I've had in my life. Take it as anecdotal from me if you wish, but these fields have an affect on us rather we realize it or not.

As corroboratory evidence, there is something in our bodies capable of detecting magnetic fields, called Magnetoreception.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/m...nse-humans

It should be without doubt that people sensitive to EMF's should avoid devices that emit levels high enough to have a negative effect on them.

EDIT: I did a quick search on Google for most of this stuff just now because it's information I've already know for quite some time and never saved the original links after doing exhaustive studies myself, however having said that, I encourage any of you reading this to do additional research for yourself if you think you might be sensitive to EMF's; you'll be glad that you did!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(04-02-2018, 08:58 PM)Taem Wrote: I found out recently that I'm very sensitive to EM fields. I moved into a smaller bedroom back in October of 2017 and downsized my king bed to a queen I found on Craigslist which had a wroght iron metal frame. I found I COULD NOT SLEEP on that goddamn bed, pure insomnia. The room I'm in has the house breaker, so I thought it might be leaking EM field from a faulty wire or something, so I bought a Gauss meter to detect the EM fields in my room. I could not find any substantial difference from my laptop, monitors, lamps, or the breaker... all had sufficient insulation. I thought I was going fucking insane because I simply could not sleep. I got a prescription for Ambien just to sleep and was a walking zombie for a couple months, but during this time, I kept researching EM fields because I just felt something was off! Every time I was in my room, I felt this electric charge on my skin, like right before a lightening storm. I finally read on a website dedicated to people with EM sensitivity that metal beds act as a conduit by attracting/concentration all the EM fields in a room, so I took that Gauss meter I bought off Amazon and pointed it at my bed. The fucking needle went off the chart, between 2.5 to 5.0 Gauss. Supposedly, up to 2.5 Gauss is a safe level for humans, but for people sensitive to EM fields, its much lower:

It reminds me of bedtime stories with my father Victor and his lab partner Igor. Storms still scare me... and fire... let's not talk about fire...
[Image: bride2.png]

In all seriousness, there are perceptions beyond Aristotle's five. This Harvard Medicine article lists additionally
  • Equilibrioception. Whether you’re slaloming down a slope or strutting down a street, this sense—otherwise known as balance—helps keeps you upright. Although vision plays a role in equilibrioception, the vestibular system of the inner ear is mainly responsible.
  • Nociception. If you’ve touched a boiling kettle or stubbed a toe, you’re likely all too familiar with nociception, the sense of pain. Recent research shows that what was once viewed as a subjective experience related to touch is, in fact, a distinct phenomenon that corresponds to a specific area in the brain.
  • Proprioception. Close your eyes and touch your fingertip to your nose. Quick: Where’s your hand? Unless you suffer from a deficit of this kinesthetic sense, you know where your hand is, even though you can’t see it. This sense, the awareness of where your body parts are, sounds silly—until you consider that without it, you’d have to constantly watch your feet to make sure they were planted on the ground.
  • Thermoception. You notice a chill in the air, so you don a jacket on your way to work. Later, as you enter your warm office, you shed that garment. That’s thermoception, the sense of heat and cold, which relies on temperature sensors in your skin to keep you from overheating or freezing.
  • Temporal perception. There’s no doubt that the perception of time can be subjective: Three hours spent at a party with friends may speed by, while a three-hour meeting can seem to drag. Yet our sense of time is rooted in biology. Research shows that the basal ganglia and other parts of the brain are responsible.
  • Interoception. When we take our internal perception into account, we have even more senses. These are linked to sensory receptors found in internal organs, such as those in the lungs that control respiratory rate.”

I believe you, that it is possible we might have variably others, even though the skeptical medical people don't think so.
the article Wrote:"Perhaps most fascinating, though, are the senses we don’t have. Ever wish you could sniff out hidden objects, see in the dark, or detect magnetic and electric fields? In humans, these senses are the domain of superheroes. Yet they’re a natural advantage to some animals."
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

I recently had to replace the last of a small stockpile of Windows 98 era keyboards and mice that had gotten me through the past 2 decades. I spend weeks, even months hunting around for things like this trying to find the best balance between a clean simple look, low prices, and quality construction that will last. Not to mention all the little details like how the scroll wheel feels, button placements, shapes and sizes and so on... I also detest wireless input devices for my PC, which require constant battery changing and always die at the least convenient times. Anyway!

I've been using these for several months now and I'm quite happy with them so far. Assuming they last, I'd definitely buy them again, if there are any left to buy when I need a replacement. Funny coincidence - both product names end with '100'!

Input devices, like headphones, are very personal items, so I can't promise anyone else they'll like these just because I do -- but it can be hard to spot products like these among the sea of extremes, where your search results will mostly consist of $10-$15 budget products that last only a few months, and the overpriced Extreme Ultimate Master Gaming Device 9000's that cost 2-4x as much and may not even last longer than the cheap ones... so I thought I'd share.

[Image: 23-702-003-13.jpg]
Keyboard: Turtle Beach Impact 100
Price at time of purchase: $25 (ordered directly from their website; I purchased 2, so I didn't have to pay s/h)
Notes: The LED in the Spacebar is off by default, iirc, and is toggled with a special key combo. Stays on or off as you specified through power cycles. Also note, this keyboard is a tad loud - but just a tad. It could bother someone attempting to sleep in the same room you're typing.

======================

[Image: A9JN_131244340963039663JG9fS7ECAr.jpg]
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 100
Price at time of purchase: $30 (ordered from Amazon)
Notes: 5 button mouse. The LED can be disabled, dimmed, and colored using software from the manufacturer - software that does NOT run constantly as a background process! Once you send settings to the mouse, it remembers it, even if you uninstall the software, use it on a different PC etc. I hate unnecessary background processes!
Since this is now a general keyboard and mouse review/opinion thread, I submit to you my opinion on my keyboard.

The last two keyboards I've used were from Azio. I bought the first one (Azio Levetron L70) because it was on sale and had an actual volume knob. I think I paid $20 or so for it. I used it for a few years and really liked the feel of it.

Right now I'm using an Azio MGK L80 mechanical keyboard. It cost a lot more than my previous Azio, but it's a Kailh Brown mechanical keyboard with an aluminum body and has the actual volume knob that I really need in a keyboard. The red LEDs also match my case, so that was a plus. This is a great keyboard. It feels good and has a very minimalist design. Also, volume knob. Throw out the wrist rest because who the hell likes those?

I bought my son a Logitech G610 for Christmas (I got it on sale for about $80CAD), and I'm pretty impressed with it. I would definitely buy one for myself if I decided to replace my Azio L80.
(04-28-2018, 03:20 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Since this is now a general keyboard and mouse review/opinion thread, I submit to you my opinion on my keyboard.

The last two keyboards I've used were from Azio. I bought the first one (Azio Levetron L70) because it was on sale and had an actual volume knob. I think I paid $20 or so for it. I used it for a few years and really liked the feel of it.

Right now I'm using an Azio MGK L80 mechanical keyboard. It cost a lot more than my previous Azio, but it's a Kailh Brown mechanical keyboard with an aluminum body and has the actual volume knob that I really need in a keyboard. The red LEDs also match my case, so that was a plus. This is a great keyboard. It feels good and has a very minimalist design. Also, volume knob. Throw out the wrist rest because who the hell likes those?

I bought my son a Logitech G610 for Christmas (I got it on sale for about $80CAD), and I'm pretty impressed with it. I would definitely buy one for myself if I decided to replace my Azio L80.

Of what does the knob adjust the volume?
(04-28-2018, 04:14 AM)LavCat Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 03:20 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Since this is now a general keyboard and mouse review/opinion thread, I submit to you my opinion on my keyboard.

Of what does the knob adjust the volume?
I crank it to 11 for optimal play.
[Image: eleven2.jpg]