Longtime Firefox user. I hate it now.
Does anyone else absolutely hate the direction Firefox has headed? I've been a die-hard user going back to when it was called Phoenix. I always loved how easily configurable it has always been. The latest update changed all that. It's now a horrid mess. The URL bar is twenty miles wide and takes up a whole row. The back button has been detached from the home/reload buttons. I used to be able to move every element to where I wanted them to be, but the latest version limits these options for some stupid reason.

I used to be able to have the menu bar, navigation buttons, URL bar, and search field all on the same line - with bookmarks and tabs just below that for a super-compact interface. It's just not possible now, and it annoys me.

Posting this from Chrome.
Browsers seem to be taking a turn for the worse. I'm running an old, unsupported version of Opera, as in the latest versions, they've taken away all the good features and left just another chrome clone.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(05-19-2014, 03:03 AM)DeeBye Wrote: Does anyone else absolutely hate the direction Firefox has headed?

Yes.

(05-19-2014, 03:03 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I used to be able to have the menu bar, navigation buttons, URL bar, and search field all on the same line - with bookmarks and tabs just below that for a super-compact interface. It's just not possible now, and it annoys me.

The mess confused me when it first loaded v29 (from v26). I figured out how to get to the customization they left in, but that still didn't get me where I wanted to be, especially the URL bar and the location of the tabs. I googled the issue and found an uproar over the mess they were making of it, but also found an extension called Classic Theme Restorer. It gives back movement of some of the items they locked down. I got my tabs back to sitting on each site window. I hid a bar right above them that could hold favorites and bookmarks, but I actually have all my bookmarks in a sidebar. I tested to be sure and I can have a search box next to the URL but, again, searches are in my sidebar. Anyway, with some fiddling of positions, mine is about 95% of what it had been:

[Image: firefox.jpg]
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Firefox was one of the few browsers that wasn't completely terrible. It was never that good, but compared to IE, it was great.

Sadly, it seems like every browser wants to be a wannabe chrome, and guess what happened? I switched to Chrome. I was sick of being in a rush and needed quick web access, then Firefox demanded it be updated or some other crap nobody cares about, not to mention the rapid release format which is probaly one of the most pathetic attempts at feigning extra development, as if its users were morons and easily impressed by big numbers. Extensions would always get broken because of this and that defeated the saving grace of the browser. And it's been increasingly slow because of the bloat, and don't tell me anything about too many extensions, since this has happened on fresh installs across many systems.

Added to the long time arrogance of its developers and fanboys (We decide what's good for you), we get the trump card of a customizable browser tossed away for no real reason. I'm glad to leave that bloated piece of crap behind. I now recommend Chrome, a pretty bad browser because nobody at Google knows the difference between a good interface and their ass aside from their original search engine (just look at the mess Youtube is now), but still not as horrific. The Firefox I knew is dead.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(05-19-2014, 11:47 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Firefox was one of the few browsers that wasn't completely terrible. It was never that good, but compared to IE, it was great.

Sadly, it seems like every browser wants to be a wannabe chrome, and guess what happened? I switched to Chrome. I was sick of being in a rush and needed quick web access, then Firefox demanded it be updated or some other crap nobody cares about, not to mention the rapid release format which is probaly one of the most pathetic attempts at feigning extra development, as if its users were morons and easily impressed by big numbers. Extensions would always get broken because of this and that defeated the saving grace of the browser. And it's been increasingly slow because of the bloat, and don't tell me anything about too many extensions, since this has happened on fresh installs across many systems.

I was a fairly late adopter of FireFox, but I was a fan of it due to it's speed. Past tense.

The last release before this Chrome Clone look was IMO pretty bad, I was noticing more bloat and sluggishness.

It seems a bit better, but yeah, it might as well just say '...people, just use Chrome okthnxbai.'

Quote: I now recommend Chrome, a pretty bad browser because nobody at Google knows the difference between a good interface and their ass aside from their original search engine (just look at the mess Youtube is now), but still not as horrific. The Firefox I knew is dead.

Yep. Chrome is not that bad, but not really that great either IMO. But with the current level of competition, sorta makes it a winner by default.

And IE is great! I used it to download Firefox and Chrome so...Tongue
There's a whole bunch of features in Firefox that I really can't do without (Sync with my mobile phone browser, being able to save images to different folders depending on the website, and the massively-useful-despite-how-much-of-a-horrid-security-risk-it-is ability to view saved passwords for a domain) that means I'll probably be stuck with it unless... well, I doubt Chrome will ever adopt the latter two features. Yes, I'm aware that Chrome also has sync, but it doesn't work as well as Firefox's.

I've always disliked Chrome; disliked the UI, disliked the lack of customisation and features, disliked how awfully optimised it is with regards to multiple tabs. As awful as Firefox is right now, it still does a lot more than Chrome for my needs.

But I can't stress how much of a mess Firefox 29 is. I honestly really can't wait for the touchscreen and mobile markets to crash just so we can go back to functional user interfaces without turning menus into ugly icon panels and labelling the whole thing as a trendy "app launcher".

I spent a little time and effort rolling back my install to 28 not long after I noticed a bug that made every possible icon that could appear in the address bar actually appear in the address bar. Rolled it back and made damn sure I disabled the "search for new updates" option on all my devices. 28 works just fine for me.

Firefox 30 better forget Chrome exists and that I'm running a machine that has a mouse and a physical keyboard before I even think of upgrading to it.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Don't really care for any of the current browsers myself, but FireFox is what I use. Safari used to be my preference but now its just so slow, convoluted and filled with bugs and glitches. Chrome is a bit better but I don't like the interface at all. FireFox is starting to become pretty convoluted, but for what is currently available it seems best for my purposes. I don't know why any of them can't just give us a simple, lightweight browser with a user friendly interface. It's like there is too many bells and whistles on all of them now. Maybe I should make my own browser and call it "Red" Tongue
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Google wants to read our emails and save and sell our search engine activity. I would rather they don't have all the browser activity as well. So, I avoid Gmail and Chrome. I'd like to avoid the Google search engine too, but Duck Duck Go just isn't good enough.

Once I got used to the new interface, I found that Firefox 29 isn't so bad. I started back in the day with Mozilla Suite, and I can't see myself switching from it now.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]