Gates/Seinfeld Ads
PA, as usual, boiled down my thoughts on something with efficiency and accuracy.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/9/15/

The last frame, in particular, captures my general line of thinking after viewing one of the Bill Gates/Seinfeld ads...

Good stuff.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
The Mac ads are much better. One would think that with all that money, and Jerry Seinfeld, that MS could have a more effective ad campaign. And that new ad with the Mojave Experiment made my wife curious enough to go to the website; unfortunately the website is boring.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
People are talking about the ads, aren't they? That's gotta be worth something. There's obviously (hopefully) a storyline or point they're getting to; they're just taking their sweet time getting there. Unlike the 30-second Mac ads.

I recently purchased a laptop with Vista pre-installed, and unlike all the past machines I've purchased in this situation, XP drivers are non-existant. So I'm sticking with Vista on it. I have to say, after getting things set up the way I want and finding where they moved all the various things, I kind of like it. It's a decently beefy laptop and as such can handle all the fancy visual stuff, but even still it feels a tad sluggish at times. I can see myself toning down the eye candy once the novelty wears off. The UAC was CRAZY annoying when configuring my settings and installing software but now that things are the way I like them, interference is somewhat minimal. There are still a few quirks and I hate the new icons for folders, Windows Explorer, etc, but at least I recognize what they are now. Movie Maker & DVD Maker are nice inclusions and if I ever get a HDTV I can see myself using Media Center.

So in conclusion: if you have the machine to handle it, and are forced to use it (and subsequently get used to it), Vista is OK. :)
Quote:The UAC was CRAZY annoying
It's pretty easy to turn that off.

Quote:and if I ever get a HDTV I can see myself using Media Center.
Annoyingly, it doesn't come with Vista Business Edition.:(
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:It's a decently beefy laptop and as such can handle all the fancy visual stuff, but even still it feels a tad sluggish at times.
Yep. We can thank Micro$quish for maintaining Wirth's law.. :P

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote: Remember those awful Microsoft ads with Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates? Well, now you can forget them. Microsoft flacks are desperately dialing reporters to spin them about "phase two" of the ad campaign — a phase, due to be announced tomorrow, which will drop the aging comic altogether. Microsoft's version of the story: Redmond had always planned to drop Seinfeld. The awkward reality: The ads only reminded us how out of touch with consumers Microsoft is — and that Bill Gates's company has millions of dollars to waste on hiring a has-been funnyman to keep him company. Update: In a phone call, Waggener Edstrom flack Frank Shaw confirms that Microsoft is not going on with Seinfeld, and echoes his underlings' spin that the move was planned. There is the "potential to do other things" with Seinfeld, which Shaw says is still "possible." He adds: "People would have been happier if everyone loved the ads, but this was not unexpected."
http://valleywag.com/5051455/microsoft-to-...celled-tomorrow
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]