Holy crap! The Google Chrome web browser is FAST
http://www.google.com/chrome

I just installed this a few minutes ago and I am amazed at how fast it is. I'm definitely going to be playing around with it over the next little bit to see if it might replace Firefox, but these early first impressions are outstanding.
Quote:http://www.google.com/chrome

I just installed this a few minutes ago and I am amazed at how fast it is. I'm definitely going to be playing around with it over the next little bit to see if it might replace Firefox, but these early first impressions are outstanding.

I have been using it for a couple of days now. I like it, and it is fast.

One thing it does not do, that I did heavily in firefox, is allow you to tab (using the tab key) through the list of potential URL's that shows up as you type part of a URL or search term in the Address Bar.

For example, in Firefox if I want to visit the lurker lounge, I hit Ctrl-L to put my cursor in the address bar, type "lurk", hit tab down to the forum link for the Lurker Lounge, hit Ctrl-Enter and a new tab opens.

In Chrome, I can hit Ctrl-L, type "Lurk", see the Lurker Lounge link a few down, but when I hit tab it switches my focus out of the Address Bar.

It also isn't quite as smart as Firefox on sensing what URL I might be going for when I type a word in the Address Bar. Firefox, with 3.0, picks up on what you type even if what you type is a portion of a URL that is near the end.

For example, my guild's raid sign-up page, that I manage, has a URL of http://www.keepersofthedusk.com/signup. In Firefox 3 I can just type "sign" in the address bar, and since that page is visited often, the sign-up page is the first link suggested and I can hit tab+enter to hit it.

In Chrome, it just doesn't pick up on my frequently used link when I do that. It only does so if I type the first word of the URL, such as "keeper".

If they improved this a bit, to at least match Firefox's capabilities, I am confident I'd consider switching long term.
Jormuttar is Soo Fat...
Just downloaded and I've got to admit, it works very well. My only problem is that it has some kind of problem with scrolling up via the mousewheel. Scrolls down and scrolls fine in the options/internal menus, but webpages won't scroll up. Any suggestions?
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Why, why do newfangled web browsers with all their security options and features and speed and awesomeness refuse to give me an address bar drop down menu which saves the URLs I type in, so that I don't have to remember to bookmark everything I want to see again without searching through pages of history files or remembering the url? The new version of firefox went and messed that up too.

Also, when I tried Chrome, my CPU went crazy the whole time it was open. I have no idea why. I just have terrible luck with these things.
Quote:The new version of firefox went and messed that up too.
Mainly because they altered the way it works.

Whereas the classic approach to inline autocomplete was, if you started typing a word, it would suggest URLs with the term you've entered as close to the start as possible; example, if you start typing "lurk" into the address bar, then it would look for URLs starting with "lurk": "lurkerlounge.com", etc.

Firefox 3, on the other hand, decided to do two things to change this. The first is that it's inline autocomplete checks the entirity of the URL, not just the logical progression. So in short, if you have any URLs in your browsing history with the word "lurk" anywhere in them, then those will get suggested too; often at the expense of URLs that start with "lurk".

Not content with how badly they screwed that up, they threw in the option that the address bar will also search page titles as well, and placing higher priority on these results than inline URL results. So, say, you've visited this forum every day of your life (No reason why not), but then follow this link (Rickets and Vitamin D Deficiency May Lurk in Breastfed Babies - NYTimes.com), which does not feature the word "lurk" in the URL at all but features in the page title, that result will leap to the top of the search possibilities every time, until it passes from your search history like an unwanted kidney stone.

Right now, this is about the only thing I'd like to change with FF3, purely because it's idiotic and counter-intuitive (When I'm looking for a URL, I can't remember the contents of the page title, but I do remember snippets of the URL). Another thing that grated was the appearance of the URL dropdown, which displayed the page title in big letters and the URL underneath almost as an afterthought. That was fixed quickly enough (On FF3 launch date, no less) with OldBar, which switches the AwesomeBar (It's not guys, seriously) with a dropdown that's just like it used to be, but still retains the quirky search system. Old Location Bar looks like it could fix both of these problems, so I'm waiting for that.

But anyway, this thread isn't about grievances with Firefox, it's about Chrome. I can't see me switching to Chrome in the interim for three reasons:

1) It's new. Seriously, when it comes to web browsers it never really pays to make a switch-to until it's been given a thorough testing, especially since a pretty nasty security flaw was identified on day one. There's also a serious amount of complaints about lagging keystrokes (Which was a feature of the first Firefox build I tried and was an instant turn-off) and scrolling up.
2) No Adblock. I'm not against ads in the most part, providing they don't lag too badly. On the other hand, one type of ad I hate are embedded pop-ups on the page, often Flash, and often with the "close" button in some really obscure place that prevents you from interacting with the page in any way until you rummage around for the X that kills the ad or click on the ad itself. Annoying, annoying, annoying. Since installing Adblock, I've seen practically none of these on the sites (usually gaming ones) that throws these at you. It doesn't matter how fast a webpage loads under Chrome, unless they can guarantee that these types of ads are blocked (And that may never happen, since Google make most of it's revenue through various advertising schemes), I won't switch.
3) The look: No title bar? No menu bar? For some reason these things irk me.

Oh, and just in case I didn't use the word "lurk" enough to break some kind of record: Lurk, lurk, lurk, lurk, lurkity, lurking lurk. Lurkers.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Mainly because they altered the way it works.

I love my new bar in FF3, don't you dare change a thing! There was a blog I was reading earlier in the year. Couldn't remember the parent site at all. The url? Never even looked at it. The name of the blog? "The Field". I could actually find the site again in FF3.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:I love my new bar in FF3, don't you dare change a thing! There was a blog I was reading earlier in the year. Couldn't remember the parent site at all. The url? Never even looked at it. The name of the blog? "The Field". I could actually find the site again in FF3.
Granted, that's the one time when the address bar's odd functionality is useful. It can be used to hunt down that erstwhile webpage that you visited, say, last week and never bothered to bookmark.

However, that still doesn't make it any better. If I'm typing into the address bar, 95% of the time I'm entering a URL, so that's what I'd rather it suggest. For the other 5% of the time, why not put a seperate bar? Maybe incorporate it into the Search Bar instead? "Search my Browsing History", yeah...
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Just downloaded and I've got to admit, it works very well. My only problem is that it has some kind of problem with scrolling up via the mousewheel. Scrolls down and scrolls fine in the options/internal menus, but webpages won't scroll up. Any suggestions?
I have this same issue with anything that seems to relate to java on the page. It seems to just stall on it.
I like being able to change themes easily. I prefer black. There are a few more out there, with many more to come I would imagine. It is most definitely quicker than IE 7.
Quote:It is most definitely quicker than IE 7.
I think I can render HTML in my head faster than IE.;)

It's nice to see some extra competition in the browsersphere, but I've still yet to see anything that makes me want to change from Opera, which is noticably faster than Chrome.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields