Video-game pioneer dies
Quote:Ralph Baer never meant to start a multibillion-dollar industry. He was just trying to get an idea out of his head and into the real world.

That idea, which went on to become the Magnavox Odyssey, served as a launching pad for game-makers, though—and virtually every developer and publisher today points to it as the moment the industry was born. Today, that industry is mourning the passing of Baer, who died at his New Hampshire home Saturday night at the age of 92.

Full Story here
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Ah, well, if only we all had such a long life full of accomplishments, fame, and wealth. Death is inevitable, so I'd rather we celebrate perhaps an example of one way to live well.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I had never even heard of the Magnavox Odyssey.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(12-11-2014, 02:28 AM)Alram Wrote: I had never even heard of the Magnavox Odyssey.

First time I heard of it was when AVGN reviewed it. It's funny because I want to lump this in with the "Pong clones" but the fact of matter is, Pong itself was inspired by the Odyssey.

Pretty cool effort at a TV game though with overlays to slap on the TV screen and board game like extra materials to keep track of different rules for different games. I suppose Pong was addition by subtraction, picking one of the best ways to make a fun game out of a few moving squares and making it work a little better.
(12-11-2014, 02:28 AM)Alram Wrote: I had never even heard of the Magnavox Odyssey.

[rocf] Spent many hours playing on the brand new one my friend got for Christmas many years ago.[/rocf]

*rocf = raises old codger flag Tongue
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
When I was a child, I had a video game console so obscure it only has a single-sentence wikipedia stub.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leisure_Vision