Guardians of the Galaxy looks like it might be really good.
I know nothing of the comics, but I love the cast and the writer/director.

http://marvel.com/movies/movie/179/guard...the_galaxy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7yOuhI1dzU
The preview I saw tonight is loaded with potential, and also with potential "Hollywood goons up a good story" problems.

The film we actually saw was Pompeii. Rather than being based on Pressfield's excellent book on that topic, it is ... well, cartoonish.

And my wife insisted we see it in 3-D.

John Snow does a great job.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(02-26-2014, 03:03 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: And my wife insisted we see it in 3-D.

I really can't stand 3D. I watched the 3rd Transformers movie with my son in 3D, and it was so distracting. You can't focus on anything that is not in the forefront. To try to do so is exhausting on the eyes. I paid more for the tickets and got a headache out of the deal. My son took his 3D glasses off halfway into the movie.

The new trailer for Godzilla shows promise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIu85WQTPRc
I have to say that Godzilla trailer is pretty captivating. It doesn't look like just another dumb giant monster flick with a cheesy storyline and a bad plot, but actually looks quite dark and apocalyptic, and like they may have actually tried to craft this one into something worthwhile. Let's hope it is not the disaster that the 1998 one was.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(02-26-2014, 06:50 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: It doesn't look like just another dumb giant monster flick with a cheesy storyline and a bad plot, but actually looks quite dark and apocalyptic, and like they may have actually tried to craft this one into something worthwhile. Let's hope it is not the disaster that the 1998 one was.

I love dumb giant monster flicks with cheesy storylines and bad plots more than the average man, and even I thought 1998 Godzilla was pure crap.
Yea it was pretty awful. And it didn't even look like Godzilla, it was basically an over-sized mutated iguana.

I did some more investigating on Godzilla 2014 and apparently there is going to be more than one monster in it. In the trailer there seems to be some glimpses of them, like the part where that one monster does a nose dive into the ocean and then you see all the jets crash down. And then that other scene where they show a "claw" that looks rather insect-like. At any rate I will definitely go to see this in theaters. Sometimes trailers can make movies look better than they are but hopefully this one lives up to it, cause the trailer is pretty damn good.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(02-26-2014, 03:37 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 03:03 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: And my wife insisted we see it in 3-D.
I really can't stand 3D.
That's two of us.

Even the effort of 3D did not make Avatar worth watching ... but I give them some credit for effort.

Godzilla trailer ... hmmm ... potential.
In Memory of Pete
(02-28-2014, 01:54 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 03:37 AM)DeeBye Wrote:
I really can't stand 3D.
That's two of us.

Even the effort of 3D did not make Avatar worth watching ... but I give them some credit for effort.

Quick Edit: This rant is in the context of 3D at cinemas, not a home theater system.
I concur that, regarding 3D, the media format leaves much to be desired.

I have two gripes with 3D. First, I barely notice the 3D effects over watching the movie in 2D so that extra $5 to $10 (depending on where you go) per person could best be spent on amenities such as popcorn and soda... or the parking space. When I say "barely notice the 3D", I'm not even remotely kidding here; I saw Deebye's post about it being a distraction, but never did I feel like objects were flying out at me. What bugs me the most about 3D in theaters is they turn the variance (the 3D effects) down so freaking low to accomodate for those who have trouble seeing 3D and those who suffer migraines after watching a 3D flick, that the 3D does not look 3D at all... a wasted form of media. If you want real 3D, get an Nvidia and tweak the variance to whatever depth you desire to really feel immersed in the 3D. As it stands now, I'll never bother wasting my cash on another 3D movie so long as the format continues in its current form.

Second, being in a dark room for that long, I often get a headache even without the 3D, but especially with the 3D technology they use, its about a 60% chance I'm going to walk out of the theater with a mild to moderate eye-strain headache. I don't get that with my 3D set at home, and I believe it has to do with external lighting from what I've read about ambient lighting in regards to watching television with the lights off. Here's a short interesting article about it which says it might or might not be true based on available scientific data, but for me I can confirm watching tv in the dark gives me a headache: link
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(02-28-2014, 02:32 AM)Taem Wrote: Quick Edit: This rant is in the context of 3D at cinemas, not a home theater system.

I agree in general. Most of the bad 3d stuff is still the old 1970's 'stuff flying at you'. The somewhat better ones are the ones that plays with visual depth.

But 3d in general, is probably on it's 'out' fashion cycle. The 'new' hotness is back to 2d high def. Like, 4k res high def.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150...3d-support

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy.

If Marvel follows the first Blade movie, take a relatively obscure character and make it lean, mean, and fun. Great. And 'Guardians' are relatively obscure in the Marvel rosters afaik. Not 'Rocket Racer' obscure, but not exactly Spiderman famous .

If it becomes like the last 'Fantastic Four', then I'll pass.

I wonder if there's a marvel\disney exec that is just reading through the Marvel encyclopedia scouring for obscure chars.

The Thor movie was allright...but the burning question is, Beta Ray Bill movie when?
(02-28-2014, 02:32 AM)Taem Wrote: Here's a short interesting article about it which says it might or might not be true based on available scientific data, but for me I can confirm watching tv in the dark gives me a headache: link
My parents taught me back in the 60's not to watch TV in a dark room without some background lighting. Eye strain was the point.
Still bicker with my wife about that. She'll want to watch a movie on our TV with no background lighting. I insist on the background lighting.

Glad to see someone is still raisin that point.

Same with computer screens: not good in a dark room. Some background lighting makes a huge difference.
In Memory of Pete
(02-28-2014, 08:15 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: I wonder if there's a marvel\disney exec that is just reading through the Marvel encyclopedia scouring for obscure chars.

The Thor movie was allright...but the burning question is, Beta Ray Bill movie when?

Some of that has to do with what they have the movie rights for. I don't know if Disney has bought everything back now, but when the Marvel movie production company was formed, part of the reason they used Iron Man as the first vehicle is because they don't have the right to Spiderman, X-Men, Fantastic Four, they didn't have Hulk at the time either, but got that back. There are some other properties they sold the rights to that never got produced. So they may in fact be doing just that, because they don't own the rights to some of the bigger ones.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Guardians of the Galaxy was really good.
(08-16-2014, 02:29 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Guardians of the Galaxy was really good.

Agreed, I really enjoyed it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Tangential thread hijack warning

I saw Lucy yesterday with my wife and we both enjoyed it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]