Does anyone own a Jeep Patriot or Jeep Compass and have an opinion?
I might be in the market for a newish vehicle within the next year, and 4WD is something I really want (Canada, snow, etc.). I was originally thinking that a 4x4 Ford Ranger would be ideal for me, but someone forgot to tell me that Ford and every other manufacturer stopped making compact pickup trucks a few years ago.

Jeep makes a couple of fairly inexpensive 4x4 vehicles (Patriot and Compass), and I'd like opinions on them. The only options I want/need are 4WD, manual transmission (I'll take auto if it's somehow cheaper), and air conditioning.

I don't think there are any cheaper 4WD vehicles on the market, but if there are - please let me know.
We just bought a used 2008 Honda Pilot with just under 90K. For me though, unless I get a smokin' hot deal (like my 2013 Kia), I mostly avoid anything with depreciation still in it. I'm mostly looking to drive them the last 200K, and not the first 100K.

In my research into reviews for "Best Affordable SUV", it looks like you've found the right answer already.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(04-19-2014, 06:16 PM)kandrathe Wrote: We just bought a used 2008 Honda Pilot with just under 90K. For me though, unless I get a smokin' hot deal (like my 2013 Kia), I mostly avoid anything with depreciation still in it. I'm mostly looking to drive them the last 200K, and not the first 100K.

I've usually done that too, but this time I think I want something either brand new or new enough that it's essentially brand new. I just started a new job a few months ago that's far enough away that I really need reliable transportation. Cabs and public transportation are not options, and my current '03 Olds Alero is reliable enough for me now, but it is starting to show some wear. I am not a car guy and have no idea how to fix it if it doesn't start.

Also, we had a hell of a crappy winter. Even my wife is starting to get sick of driving her tiny hatchback in the snow. Every winter that passes makes 4WD more appealing to us. We might just trade both of our old cars for new(ish) 4WD vehicles at the same time. I imagine we could swing a very good deal that way. It's not something we are prepared to do right now, but within a year or so we might be.

(04-19-2014, 06:16 PM)kandrathe Wrote: In my research into reviews for "Best Affordable SUV", it looks like you've found the right answer already.

I suspected as such. Just to be clear - I'm not set on a SUV for myself. I would actually prefer a compact 4-cyl pickup truck with 4WD, but they are non-existent. I'm also looking very closely at a Jeep Wrangler. The base model is pretty close to the prices of the 4WD Patriot and Compass, but it has way worse fuel economy thanks to its standard V6. Gas is expensive in Canada.
(04-20-2014, 03:28 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I've usually done that too, but this time I think I want something either brand new or new enough that it's essentially brand new. I just started a new job a few months ago that's far enough away that I really need reliable transportation. Cabs and public transportation are not options, and my current '03 Olds Alero is reliable enough for me now, but it is starting to show some wear. I am not a car guy and have no idea how to fix it if it doesn't start.
I can, but don't repair my own vehicles. Dependable is key. Once they are not I look to move onto something better.

Quote:Also, we had a hell of a crappy winter. Even my wife is starting to get sick of driving her tiny hatchback in the snow. Every winter that passes makes 4WD more appealing to us. We might just trade both of our old cars for new(ish) 4WD vehicles at the same time. I imagine we could swing a very good deal that way. It's not something we are prepared to do right now, but within a year or so we might be.
Aye. My wife stays nearer to home, so she uses the SUV most of the time for short trips. I commute an hour each way, so I use the one with better mileage. When we get bad storms, I'll take the SUV 4WD, and she'll stay home or wait for the plows to clear. I used to be able to telecommute more often, until my "new boss" was "old school" and didn't believe in such modern frivolities. Last week I changed to be working for the CIO, so we'll see how receptive he is to more telecommuting. More than the 2 hours of time, and less stress, it was usually at least $50 a week cheaper.

Quote:I suspected as such. Just to be clear - I'm not set on a SUV for myself. I would actually prefer a compact 4-cyl pickup truck with 4WD, but they are non-existent. I'm also looking very closely at a Jeep Wrangler. The base model is pretty close to the prices of the 4WD Patriot and Compass, but it has way worse fuel economy thanks to its standard V6. Gas is expensive in Canada.
Trucks and full sized vans are licensed different here (potential farm and work vehicles) and usually have V6 or V8. But, yes, worse mileage. Last winter shed any interest I may have had in diesel, electric or hybrid for awhile. I believe you are correct that they don't make 4WD light duty 4cyl trucks anymore.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

My last vehicle was a four cylinder Jeep that got close to forty miles per gallon (diesel). It was underpowered though for carrying any sort of heavy load.

Also during the winter the engine block had to be plugged in. But you folks up north probably have to plug in your bicycles.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
They stopped making the compact trucks, because the 1/4 trucks were just as fuel efficient without a lot of the headaches involved in the smaller platform. They are still available in some oversees markets where compact necessity is still a "thing", but not in North America Sad

As far as the Compass / Patriot, my Sister just purchased a Compass. I'm unsure if it's available in a manual setup, but she loves it. Not horrid on fuel. Good interior space (the main factor in purchasing it, as she now has 2 in car seats), and is reasonably pleased with the features she was able to get with it.

You might look into Subaru, I don't know if they sell the truck they have in Canada, but it's full time AWD.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(04-21-2014, 03:59 PM)shoju Wrote: They stopped making the compact trucks, because the 1/4 trucks were just as fuel efficient without a lot of the headaches involved in the smaller platform. They are still available in some oversees markets where compact necessity is still a "thing", but not in North America Sad

That's stupid. I want a little 4x4 Ford Ranger dammit.

(04-21-2014, 03:59 PM)shoju Wrote: As far as the Compass / Patriot, my Sister just purchased a Compass. I'm unsure if it's available in a manual setup, but she loves it. Not horrid on fuel. Good interior space (the main factor in purchasing it, as she now has 2 in car seats), and is reasonably pleased with the features she was able to get with it.

Unless Jeep's website is lying to me, I can configure both the Patriot and Compass with a 2.4L 4-cyl., 5-speed manual, 4WD (+$2,700), and A/C (+$1,200) without any other options. The differences between the Patriot and Compass seem pretty minute. Interior space isn't a huge deal for me. It just needs to fit 2 adults and a child in the back, with some room for a small amount of luggage. More is better though.

(04-21-2014, 03:59 PM)shoju Wrote: You might look into Subaru, I don't know if they sell the truck they have in Canada, but it's full time AWD.

I looked at Subaru's website, but they don't offer a truck in Canada. All of their models are full time AWD, but their cheapest one is a base Imprezza and it's more expensive than a Patriot/Compass.

I think I have enough to go on to begin looking.
You could import a ranger from Asia Smile
Well, if the Jeep Website says that you can have it, I would assume that somewhere, a lot has one for sale. I've not seen a manual jeep that isn't a wrangler in a long time. Might be different in Canada. Lazy 'muricans don't use standard transmissions much, outside of sports cars (Oh, if I could have another manual....)
That's bonkers. I am wondering WHERE they actually sell the truck? I have asked a couple of friends in Europe. They've not seen it. It's not in the US. You're saying not in the hat, so.... WHERE?! I would love to have one . It's based on the old baja style, but a little "taller" now.

Actually, if I could get my hands on a Sambar

[Image: BF154961_1.jpg]

I'd be pretty happy.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(04-22-2014, 04:23 PM)shoju Wrote: Well, if the Jeep Website says that you can have it, I would assume that somewhere, a lot has one for sale. I've not seen a manual jeep that isn't a wrangler in a long time. Might be different in Canada. Lazy 'muricans don't use standard transmissions much, outside of sports cars (Oh, if I could have another manual....)

This is a gallery photo of a Patriot from Jeep's Canadian website:
[Image: i6CWArQ.jpg]

I have no doubt that actually finding a Patriot with a manual transmission on a lot would be incredibly difficult. I love driving a manual. It just feels good. I don't really hate automatics, but I just don't see the advantage of paying more for something I don't need.
I am posting in my own dead thread.

I am leaning heavily towards getting a Jeep Wrangler. I'm unsure about soft tops vs hard tops. I like that the soft top is cheaper and probably easier to take down in good weather, but I worry about how well it holds up in nasty Canadian winter snowstorms. The hard top option isn't that much more (about $1k).

Has anyone here owned a Jeep with a soft top and care to comment on the durability and viability in snow/cold?
(07-19-2014, 02:35 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I am posting in my own dead thread.

I am leaning heavily towards getting a Jeep Wrangler. I'm unsure about soft tops vs hard tops. I like that the soft top is cheaper and probably easier to take down in good weather, but I worry about how well it holds up in nasty Canadian winter snowstorms. The hard top option isn't that much more (about $1k).

Has anyone here owned a Jeep with a soft top and care to comment on the durability and viability in snow/cold?

Have you looked at a used Subaru Baja? It's 4WD, and has a small bed. Nothing newer than 2010, but I love my 2005 model.

It's just ugly as sin. Smile
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
I would not own a Jeep Wrangler that was solely soft top in an "inclement weather" area. Even in Ohio, the soft tops don't last long. You'll be replacing it in short order if the weather in your neck of the woods is on par with, or worse than ours.

IMO, get the hard top, and then get the "soft top accessory kit" that allows you to store the hard top, and use the soft top in nicer weather. Not sure how much that would run you for a new one, but I just purchased one on ebay for my boss' CJ5, and it was ~400 for the soft top, brand new.
(07-21-2014, 12:15 AM)Bun-Bun Wrote: Have you looked at a used Subaru Baja? It's 4WD, and has a small bed.

I would absolutely buy one if I could find one with low milage.

(07-22-2014, 09:33 PM)shoju Wrote: I would not own a Jeep Wrangler that was solely soft top in an "inclement weather" area. Even in Ohio, the soft tops don't last long. You'll be replacing it in short order if the weather in your neck of the woods is on par with, or worse than ours.

IMO, get the hard top, and then get the "soft top accessory kit" that allows you to store the hard top, and use the soft top in nicer weather. Not sure how much that would run you for a new one, but I just purchased one on ebay for my boss' CJ5, and it was ~400 for the soft top, brand new.

Thanks! I don't know anyone around here that has a Wrangler with a soft top (probably for good reason), otherwise I would have asked them about it. I've seen a few Wranglers with soft tops around town, but the tops look all ratty even on newer looking Jeeps.
My uncle had a red jeep wrangler with a soft top. Someone cut it open with a knife to steal his stereo. Just something to consider. My friend's sister had a 1990 LeBarron with a soft top and had the same thing happen to her. Maybe it's just a California thing, I don't know, but I wouldn't get a soft top under any circumstances.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I pulled the trigger today and bought a new vehicle. I went with a 2014 Subaru Impreza 2.0i 5-door.

This is a picture I found on the internet because I don't pick it up until tuesday. Same colour and trim level.
[Image: Mxvx29r.jpg]

I gave up looking for a Jeep with manual transmission, 4WD, and A/C. They are so rare that they don't exist. I went to a bunch of other dealers looking at other vehicles with just those options, and they don't exist either. In most cases, A/C and 4WD means moving up a trim package which usually means no manual transmission available.

I went to a Subaru dealer today, and took a base model Impreza 5-door for a test. I loved it right away. The Impreza comes really well-equipped as a base model, with AWD, A/C, power windows/locks, heated side mirrors, bluetooth, USB ports, ABS, and eleventy billion airbags. A lot of those things I don't care too much about, but more is better I guess.

What I really loved was how it felt during my test drive. The clutch and shifter have really short throws, and the engine sound is fantastic (2.0L boxer engine). The suspension is much stiffer than my spongy Alero's, which I like. It just felt fun to drive, and I can't wait until the snow starts flying.

edit: I just checked the fuel economy of my new Impreza versus my old Alero, and just for kicks I also added in my wife's Suzuki Swift+ (rebadged Chevrolet Aveo in Canada - literally the same car)

[Image: jOXUU2O.png]

I had no idea that my wife's Suzuki was that bad for fuel economy. I always thought that with the really tiny 1.6L engine and liberal usage of lightweight plastic it would have been closer to 40 MPG on average. Boy was I wrong. I also looked up the economy on the Jeep Wrangler and it's terrible. The Patriot is a lot better, but still worse than the Impreza.
Of course you are probably aware that the EPA gas mileage numbers are not from real world conditions. Depending on your driving habits and the terrain where you drive, you can do better or worse.
I will use my car as an illustration. I drive a Prius C, a subcompact hybrid.

On the highway I get between 46 and 53 mpg--right around the EPA numbers. But on country roads where I can hypermile my way to and from my job, I get anywhere from around 62 mpg-75 mpg depending on the temperature, whether I have someone driving behind me, and whether I am driving to work or back home (the elevations differ)..

If you are interested in learning how to improve your mileage, Google the term "hypermiling" or start with one of these websites:

For detailed info:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510

For basic how to without any math:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/EM-hypermilin...riving.php
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(08-24-2014, 03:14 PM)Alram Wrote: Of course you are probably aware that the EPA gas mileage numbers are not from real world conditions. Depending on your driving habits and the terrain where you drive, you can do better or worse.

Yes, I know. I was just looking for a general idea of how my new car would compare to my old one and my wife's car with respect to fuel economy.