Maleficent
If you have not seen this yet, you should ASAP.

Outstanding movie. Plenty of philosophical and political overtones, but Angelina Jolie's incarnation of a classic villian was brilliantly done and really threw me for a loop. Great effects as well.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Admittedly, you see everything in philosophical and political overtones. But movie critics seem to generally disagree with you on the movie's quality. Was Angelina Jolie keeping a turd afloat or was it more than just her performance you liked? The general take the critics had seems to be that Jolie was carrying the unfortunately poor movie.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Well, I would take what Rotten Tomatoes says with a grain of salt. After all, they have Godzilla rated higher than Maleficent, and as someone who has seen both, I can say Maleficent is definitely the better of the two films. Also, if you look at what the fans/audience are saying compared to the critics, you will see that they are more in agreement with me.

It is true that Jolie's performance outshined everyone else's, and that is was probably the strongest aspect of the movie. That doesn't make the rest of the movie bad, it just means that she did that good of a job. But I think this was kind of the point anyways - the original movies story was told more from the point of the hero/protagonist, this one was told from the 'villians' perspective.

A good way to measure a movies quality is to ask yourself the following two questions after watching it: "Was I entertained or moved by it?", and, "Would I willingly watch this again?"....for me the answer was a resounding yes for both questions for Maleficent.

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(06-02-2014, 05:23 PM)Bolty Wrote: Admittedly, you see everything in philosophical and political overtones.

Evidently the politicking and philosophizing in Malfiddycent puts the politics and philosophies of Godzilla to shame.

I've not seen either film, but the idea that del Toro is on board to do a Pacific Rim crossover with Godzilla means possibly seeing Walter White in a giant mech shouting "I AM THE DANGER!" while punching out Godzilla. He'd punch out dragon-form Jolie too, but she'd be too busy trying to adopt all of Snow White's dwarves to fight.

I bet Jesse Pinkman's regretting signing on for lame-ass Need for Speed after realizing the only crossover opportunities he'll have are in "Gotta Go Fast & Furryous" Sonic fanfic.
Thanks for the heads up FIT, twas indeed an excellent movie. Seems as if the critics were looking for something a bit more dramatic, ala Lotr, and less Disney. It was just what I expected from a Disney flick, but had a great depth of story *with* the character development, although the story itself was a tad bit bland, but to be honest, you wouldn't even notice that because its the characters you're observing change, and that is the real story. Somehow, the critics lost that... which is why I never trust a critic; they are entirely too jaded to be trusted. Take a chance, watch it. If you have children, especially young impressionable girls, they will LOVE it!

One trend I've noticed with Disney lately is its adaptability to the times with "true love" representing not the standard cliche, but something deeper... can't say to much without giving away spoilers. Anyway, Frozen is a good example of the "true love" turned on it's head, and the weekly series Once Upon a Time is great at getting into the classic villains head, and discovering the reasoning for their ire, and changing that into something memorable. I actually applaud the changes Disney has made, and kept with its stalwart image somehow in the process showing adaptability to the current times. I can't wait for Episode 7... if you know what I mean?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Glad you enjoyed it man. I'm not even that big of a Disney person by any means but this movie was pretty stellar overall. I went into it with pretty mild expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It was certainly the best of the Disney "remakes" that they started in 2010 with Alice In Wonderland (with Johnny Depp), and a nice rebound after the somewhat mediocre Snow White and the Huntsman.

It seems there are more Disney turned into live action films coming - "The Glass Slipper" is slated for 2015, based on Cinderella. I think they are also working on Pete's Dragon, as well as "The Beast" (based on Beauty & the Beast of course).

I figured posting this here was simpler than making another topic, but last night I finally went and saw Edge of Tomorrow. I was a bit apprehensive since I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan, but the movie is actually good. Kind of reminded me of a Groundhog Day meets Battle LA meets Aliens. Has a pretty creative plot (though more back story might have been nice) with plenty of action and just enough humor, in some ways its as bizarre and out there as The Inception was, though that movie had a bit more depth to it imo. If you want a good action/sci-fi flick with a different plot and some dark humor twisted in, go see it.

My wife liked it.

Haven't seen it. Been working a lot, movies are way down on the list.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete