Eve: Valkyrie
From the creators of EvE Online comes a separate game in the same universe, played on a VR helmet:

As an avid Wing Commander, Privateer, and Freespace fan,

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

I think VR headsets, once done correctly, will be the future of video games - at least until neural receptors are developed. Hard to say because one of the main inhibitors of 3d TV has always been that people don't want to wear the glasses, and I imagine people won't want to look goofy wearing VR helmets.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
I honestly can't wait for the official version of the Oculus Rift to come out, not a dev kit version. I'm so excited for it, it's sickening.

In regards to your fears of people looking goofy, I feel those days have passed us as most social interaction takes place over social media nowadays, and the average gamer plays in their own rooms via internet. Long gone are the days I was born into, when people played LAN-style four-player N64, or setup several computers in a room to play Doom II... and long-dead are the internet cafe's - at least in America. I don't see anything standing in the way of VR tech for this generation.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(03-20-2015, 08:45 PM)Bolty Wrote: From the creators of EvE Online comes a separate game in the same universe, played on a VR helmet:

As an avid Wing Commander, Privateer, and Freespace fan,

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

I think VR headsets, once done correctly, will be the future of video games - at least until neural receptors are developed. Hard to say because one of the main inhibitors of 3d TV has always been that people don't want to wear the glasses, and I imagine people won't want to look goofy wearing VR helmets.

You do know that Chris Roberts is working on a new Wing Commander/Privateer style universe game right?

Star Citzen (MP) and Squadron 42(SP)
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
I realized something as I thought about the virtual reality tech. It's actually been a long time since I've gotten into a game with first person perspective. Or for that matter, even the over the shoulder camera style. In the last year I've mostly played... well, strategy games. And sprite based stuff like Terraria and Rogue Legacy. Visual immersion has been about the lowest priority, and my cynicism towards AAA developers grows every year.

I guess that's why I haven't built a new system in 7 years, and why I'm not excited about dropping money on a VR headset. For me it is just so 20 years ago.
(03-20-2015, 08:45 PM)Bolty Wrote: From the creators of EvE Online comes a separate game in the same universe, played on a VR helmet:

EVE: Valkyrie
So many neat ways immersive 3D gaming could manifest, and being inside the driver's seat of a killer space machine is certainly one of them. I wonder, though, as gamers who are used to moving in the direction we look, will it be terribly disorientating for awhile when that changes in these 3D games and the direction we're looking becomes separated from movement control? I found that bothering me just watching this video, but that's from many years of playing the other way.

Speaking of Freespace and classic old games, some of the guys behind Descent started a Kickstarter awhile ago for Descent: Underground, but I saw too much talking about new features like 10+ ships and digging tunnels to be convinced they're concerned enough with recreating what made the original games so great. I'd love to be proven wrong but I left with the impression they wanted to make something similar but new hiding behind the Descent name.

(03-20-2015, 08:45 PM)Bolty Wrote: I imagine people won't want to look goofy wearing VR helmets.
I don't know, they did get people to wear Google Glass... heheh!

(03-21-2015, 02:02 AM)Taem Wrote: ... or setup several computers in a room to play Doom II...
Now that brings me back. That, and Warcraft II. That moment when you heard this music start. Smile

(03-23-2015, 12:51 AM)Nystul Wrote: ... my cynicism towards AAA developers grows every year.
Yep. I think around mid-2000 the gaming industry almost completely began steering away from creating the types of games I enjoyed towards a slog of rushed, low-quality products with little to no replay value. I recently compiled a list of release dates of games from my PC library and found that around 85% of the nearly 90 games I own came out before 2005. And most of the newer ones I have I play less than older ones.

For awhile I tried to dismiss it as simple nostalgia, or becoming older and less excitable, but occasionally I still find an old PC gem or a recent small studio game that I missed on release, play it, and find myself hooked on a new game once again. So I'm pretty sure it is just that most new games are lacking an element of greatness. And that's putting it nicely, in some cases.
For what it's worth, I've recently been sucked into Elite: Dangerous for all my space needs. It's a broader game than all the space sims listed in this thread so far; trading, exploring, and mining are all valid career choices as is bounty hunting.

And yes, it does support Oculus Rift.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386