It looks like Europe is going smash-smashy with particles
So, they finally got their big ring up and running. I found the suits filed against CERN to be interesting. Something tells me that in the U.S. such suits had the backing of fundamentalist evangelicals who don't want discoveries made. After all, where does it leave god if mankind can explain things by itself? More importantly, where does it leave the minister's BMW, Mercedes, Bentley, or RR?:P (and yes, I've gotten used to seeing ministers driving BMW's, Jaguars, Lincolns, Lexi, etc.)

I also find some of the arguments against the collider interesting. One would think that if the fundamentalist evangelicals were so certain that on death they had a 1 way ticket to St. Pete, they wouldn't be concerned with the microscopically tiny potential for the collider generating a black hole? Think about it, that's an early ticket to heaven.

Also, if they really believed in the teachings of the bible, they wouldn't worry about a potential black hole sucking the Earth into itself. Why? Because revelation tells them exactly how the Earth will end. Therefore, under biblical doctrine, it would be impossible for the Earth to be sucked into a black hole, because such an end is incompatible with the teachings of the bible.

I really wish the religious right would keep its hand out of progress. If they want to go live under a rock, hide from advancements, and revert back to the Middle Ages, then fine. I just demand the right to stay outside of the mess:)
I recognize the fact of a large anti-religion bias on the Lurker boards and propensity to tar an entire religion with ambiguous labels or the picture of greedy Rolls Royce driving leadership, but is there anything to discuss here? An article tying the evil red-neck Church leaders to the lawsuits (which seem to come from a German Scientist and his colleagues, on the surface)? Something?
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Hi,

Quote:. . . but is there anything to discuss here?
No.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Really, we shouldn't be worried. Gordon's got our back:

[Image: lhcgordanfreemantv7.jpg]

Edit: And it seems he now has his crowbar. Crisis averted, people.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Actually we should be very worried, that guy looks like my Mom's cousin Timmy :P
'Me not that kind of Orc' - lazy peon
Quote:Really, we shouldn't be worried. Gordon's got our back:

Shouldn't be worried?! Are you kidding?!

Remember what happened the last time Gordon flipped a switch in a research facility?
The error occurred on line -1.
Quote:Actually we should be very worried, that guy looks like my Mom's cousin Timmy :P

Timmy?
Quote:I recognize the fact of a large anti-religion bias on the Lurker boards and propensity to tar an entire religion with ambiguous labels or the picture of greedy Rolls Royce driving leadership, but is there anything to discuss here? An article tying the evil red-neck Church leaders to the lawsuits (which seem to come from a German Scientist and his colleagues, on the surface)? Something?

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that there is an anti-religion crowd on the lounge. There are many posters, including some of the most prolific, who are very religious, and vocally so.

And, in answer to your question, Pete seems to have it covered.

-Jester
So I got this e-mail from my brother today.

Quote:So, the LHC at CERN, over in Switzerland, went on-line today and, to
my knowledge, there's been no massive black hole that has sucked us
all out of existence. On the contrary, I seem to be fully alive and
functional, to a point that I managed to come across this awesome
little video about the LHC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

I just had to share.

And I figured I had to share it with you folks too.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Hi,

Quote:So I got this e-mail from my brother today.
And I figured I had to share it with you folks too.
And finally, after all these years, some rap that ain't crap;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Today wasn't full functionality. There were just doing a test run to see if a particle will actually do a circut. I think Oct 12 is the new 6/6/06
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that there is an anti-religion crowd on the lounge. There are many posters, including some of the most prolific, who are very religious, and vocally so.
Got any names, or are these figments of your imagination?
Quote: And, in answer to your question, Pete seems to have it covered.
Yep.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Got any names, or are these figments of your imagination?

Kandrathe? Ghostiger? Doc? MEAT? Nystul?

-Jester
Quote:Kandrathe? Ghostiger? Doc? MEAT? Nystul?

-Jester

ps lets finish this thread or we will enter 'hot button' terrain, although Bolty seems to be mild usually......and the discussions where nobody will change his mind are usually the longest.
Quote:Doc?

I've been meaning to ask for a while... is Doc still alive?? When was his last post? (edit: Sept. 8, 2007)

The last time I remember reading him, I made some poke about him, all in good fun of course. I'm sure it's just my egovanity making me think that maybe I pissed him off so much he never posted again.

-V

Reconstruction Architect
<span style="color:#FF6600">The Forsaken Inn
"Grease Fire? What Grease Fire?"
Quote:I've been meaning to ask for a while... is Doc still alive?? When was his last post? (edit: Sept. 8, 2007)

The last time I remember reading him, I made some poke about him, all in good fun of course. I'm sure it's just my egovanity making me think that maybe I pissed him off so much he never posted again.

-V

Reconstruction Architect

FWIW, my recollection of Doc is that he enjoyed a good argument more than most of us. :lol: I certainly had a few go-rounds with him. So you are not allowed to blame yourself for his absence.

His health was precarious, though. Sheer grit kept him going, methinks. Let's hope he is still kicking figurative butt somewhere, if not here. :unsure:
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Quote:I've been meaning to ask for a while... is Doc still alive?? When was his last post? (edit: Sept. 8, 2007)

-V

Reconstruction Architect
I spoke with him slightly more recently than that, in a Dibalo II ladder game, which he left in a huff after I noted that I was not interested in anal worriation over whether or not Blessed Aim Mercs interrupt certain skills due to a next delay. I think my remark to him was "I don't care, play the bloody game or don't."

Have not seen evidence of him since.

Hope he's OK.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Have not seen evidence of him since.
ah well - what a maroon.
Quote:So, they finally got their big ring up and running. I found the suits filed against CERN to be interesting. Something tells me that in the U.S. such suits had the backing of fundamentalist evangelicals who don't want discoveries made. After all, where does it leave god if mankind can explain things by itself? More importantly, where does it leave the minister's BMW, Mercedes, Bentley, or RR?:P (and yes, I've gotten used to seeing ministers driving BMW's, Jaguars, Lincolns, Lexi, etc.)

I also find some of the arguments against the collider interesting. One would think that if the fundamentalist evangelicals were so certain that on death they had a 1 way ticket to St. Pete, they wouldn't be concerned with the microscopically tiny potential for the collider generating a black hole? Think about it, that's an early ticket to heaven.

Also, if they really believed in the teachings of the bible, they wouldn't worry about a potential black hole sucking the Earth into itself. Why? Because revelation tells them exactly how the Earth will end. Therefore, under biblical doctrine, it would be impossible for the Earth to be sucked into a black hole, because such an end is incompatible with the teachings of the bible.

I really wish the religious right would keep its hand out of progress. If they want to go live under a rock, hide from advancements, and revert back to the Middle Ages, then fine. I just demand the right to stay outside of the mess:)

Well, so far they've been wrong... so who cares? Religion has had its fair share of science stoppages to be sure, however I have also been reading recently about people throughout history attributing healing herbs and natural bodily regeneration to "magic" in most cases, or "miracles" in rare circumstances. How ironic is it that throughout history, religion has always had a negative view of "magic", which is essentially science.

If your purpose is to tout, "what good is religion for anyways?" then I suppose you picked a good topic to lay it on Tris. I for one feel that religion serves its purpose in comfort to those searching for answers, if nothing else. There are many different flavors to pick.

Someone in this thread mentioned myself as a more "anti-religious" poster. I for one became disenchanted with the whole Christian doctrine after reading historical proof of how it became put together, but I really, really, really don't want to get into that here! Basically my beliefs fall somewhere between Buddhism and my understanding of the religious teachings of the five major religions, and my own opinions. As for subject matter relating to biblical text, I won't go into that here, however I'd like to share some of my own personal musings: Of my own opinions, I feel I've heard enough "evidence" of aliens for them to be real (from Peter Jennings account, to generals on their death beds, etc.). If they are in fact real, I honestly don't see them sharing the same god we do, nor do I envision entering heaven with a bunch of alien souls cohabiting it as well. Also of my own opinions, I feel the negative energy people who do things they feel are immoral actually physically weight something, thus if you are "bad", you will in fact go down when you die, hence the burning lake of fire, abyss or purgatory while waiting to enter heaven, or white light and flying about in heaven if you go up. This would make the sentience of the entity known as god very centralized to our Earth alone.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin