Recommend me a new mouse!
My Logitech G500 is slowly developing a case of the double-clicks and is dying. My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas, so maybe a new mouse is in order.

I really like the form of the Logitech gaming mice. I've gone from a MX510 > G5 > G500 over the last 10 or so years and I've been really happy with them. I've looked at the G400s, and that is what I am currently leaning towards. It's not a laser mouse like the G5 and G500, nor does it have adjustable weights, but those features aren't something I really need anyways. I also don't really need on-the-fly adjustable DPI, or a side-scrolling wheel. I've never actually used those features on my G5 or G500.

That being said, I'm not necessarily committed to Logitech. I'll try something else if someone can suggest something good, for a good price. The only features I really need are a pair of thumb buttons and it has to be fairly large and heavy-ish like the Logitech gaming mice.
I use the G400. I don't think there is another mouse out there that I would trade it up for at the moment. Most of them are a lot of fluff or marketing BS that has no use at all.

G400 has precision, comfort, and is actually wired which, as far as I'm concerned, is necessary.
(12-14-2013, 04:56 AM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: G400 has precision, comfort, and is actually wired which, as far as I'm concerned, is necessary.

I'm with you on the wired thing. Every wireless mouse I've tried has left me unimpressed.

It looks like the G400 has been replaced by the G400s. Is that a big difference?
(12-14-2013, 06:59 AM)DeeBye Wrote: It looks like the G400 has been replaced by the G400s. Is that a big difference?

From what I can tell it's just a re-skin with slightly better tech. Should essentially be the same thing.
I use the Logitech G700. It has 4 thumb buttons. It is wireless, but the charging cord can be left connected and it can be used as a wired mouse.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
I'll give another vote for the G400. I've been very happy with mine.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Thanks for the replies everyone. Staples.ca has the G400s for sale online for $39.99 and a local store has a price match +10% policy. I showed it to my wife and she went out Christmas shopping so now there is a G400s-sized gift under the tree for me Smile
I miss my old mouse. It had shoulder buttons, a programmable multi position scroll wheel (it would "click" left and right, as well as click down, + scroll) and another programmable mini button on top.

It was the perfect wow tank mouse. I had every cooldown mapped to that thing.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-17-2013, 04:09 PM)shoju Wrote: I miss my old mouse. It had shoulder buttons, a programmable multi position scroll wheel (it would "click" left and right, as well as click down, + scroll) and another programmable mini button on top.

It was the perfect wow tank mouse. I had every cooldown mapped to that thing.

Then I suggest my current gaming rodent, the Logitech G600.

Sixteen thumb keys? Break out Bartender and get yourself a whole bunch of easy-to-reach action commands. The two mouse-status switching buttons beneath the scroll wheel? Can be rebound in the Logitech software, as can the G-shift button to the right of the RMB. That mouse wheel left and right thing you loved so much? It's here too, and I'm having trouble adapting to other mice because mouse wheel tilting feels so danged natural.

I understand it's not to everyone's tastes, but it is a versatile mouse and probably exactly what you're looking for.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
That's.... too many thumb buttons for me.

Nice mouse, but I'd spend the next year learning how to not fat finger the thumb buttons.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(12-19-2013, 03:05 PM)shoju Wrote: That's.... too many thumb buttons for me.

Nice mouse, but I'd spend the next year learning how to not fat finger the thumb buttons.
They are a fairly decent size, and each half of the twelve are angled inwards in a block of six. Your thumb rests easily in the depression in the middle of the G9-G14 block, and there's a similar arrangement for the G15-G20 block.

I did cut my teeth on the Razer Naga though, which has tiny buttons all laid flat on the surface. There was even a pack of stick-on bumps that you were expected to place on some of the keys so you could find them easily. Never used them, and there were a few slip-ups.

But the thumb keys on the G600 are a comfortable size.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
IMO, leave the mice behind:

M570 Trackball

I just can't go back to mice after using a trackball. The M570 fits in your hand so nice, gives you 5 buttons to work with (all of them programmable) and the only thing you ever move is your thumb.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(12-20-2013, 05:31 PM)Lissa Wrote: IMO, leave the mice behind:

M570 Trackball

I just can't go back to mice after using a trackball. The M570 fits in your hand so nice, gives you 5 buttons to work with (all of them programmable) and the only thing you ever move is your thumb.

I have a Trackman. I've been using it since before WoW, which implies with older Blizzard games, which means the microswitches have been replaced at least twice already.

The trackball is afixed to my desk with putty. I see no reason not to have a cord. The PS/2 was a terrible computer design but someone at IBM got the mouse port right. I put moleskin on the buttons to get more traction.

My complaint with the Trackman is it takes a lot of cranking of the ball to move the cursor across the screen (by which time I am often almost dead). My habit is to flick the ball with my index finger to get the cursor going where I want it. I have not found any mouse setting in Windows or WoW that really works. A flaw in an otherwise excellent design.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(12-20-2013, 05:31 PM)Lissa Wrote: I just can't go back to mice after using a trackball. The M570 fits in your hand so nice, gives you 5 buttons to work with (all of them programmable) and the only thing you ever move is your thumb.

No thanks. The last time I used a trackball was sometime in the '80s. It was awkward then, and it's even worse now. There is a reason that there like 3 trackballs on the market compared to the thousands of mice.
(12-21-2013, 04:06 AM)DeeBye Wrote: There is a reason that there like 3 trackballs on the market compared to the thousands of mice.

I agree, there probably is a reason:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6292175.html
(12-21-2013, 04:06 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(12-20-2013, 05:31 PM)Lissa Wrote: I just can't go back to mice after using a trackball. The M570 fits in your hand so nice, gives you 5 buttons to work with (all of them programmable) and the only thing you ever move is your thumb.

No thanks. The last time I used a trackball was sometime in the '80s. It was awkward then, and it's even worse now. There is a reason that there like 3 trackballs on the market compared to the thousands of mice.

What, on Centipede? >.>

Trackballs, like the M570, are vastly different that what you saw in the 80s. I've found them to be far more comfortable than a mouse where only my thumb is really moving (cuts down on potential for carpal tunnel).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(12-21-2013, 06:03 PM)Lissa Wrote: What, on Centipede? >.>

Missile Command. THAT was a trackball!
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
It is my turn to need help. I am still using my pre WoW Trackman. But I have to grind the cursor across the screen. I can't take it any more. I could never do serious PvP like this. It's hard enough to do dailies, not to mention email.

As much as I'd like a 2014 PS/2 thumb trackball I fear the old millennium has passed. Many seconds of frustration are required to get the cursor across the screen. Not sure why, but it's time to try something else. The M570 is a possibility. I'd love to hear more on how well it works in WoW.

Also considering a Razer...probably Naga Hex MOBA or Abyssus. The Logitech mice have too many buttons. Can anyone tell me the difference between an optical mouse and a laser mouse? I thought they all used LED's?

Thanks!
Quote:Can anyone tell me the difference between an optical mouse and a laser mouse? I thought they all used LED's?

Nope, a laser mouse uses a laser, hence the name (though technically it is still an optical mouse). They have a better dpi and work on more surfaces than regular optical mice. They're also usually more expensive.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
After a lot of reading I am leaning towards the M570. I just wish they made a PS/2 version. If I get an M570 it means I have to have two trackballs on my desk, whereas now I use a KVM.

Lissa (or anyone), how does one configure the extra buttons for WoW?