I wish I could play Diablo 2 on a 1920x1080 monitor without it looking like
ass.

That is all.
Multi-res, v1.12. That is all.

Oh yeah, I wrote a guide: http://www.medianxl.com/t1716-guide-to-m...-diablo-ii

Enjoy.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(01-05-2014, 03:02 AM)Taem Wrote: Multi-res, v1.12. That is all.

Oh yeah, I wrote a guide: http://www.medianxl.com/t1716-guide-to-m...-diablo-ii

Enjoy.

Wow. Does this work with LoD?
Of course, but not on realms. Realms requires patch 1.13d, not 1.12a.

If you don't mind single-player, Just omit step 6 & 7 to disregard playing with Median XL. I highly recommend PlugY for 100-pages of personal stash and "Optional" #2-#4 for the font fix which really makes the diablo fonts easy to read in increased resolution and look beautiful, but those are both my personal preference. If you don't want to use PlugY, then just use Multires and start D2 with d2multi.exe, or whatever it's name is.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I play (not often) at 1920x1200 and use the monitor to stretch to full screen. There is a bit of aspect ratio distortion which I can live with. Morphological Filtering might help (since I use ATi) but have not tried Morphological Filtering with D2. I think I will next time I log on.

I am kind of shocked as I thought advocating maphack was discouraged here. How times have changed.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Do you consider multires maphack? Or are you referring to my link (on another forum) to mmap? I was not advocating anything but multires on these forums. I'm pretty confident the users on these forums are intelligent enough to distinguish the difference in my link between multires and a maphack, and are mature enough to choose not to support a program these forums do not support. If you feel differently about this, then perhaps you can take it up with Bolty?
(01-05-2014, 10:52 PM)Taem Wrote: Do you consider multires maphack? Or are you referring to my link (on another forum) to mmap? I was not advocating anything but multires on these forums. I'm pretty confident the users on these forums are intelligent enough to distinguish the difference in my link between multires and a maphack, and are mature enough to choose not to support a program these forums do not support. If you feel differently about this, then perhaps you can take it up with Bolty?

I do not equate multires, nor graphical improvements such as morphological filtering with maphacks, however the linked post advocates the use of maphacks, even if maphack use is optional.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(01-05-2014, 09:16 PM)LavCat Wrote: I am kind of shocked as I thought advocating maphack was discouraged here. How times have changed.

I don't think anyone cared if people used maphack as long as it wasn't on the realms.
(01-06-2014, 02:36 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(01-05-2014, 09:16 PM)LavCat Wrote: I am kind of shocked as I thought advocating maphack was discouraged here. How times have changed.

I don't think anyone cared if people used maphack as long as it wasn't on the realms.

That's not how I remembered it, but, I'll let others say more.
--Mav
(01-06-2014, 02:38 AM)Mavfin Wrote: That's not how I remembered it, but, I'll let others say more.

I might be wrong. I never waded too deeply into maphack discussions.
Well, if you're playing games with others on public Battle.net, the expectation is that you'd be playing the same game they are. Maphack use there would be cheating and is considered Bad Form.™

If you're playing single player Diablo II, I don't see why it matters what you do with the game. It's your game experience. You could make the same argument that a 100-tab stash is cheating, but it's just a single-player experience, so I don't see a big deal here. It would be like complaining that someone is cheating at Minesweeper.

You get into a gray area when you use cheating mods/hacks on a character that you later take into networked games with others. Are they okay with the fact that you modded your game to give you an advantage? Unless you've communicated all this beforehand, likely not, which is why there's been such a heavy hand about these things in the past.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
re: d2 maphack.

There was one practical reason I remembered why some people discouraged it. It was \ is very, very sketchy. Not just in the SP vs MP ethical quandry. But 'holy crap I think I got infected' kinda sketchy.

IIRC quite a few reports of 'wtf, my accounts \ pass were stolen...and all I had running was D2...and maphack.'

The attention has probably moved on to newer games, but I doubt it's worth the risk of possibly picking up an infection or a 'SRPRISE! KEYLOGGER!'.
(01-07-2014, 01:52 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: re: d2 maphack.

There was one practical reason I remembered why some people discouraged it. It was \ is very, very sketchy. Not just in the SP vs MP ethical quandry. But 'holy crap I think I got infected' kinda sketchy.

IIRC quite a few reports of 'wtf, my accounts \ pass were stolen...and all I had running was D2...and maphack.'

The attention has probably moved on to newer games, but I doubt it's worth the risk of possibly picking up an infection or a 'SRPRISE! KEYLOGGER!'.

This was also back in the days of very unsecure versions of Windows and web browsers, and a real lack of readily available anti-malware resident software. Even visiting a website with a shady banner ad could be enough to infect you with a keylogger. I don't think it was ever specific to maphack, but I do think the people doing random web searches for maphack or similar software would be enough to give them computer STDs.
(01-07-2014, 04:01 AM)DeeBye Wrote: This was also back in the days of very unsecure versions of Windows and web browsers, and a real lack of readily available anti-malware resident software. Even visiting a website with a shady banner ad could be enough to infect you with a keylogger. I don't think it was ever specific to maphack, but I do think the people doing random web searches for maphack or similar software would be enough to give them computer STDs.

I agree that while security around that era wasn't helping, there was a few things that was IIRC maphack* specific. Again, just going on my recollection, it was almost similar to what happened with D1 Stu's trainer. (Iirc Stu's original program was a limited, char back up utility, not really a cheating trainer. Yes yes, inb4 it's how you use it etc. ) Except I'm guessing maphack's creator wasn't just doing it for the coding challenge alone.

There was some people who modified an already sketchy program, to definitely include a trojan. Some of the big red flag was 'don't pay for MH, get this version for free!111'. Sounds obvious, but if someone desperately wants something bad enough, it's amazing how fast common sense can be shoved out the window.

* Just so we're on the same page, I'm talking about a specific MH program, that the creator wanted money for. I wouldn't be surprised if you remember hearing the name. It was fairly well known during D2\LoD's heyday.

I doubt I will play D2 again, but the last time I did it was increasingly on SP. And I did have Plug Y for testing builds, and I enabled the 'Realms Only runeword now valid for SP' txt file. I had an earlier version of Median as well. So I'm not exactly a stranger to modded play. (Obvious disclaimer, none of these things were in use when I played realms\multi.)

But I still didn't have MH even for SP use only. Because for myself, it's simply too risky to find out if even the 'genuine ver' is actually as clean as it claims to be.

TLDR ver:

MH has a notoriety that others didn't. Not the good kind.
(01-06-2014, 02:15 PM)Bolty Wrote: Well, if you're playing games with others on public Battle.net, the expectation is that you'd be playing the same game they are. Maphack use there would be cheating and is considered Bad Form.™

I have a brother-in-law who plays D2 on the realms regularly, using maphack and bots. That's the game as he's always known it (he came to the game long after it was at its most popular). He was floored when I said I've never tried either. To him it would be a completely different game.

Is there a point at which so many are cheating that the expectation is that you are indeed playing the same game (i.e. maphack + bots)?
(01-07-2014, 10:45 PM)vor_lord Wrote:
(01-06-2014, 02:15 PM)Bolty Wrote: Well, if you're playing games with others on public Battle.net, the expectation is that you'd be playing the same game they are. Maphack use there would be cheating and is considered Bad Form.™

I have a brother-in-law who plays D2 on the realms regularly, using maphack and bots. That's the game as he's always known it (he came to the game long after it was at its most popular). He was floored when I said I've never tried either. To him it would be a completely different game.

Is there a point at which so many are cheating that the expectation is that you are indeed playing the same game (i.e. maphack + bots)?

I never had d2 maphack on my own computer, but I did see it for myself. On a net\gaming cafe. This was during the Counterstrike, Starcraft, and yes D2 glorious all night net\gaming cafe.

I will safely bet that the cafe I went to, every machine had MH on. You still had to activate it, it didn't come on automatically when you fired up D2.

But it was definitely there, and I did see it being used by at least one person playing D2. (Everyone else at the time was playing CS, SCraft, a Korean MMORPG, etc.)

For some people, MH and bots is the 'real' D2. If the criteria is numbers alone, I suspect they might be right.
(01-07-2014, 10:45 PM)vor_lord Wrote: Is there a point at which so many are cheating that the expectation is that you are indeed playing the same game (i.e. maphack + bots)?

I definitely remember a time on the realms that advertising that you have maphack for a quick boss run was very common. At least, I remember seeing it all the time in chat.
1. I never played D2 MP until this year. I don't even know what maphack is. Should I be ashamed or glad?

2. One never knows where a thread will go on this forum. These days every thread contains at least some discussion of communism. So now this thread at least mentions communism.

3. I had thought that Taem did a nice job in his writeup--nicely organized and helpful. DeeBye did get his answer.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
It's only cheating if there's someone to be cheated.

What means is that if you are playing single player, you are cheating nobody but yourself.

However, if you say, post a video or enter a competition (say speedrun) and pass it off as geniune, then that you would be cheating people.

If you play a LAN and don't tell people, you are cheating them. Obviously you should not do it unless everyone doesn't object.

On battle.net there are laid out rules that you should not have full map access on the realms. This is cheating regardless. You are cheating everyone that plays on the server directly, or indirectly by not adhering to the rules everyone is bound by in the service.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(01-09-2014, 12:04 AM)Alram Wrote: 1. I never played D2 MP until this year. I don't even know what maphack is. Should I be ashamed or glad?

2. One never knows where a thread will go on this forum. These days some threads contain at least some discussion of capitalism and its objective social relationships. This thread at least mentions communism.

3. I had thought that Taem did a nice job in his writeup--nicely organized and helpful. DeeBye did get his answer.

Corrected for ya.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)