Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
The problems you experienced occur with vanilla Hellfire multiplayer (and exist in the original Diablo as well if you attempt to enable SP only quests in multiplayer); sadly the quest specific code responsible for generating items in the dungeons or from NPCs as rewards are not synchronized at all and cause problems.

For Hellfire, only the player who turns in the quest reward to Celia will see the reward amulet generated, and if that player is anyone other than the host (or whoever is currently acting as host, if they left), it will disappear when they attempt to retrieve it. In general if you wish to attempt to interact with the quests/items at all, only the host should touch them.

There's also a bug with the Hive where the generation seed gets desync'd somewhere after creating the layout - many times in the Hive the players present will see identical level structure and paths, but the location of monsters, barrels, chests, and consequently every item they drop, is totally out of sync, which leads to a lot of monsters teleporting when activated on other player's screens, and nobody but the host can pick up items pre-placed on the floor or dropped by monsters/containers. Not really anything you can do but rehost and try again. It seems to happen less often if you visit one of the vanilla dungeons first before going to the Hive.

The good news is... if the host successfully picks up desynced quest/reward items, they can then drop the item and it will exist properly for other players who can see and pick them up. Excepting, of course, the ones that randomly vanish... I once had a very important item disappear in an Ironman game in vanilla Diablo, that was disappointing!

Hopefully some day we have an open source Diablo engine where all of the quests work properly in multiplayer. I spent some time working on them only to discover enabling them causes far more problems than I could fix.

[Edit: Corrected mis-explanation for what items bug out in desync'd Hive]
(03-05-2017, 10:01 PM)Belix Wrote: The problems you experienced occur with vanilla Hellfire multiplayer (and exist in the original Diablo as well if you attempt to enable SP only quests in multiplayer); sadly the quest specific code responsible for generating items in the dungeons or from NPCs as rewards are not synchronized at all and cause problems.

For Hellfire, only the player who turns in the quest reward to Celia will see the reward amulet generated, and if that player is anyone other than the host (or whoever is currently acting as host, if they left), it will disappear when they attempt to retrieve it. In general if you wish to attempt to interact with the quests/items at all, only the host should touch them.

There's also a bug with the Hive where the generation seed gets desync'd somewhere after creating the layout - many times in the Hive the players present will see identical level structure and paths, but the location of monsters, barrels, chests, and consequently every item they drop, is totally out of sync, which leads to a lot of monsters teleporting when activated on other player's screens, and nobody but the host can pick up items that other players drop. Not really anything you can do but rehost and try again. It seems to happen less often if you visit one of the vanilla dungeons first before going to the Hive.

The good news is... if the host successfully picks up desynced quest/reward items, they can then drop the item and it will exist properly for other players who can see and pick them up. Excepting, of course, the ones that randomly vanish... I once had a very important item disappear in an Ironman game in vanilla Diablo, that was disappointing!

Hopefully some day we have an open source Diablo engine where all of the quests work properly in multiplayer. I spent some time working on them only to discover enabling them causes far more problems than I could fix.

Okay, that makes sense, I will go and disable Single Player Quest so they aren't seen in Multiplayer again. Thank you for that information!

Otherwise, it ran perfect!
I got a Demon plate first time i completed warrior of blood and was kinda sad it wasn't a Demon spike Coat, and on top of that the item's stats seem nerfed down compared to what they are supposed to be.
Smile to strangers Smile
I don't recall making any changes to the Demon Plate Armor unique. I did change the text description of its enchantment to clarify exactly what "Extra AC vs Demons" meant to show the specific value (+40 AC). As far as I know, that extra AC is the only enchantment the armor ever had in either vanilla version of Hellfire.
Is the barbarian's health loss when using rage still removed in A5?

I hated the health loss and was looking forward to the fix. Sadly it doesn't seem to work in my instance.

Greetings crimer
(09-23-2017, 12:21 AM)crimer Wrote: Is the barbarian's health loss when using rage still removed in A5?

As far as I know, currently only a temporary Vitality penalty is imposed after it wears off. Current health should return to its previous value before using Rage if no damage was taken (whereas originally it would leave you damaged).

If you're taking damage from Rage beyond the temporary reduction in Vitality, something might be amiss. I think this fix was embedded in Marsh's Hellfire exe, and is not one of the ones I added or changed. If you were running this mod on Hellfire v1.01 I could see this problem occurring while other features such as the colored item outlines are working.
hi there, how do i make the resolution conform to 4:3 aspect, because it is stretched at all resolutions in fullscreen mode, even after i applied settings with '~' menu.
Hello everyone,
Hopefully I can reach out to someone that can help me in my situation Smile

I have read the whole forum, and I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has worked so hard on these mods to make Diablo so enjoyable once again Big Grin Me and my wife are very happy playing together!

My question is: I was playing Hellfire (with the 1.02_fixed patch) with a multiplayer character. I have no idea where the save file was saved in (I didnt have a need to locate it). I read about Marsh's 1.02 patch, so I decided that I would give it a try. I backed up all of the files in my C:\Diablo_Hellfire location before applying Marsh's patch.

I realized that once I opened the game with the loader.exe, everything worked fine, except my multiplayer character was not there anymore. So I went back and replaced all of the original backup files I had into the game directory. But when I went back and played the 1.02_fixed version, my multiplayer character is still not there anymore....

I am fearing that somehow I lost my multiplayer character file.. but I dont uderstand how, if I made a backup copy of everything, and then placed it back in the game folder...
This is a bit of a memory stretch for me but multiplayer Hellfire characters are not saved in the game folder, but in the C:\Windows folder. The character files are named hrinfo_#.drv. # will be 0 to 8. In later versions of Hellfire the Dark, characters were saved in the game folder, but in all other versions, they were saved in Windows. If you have such a file in your game folder, you might try copying and pasting it into C:\Windows. However, chances are you do not have such a file in your game folder and backing up your game folder would not have saved any of your MP characters.

OK. I did a quick check of my windows folder. It shows that I have 6 mp hellfire characters. If I launch either HF 1.01 or HFFixed, I see 2 multiplayer characters. If I launch HF1.02, I see 4 characters. I do not see the HF1.01 mp characters when I launch 1.02 and I do not see the 1.02 characters when I launch 1.01 or HFFixed. Frankly, I have no clue why this is happening.
Thanks for the reply Thenryb,

I looked at my backup game folder, and there is no "hrinfo_#" file. I then did a search on my C:/Windows directory for "hrinfo_" and "hrinfo_0", and ".drv", but nothing appeared in any of the attempts. Is the directory that you are refering exactly C:/Windows, and not in any sub folders? I checked all of the files at the root of C:/Windows, but didn't find anything there Sad Is there another location which they might be saved at?

Thats quite a mystery as to why you cannot see your 1.01 mp characters when you launch 1.02. It seems to be the problem I am having. The only difference is that you can find your mp characters files and I cant..

So in your case, if you copy the mp character files of your "C:/Windows" to the root directory of your 1.02 game, can you then see them upon launching 1.02? If thats the case, then I can do that if and when I find my HFFixed mp character files.

I attached some pictures of my windows folder, as well as my 1.02 hellfire folder.

EDIT: Its so strange. I made a new mp character running 1.02 (Marshs Mod). And then I looked at the game directory.. and there is no "hr_info" file!! It seems like its being stored somewhere else... arg. Is there because I am using Windows 7 64-bit?

(10-17-2017, 09:13 AM)svfn Wrote: hi there, how do i make the resolution conform to 4:3 aspect, because it is stretched at all resolutions in fullscreen mode, even after i applied settings with '~' menu.

svfn:
I had a similar issue where the image would be stretched no matter how I tried. The way I solved it was actually so simple. Your monitor comes buttons to configure brightness / gamma / contrast etc. Try going to that menu, and look for an option that deals with display size. Mine was "Image size". I changed it to auto, and the game doesnt stretch anymore.

Hope that helps!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aleris-the Marsh mod MP character files are also stored in C:Windows, just like any other Hellfire MP characters and not in your game folder. They are "hidden files" so in order to see them you have to configure your folders to show hidden files. They are not in any subfolder of C: Windows, at least on my system.
They are not only hidden but marked as System files. You have to Set your Explorer to Show those as well.
My Hellfire is installed on an old computer which still has XP as its OS, and those files are shown in C:Windows and not in C:Windows/System. It may be different with windows 7. I do not have any of those old Diablo games installed on any other computer.
Is it possible to save the monster count in transition to New Games with a character somhow with the mod?
Thank you everyone for your help! I went to the folder options and checked off "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)", and was then able to see the hrinfo_0 file! I am happy that I can now see the save files... but I am a bit sad as well. It seems like when I applied the patch, and created a new character to see if it worked... I overwrote the hrinfo_0 file Sad So... I believe I have lost my character now.

Well, now I know for future reference where these files are, and wont make the same mistake again. On the plus side, me and my wife will be playing with the patch, so less bugs yay Big Grin

Thanks again all!
With respect to the new character you created, was it the same class as the character overwritten? Actually, it should not matter since you are allowed 8 mp characters. I guess we are back to your original question which is why installing 1.02 caused your old HFFixed character to disappear. That did not happen to me and I have no clue why it happened to you. Anyway, enjoy the game. I have not played it myself in a long, long time.
My apologies for delayed replies again.

(10-17-2017, 09:13 AM)svfn Wrote: hi there, how do i make the resolution conform to 4:3 aspect, because it is stretched at all resolutions in fullscreen mode, even after i applied settings with '~' menu.
Hi svfn, this can be tricky these days.

-Check the display control panel for your system's video hardware (ATI, Intel, NVIDIA etc.) and look for any aspect scaling behavior forcing a widescreen display. There's typically 3 choices here, though the names may vary: Aspect Ratio (scales the image larger only until the edges touch the edges of your screen in one direction -- this it the behavior you want), Full-screen (stretches the entire image in any dimension to fill your display), or No scaling (will leave black empty space on all sides unless the fullscreen program is running at resolution close to your monitor's native resolution).

-Check that your monitor doesn't have its own aspect ratio/scaling mode behavior; if it does, this tends to default to forcing a stretch to widescreen, just like the video software, so set that to your desired mode as well or it will still scale the image your monitor gets, even if your computer is no longer stretching the image before it gets to the screen.

Hope that helps. Smile

Aleris Wrote:Hello everyone
Hello! I'm glad other members were able to help you sort that out. I actually was so annoyed by the game's behavior hiding the saves this way, that I wrote a patch just for me that let me move them into the game's directory, where they are NO longer saved as hidden system files. Unfortunately releasing this publicly would be a disaster, because the saves must first be moved, renamed, and cleared of the system tag properly if I recall, otherwise the player would start HF and find all their saves missing after updating to my mod. However, if anyone is interested in obtaining the code to do this for their own use, I'd be happy to share it. Just remember I can't help you if saves get misplaced or lost or mixed up... you're on your own there. Make backups first!

Davias Wrote:Is it possible to save the monster count in transition to New Games with a character somhow with the mod?
Sadly, this would require editing how the game writes character saves. I lack sufficient expertise to make such a complex change, and so far the only people I know who have ever achieved save modification are the guys working on The Hell; they implemented an extra inventory slot to add a Weapon switch feature. Perhaps one day when I understand how they made Diablo save that between games, I could figure this out, but the amount of data locations involved to capture and restore all that information would be a huge code patch. I thought it would be nice to have that too before, though, so you're not the only one who'd appreciate a real lifetime kill count just as a neat statistic for the character's career... but alas, many of our kills over the years will already be forever uncounted. I still have characters around that are over 10+ years old. I'd love to see how much action they got like this.
Happy New Year everybody. I'm so glad to have found that this patch is still being worked on, I had been using version A4 for a while and was quite happy wit the improvements it made, version A5 is proving even better. Thankyou, Belix, for devoting the time to this.

I do have a couple questions, whenever you have time for them.

Firstly am I the only one bothered by the Auric Amulet doing nothing? I agree that it was sorta dumb as a quest reward and it's so much nicer for gold piles to always be 10000 max, but I feel like the amulet should still do *something*. Are there any effects from D2 that would be possible to replicate for it, like increased gold/magic find? Maybe throw some charges of the Rogue's Disarm Trap skill on it since it looks like a treasure chest? Or the Thaumaturgic shrine effect? I dunno, just somethin' so it's not garbage.

Secondly, is it wrong of me to be using Gillian to make the oils I apply to my weapons carry over from each game? I've nearly doubled the damage of my Bard's main weapon and it seems like a bad idea to stop now. : P

Thirdly, I've noticed that the Long War Bow is using a previously unused graphic to set it apart from the Long Battle Bow... is there any desire for other items that use the same artwork to be given new graphics? (Long Bow / Hunter's Bow, Sword / Short Sword, Plate Mail / Field Plate, etc)

Thanks again for your work on this patch, it's been great to get back into the game with the improvements you've made to it. : )
(01-01-2018, 07:39 PM)DeusExCeteri Wrote: Firstly am I the only one bothered by the Auric Amulet doing nothing?

You're not alone. I wish there was an option to give the Auric Amulet some type of function if you are using the permanent 10,000 gold setting. Personally, I'd probably give it the effect of the Search spell in some way.
Maybe 100% magic find or something? or 100% to gold find? Like the D2s gloves of chance.