Vin Diesel's film company's name sounds like an Aryan hate group
One Race Films
(12-21-2013, 04:39 AM)DeeBye Wrote: One Race Films

2fast, 2 fuehreious.

It's probably just a bad coincidence. Mr. Diesel from most written account at least, sounds bro tier. He plays D&D, like old skool paper type D&D. Supposedly even got Dame Judy Dench to play (probably in between breaks during 'Riddick'.) Worked as a bouncer during his early actor\student days, and was the voice of the Iron Giant. Still IMO, his finest dramatic acting work to date.

I wouldn't hold the name, or his shaved head as anything sinister in context. That would be too much of an over reich.

edited for spelling mistake. Not that I'm a nazi about it or anything.

(Warning label for those afflicted with literalitis. No, I doubt Vin Diesel is actually a Neo Nazi.)
(12-21-2013, 10:12 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: It's probably just a bad coincidence.

Yeah, I know. I just thought it was kind of funny.

I think I read somewhere that he agreed to do his cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift in exchange for the film rights to Riddick (I just looked it up). I like that a lot. I've always thought that the Riddick movies were woefully under-rated, and I'm glad he managed to make the latest one.
(12-22-2013, 04:59 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Yeah, I know. I just thought it was kind of funny.

It is. And I know that you knew. Ya know. Big Grin

Quote:I think I read somewhere that he agreed to do his cameo at the end of Tokyo Drift in exchange for the film rights to Riddick (I just looked it up). I like that a lot. I've always thought that the Riddick movies were woefully under-rated, and I'm glad he managed to make the latest one.

Damn brown outs due to ice storm in my area, 4th attempt at replying so gotta make it quick. I really enjoyed Riddick 1. Riddick 2 was a bit uneven, but still a gorgeous hot mess for the visual design. Semi interested in the 3rd one.

edited for grammerz.
(12-22-2013, 08:53 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: I really enjoyed Riddick 1. Riddick 2 was a bit uneven, but still a gorgeous hot mess for the visual design. Semi interested in the 3rd one.

I honestly thought Chronicles was the best one, even though critics hated it. As you said, the visual design is outstanding. I loved how over-the-top all of the characters were. They are almost archetypes unto themselves. Chronicles was like Conan the Barbarian in space! The names of things further cemented its corniness - Necromonger, Crematoria, Furya, Helion, a bounty hunter named Toombs. Awesome stuff. My only complaint about it is that it really puts Riddick into a hero role, when his appeal is as a prototypical antihero. Riddick is not a good guy.

Pitch Black is to Chronicles as Alien is to Aliens. The formers were more of a horror sci-fi, while the latters were more of an action sci-fi. The 3rd Riddick film is sort of an homage to Pitch Black (I won't spoil anything) made on a shoestring budget (around $40 million). If you enjoyed Pitch Black and/or Chronicles of Riddick on any level, it's worth checking out. I liked it a lot.

Dark Fury is a short (~30 mins) animated film set between Pitch Black and Chronicles. I got it as a part of a box set, but I think you can also buy it separately.

If I had to rank them, I'd go Chronicles > Pitch Black > Riddick > Dark Fury.
(12-21-2013, 04:39 AM)DeeBye Wrote: One Race Films
Sometimes, a race is cars, horses, or people seeing who is fastest.

It is you who appears to have the issues, DeeBye, not Vin Diesel.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(01-22-2014, 02:26 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: It is you who appears to have the issues, DeeBye, not Vin Diesel.

Oh please. It was a mildly interesting observation on a film studio name and logo, and how it might be perceived the wrong way in a different context.

[Image: pwRIJrW.jpg]

Thanks for commenting a month later and not-so-subtly insinuating that I'm a closet racist though.
(01-22-2014, 04:31 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(01-22-2014, 02:26 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: It is you who appears to have the issues, DeeBye, not Vin Diesel.

Oh please. It was a mildly interesting observation on a film studio name and logo, and how it might be perceived the wrong way in a different context.

[Image: pwRIJrW.jpg]

....Now that you shown me that logo. It does look kinda disturbingly familiar for some reason, especially with the red and black colour scheme. And Mr Diesel almost always, sports a shaved head. Hmmm, wait isn't 'Diesel' a germanic sounding name. Oh no...oh dear god no...uh oh. It's a cookbook! To Serve Man! It's a cookbook!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Tongue Anyway now that I'm necromongering up the thread, might as well derail it further by talking about Riddick stuff.

I did remember 'Dark Fury' animated short, at least it's existence. But it's been a while that I don't remember much\any of the story. Time for a refresher I guess. I did remember it was directed by Peter Chung, the guy who did Aeon Flux, a segment on 'The Animatrix'.

Despite the mixed reviews of 'Riddick', I was surprised that Diesel supposedly mortgaged his house to help finance the filming. That's pretty durn committed.

I'm still mixed with the change making the character a Furyan vs the first film, just a dangerous anti-hero who got a prison surgery to get eyeballs enhancement. It's not midichlorian bad, but I'm mixed on it.

The universe the character inhabits though, in general I can still dig it, and I would not mind seeing more of it.
Three observations.

1. Necromongered threads. lol.
2. I want to be Furyan unless it requires heavy workouts. Otherwise, I'm petitioning to have our water supply midichlorianated.
3. The logo is not so much Über Obersturmbannführer but definitely very phallic.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(01-23-2014, 12:24 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Otherwise, I'm petitioning to have our water supply midichlorianated.

This is an old intergalactic newsletter I got, I think from the 2nd Jedi Council re: Midichlorianated hydration and it's effects on life forms.

I'm not going to quote the whole thing because frankly it's drier than a tattoine landscape, and just as exciting.

Anyhow it goes on to describe that the 2nd Jedi Council has observed in some subjects. High dosage and concentrations of midichlorianated water may cause severe problems\side effects, in humanoids and non humanoid species.

These effects include:

- Red eye. (See example holocron image below)
[Image: Anakin-Skywalker-anakin-skywalker-171867..._large.jpg]

- Severe mood swings.

- Loss of control over mental inhibitions, and psychokinetic powers.

- Severe depression and feelings of anger. In extreme cases, overwhelming urge to commit planetary genocide.

- Impaired judgement. (May accelerate cases of dyslexia and riddle-itis in non human species.)

- Long and short term memory loss, unable to recognize members of family, friends, and droid servants.

- Impaired 5 dimensional spatial skills needed to operate a space vehicle and or heavy and large machinery and or structures. Similar or identical symptoms to galactic vertigo.

[Image: darth_vader_spinning_out_of_control-9781.gif]

Quote:3. The logo is not so much Über Obersturmbannführer but definitely very phallic.

It can also look like a 'do not disturb' sign for a motel door. Just knock out the globe. Oh...dear Thor. I think that's the real message. The red and black is just a ruse. It's not an Aryan hate group. What he really is, is the antiBond.

[Image: xxx_vin_diesel.jpg]
(01-22-2014, 06:59 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: I did remember 'Dark Fury' animated short, at least it's existence. But it's been a while that I don't remember much\any of the story.

It's like the rest of the Riddick lore. Riddick is captured by mercs. He tells the mercs how he will kill them once he's free. Riddick gets free and kills the mercs. An innocent person didn't get in Riddick's way and was saved.

Quote:Despite the mixed reviews of 'Riddick', I was surprised that Diesel supposedly mortgaged his house to help finance the filming. That's pretty durn committed.

I have nothing but high praise for Vin Diesel and his embrace of the Riddick franchise. I thought the series was done for after Chronicles didn't do very well at the box office.

Quote:I'm still mixed with the change making the character a Furyan vs the first film, just a dangerous anti-hero who got a prison surgery to get eyeballs enhancement.

Furya is only briefly mentioned at the beginning of Riddick and forgotten afterwards. It stays true to the Pitch Black version of the character.

Quote:necromongering up the thread

lol
(01-23-2014, 05:07 AM)DeeBye Wrote: It's like the rest of the Riddick lore. Riddick is captured by mercs. He tells the mercs how he will kill them once he's free. Riddick gets free and kills the mercs. An innocent person didn't get in Riddick's way and was saved.

I watched it again, and there was some details that I didn't remember seeing when I first saw it. Maybe because I was half asleep at the time after a long shift work.

But yeah, nice touch with the hint of 'Furya' on one of the statues. The first fight scene was really well done. Enjoyable overall, Peter Chung's graphic style meshes nicely with the Riddick universe.

Quote:Furya is only briefly mentioned at the beginning of Riddick and forgotten afterwards. It stays true to the Pitch Black version of the character.

Alright I finally managed to see this one. Definitely matches up to it's R rating, but hey I'm legal age so no problem here. I know going in it's not a 'Smurfs' movie.

The visual effects looks like it got bumped down from the 2nd's baroque over the toppiness. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it can match the 'back to core' overall direction.

There are times where it looks obvious green screen, but personally I can overlook it.

Story and character wise, I did read that some reviewers found it cheesy. Sure, some of it is. But certain things the character did, for me it was believable enough. Because I knew some people like that in real life in my younger days. The CGI dingo\dango anubis eared alien dog looks, well CGI. But the interaction between the dog and Riddick I didn't find too bad. Some of the visual designs looks like what I'd imagined if they made 'Borderlands' into a movie.

It's probably not Shakespeare in Space. However I didn't find it as bad as some reviewers claim. It becomes interesting to me, when I see it more as a story about a savagely cunning space barbarian, who got crowned as a space caesar. Him realizing (almost too late) that a kingdom\empire internal politics and power jockeying can be as lethal as a slam yard fight, and despite his anti-hero nature he does still have some kind of 'code'.

'Chronicles' has more CGI and sfx sumptuousness, along with Dame Judy Dench and Colm Feore awesome scenery chewing. 'Riddick' is pared down, back to core basics.

The ending is pure sequel bait. But I'd be interested in seeing it. Tongue
Vin says Universal wants to do another Riddick movie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/289073...to-riddick

Quote:"I'm just excited, and happy, and I'm shouting out to you guys to say thank you. Universal just called me and told me Riddick is number one on the DVD charts. There's no way Riddick would have been made without you guys. You know that. and you guys have been a part of our page since 2012 and remember how arduous a road it was to get the movie made, and to make it rated 'R,' and to do it with such a low budget. It's a win for all of us and I really, really thank you so much. Yeah, I'm excited, and of course, Universal also says they want to develop the next one."
The next one? In like 5 years?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(01-29-2014, 06:11 PM)kandrathe Wrote: The next one? In like 5 years?

I don't mind waiting 5 years for a movie I would probably enjoy.
I don't like to wait. Look what happened to Starwars when you let time and movie execs mess with your story. You'd get pitch black with shades of gray, and the occasional technicolored unicorn being ridden by a pseudo jarjar.

(01-31-2014, 12:25 AM)kandrathe Wrote: I don't like to wait. Look what happened to Starwars when you let time and movie execs mess with your story. You'd get pitch black with shades of gray, and the occasional technicolored unicorn being ridden by a pseudo jarjar.

Isn't Star Wars exactly the opposite case from studio meddling?

-Jester
(01-31-2014, 11:13 AM)Jester Wrote: Isn't Star Wars exactly the opposite case from studio meddling?
I guess in this case, due to his earlier toy marketing success, by 1994 Lucas became the studio executive who tainted his own film. I'm not sure when he became a sell out, but it is clearly before 1994.

Wow, lack of comprehension from DeeBye. Who saw that coming?

I did not call you a closet racist. What I said is you have issues, and maybe I need to clear up what I meant:

You read something into it, for your own reasons (whatever those may be).
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(02-02-2014, 02:10 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Wow, lack of comprehension from DeeBye. Who saw that coming?

I did not call you a closet racist. What I said is you have issues, and maybe I need to clear up what I meant:

You read something into it, for your own reasons (whatever those may be).

It was a joke. Not at anyone's expense, not you, not me, not Mr Diesel's. It was a tongue, in cheek, quip.

Though I personally still blame Deebye for putting up that 'dancing Vin Diesel\thank you to the fans' link, because then I went surfing and found something related.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxoGArufdc

/man crush intensifies

As always, I blame Deebye.