About to format my computer; need to find my Hellfire multiplayer characters.
Heya all. I'm going to be upgrading my computer soon and want to make sure my characters are archived accordingly. However I cannot locate them. I can find my Single-player characters, but not the MP ones. According to the 102 patch text, it says Multiplayer Savegames are now saved in a computer independent way, and can therefore be moved from computer to computer as with Singleplayer savegames, they are still saved in the C:\windows\system folder as hidden files named hrinfo_#.drv

However enabling hidden folders and looking in the system folder I do not see anything in there. What have I done wrong?
Did you make any change to your computer name? I recall that for Diablo (versions 1.07 and earlier) and Hellfire (Diablo 1.04 engine), if there was a change in the computer name multiplayer characters could not be accessed. My Hellfire multiplayer characters can be seen in my C:\windows folder. They are not in the C:/windows/system subfolder. You may want to try just scrolling through your C:\Windows folder. Come to think of it, any change in the computer name would be irrelevant to whether you could actually see the characters in the folder, but would keep you from accessing them when you launch the game.
I'm afraid that even checking the C:\windows didn't help. I even did a search of the entire C drive, looking for this elusive hrinfo file. Since the patch102 notes are incorrect about where the save files are located, is there any chance that they could have the wrong name for the save files too?
A question better asked Belix. however, my Hellfire 102 characters have the names as indicated. Do you have any problems creating a Hellfire MP character? I have read that you have to run the game as administrator on Windows 7 or above to do that.
I have not had any issues creating any. I have a Bard and Barbarian in their upper 20's and a Rogue in her teens. I was VERY lucky with some loot drops and I do not want to repeat the item-grind for these. Are you on Windows 7, per chance? According to my PC searches, my computer is unable to locate any file even close to the hrinfo files. I CAN find my Hellfire SP characters just fine.
The computer on which Hellfire is installed for me is running XP. I have it set to show hidden files.
It could be that 7 has them somewhere else. I did double-check and I can verify that my hidden files are showing.
I doubt this will reveal anything, but perhaps you could run msconfig (or its Windows 7 equivalent) and type %appdata% and see if they show up in one of the folders generated. Otherwise, color me mystified.
Found it. The culprit is that Windows (at least 7) considers the hr files critical to protect. I had to enable the 2nd layer of "show hidden folders" called "hide protected operating system files". Once I unchecked that box, my magical hr files appeared. Huzzah's are in order! 7 also places them directly into the Windows folder itself, just as you suggested. Thanks so much for that!
XP has that same box which I do not have checked. Glad you found the problem.