The real looming threat to net neutrality
(04-25-2017, 07:25 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Plucky cable billionaires defeat menace of small-town broadband
Unfortunately, the large telecoms are attempting to get legislation passed in an increasing number of states.

Here are a few articles relevant to the topic.
This one includes testimony before congress that gives a pretty good picture of the industry and the policy environment.
Congressional testimony

These 2 articles explain how open access provides a superior alternative to the monopolies of large telecoms.

What is an Open Access Network?

Open Access + Muni Ownership = Scalable Smart City Infrastructure
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(05-01-2017, 05:29 AM)Alram Wrote:
(04-25-2017, 07:25 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Plucky cable billionaires defeat menace of small-town broadband
Unfortunately, the large telecoms are attempting to get legislation passed in an increasing number of states.

Here are a few articles relevant to the topic.
This one includes testimony before congress that gives a pretty good picture of the industry and the policy environment.
Congressional testimony

These 2 articles explain how open access provides a superior alternative to the monopolies of large telecoms.

What is an Open Access Network?

Open Access + Muni Ownership = Scalable Smart City Infrastructure
I like the vision, but I see issues if you choose to live beyond the edge (e.g. red box) of a municipality.

There is great cost distribution if you can limit expensive infrastructure to within ~100 Km of fiber network center. Beyond ~125 Km you need to create repeater hubs. For a large dense municipality, this is probably less of an issue. For a very loosely distributed network the costs per residence grow quickly ( people per linear meter + central core network costs).

Guttenburg, NYC has a density of 56,012 people per mi^2 -- for comparison, the densest place in Wyoming is Jackson with 3,037 per mi^2 or over 18x less dense. I endorse the notion that municipalities should establish ownership, or perpetual licensing for rights of way for critical infrastructures (e.g. sewer, water, power, communications, roads). What we need for fair competition is to ensure municipalities (or states, counties -- Local Unit of Government LUG) to not act in the short sited interests of their constituents. Most LUG contract laws require cities to opt with lowest price within the specifications, rather than giving any discretion to speculation on future value. In other words, you would get the least functional network, rather than one that can expand easily over time.

Then, there is Cable's challenge to telcos in the business services sector. Interesting development since way back in 2006 when I negotiated the multi-state dedicated WAN contract with Time-Warner (now Level3) to amongst other things to VOIP connect our regional radio station affiliates, eliminate 90% of our long distance costs(now moot), and allow for robust content sharing.

Generally, I feel we need to go back to the mentality of,
Milton Friedman Wrote:“Government has three primary functions. It should provide for military defense of the nation. It should enforce contracts between individuals. It should protect citizens from crimes against {people} or their property. When government-- in pursuit of good intentions tries to rearrange the economy, legislate morality, or help special interests, the cost comes in inefficiency, lack of motivation, and loss of freedom. Government should be a referee, not an active player.”
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Here we can get high speed internet but it is $300 a month with a $500 installation fee.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(05-02-2017, 04:26 AM)LavCat Wrote: Here we can get high speed internet but it is $300 a month with a $500 installation fee.

Maybe we should deregulate cable systems like we did to railroads in the 1980's. That is, I would allow consumers to buy programming from ANY provider, and require the Cable operator to divide their programming delivery from their network infrastructure. Over time, create the mechanism to treat cable infrastructure, like roads (municipally owned) or like rails (shared and shipper neutral). So, even though MEDIA COMM owns my wires at the moment, I could instead buy COMCAST programming. New ventures would not be shut out of markets due to a lack of physical access. If XYZ Broadcasting wanted to buy the rights to broadcast Yankee baseball games, consumers could buy directly from XYZ and not have your local operators deny your access to external programming.

These maps show why internet is way more expensive in the US than Europe

[Image: attachment.php?aid=280]

We could get that last 30% if we cut the cost down to < $100 per month.

USPIRG Recommendation = THE FAILURE OF CABLE DEREGULATION -- Which I don't think will help btw.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

A letter from US TELECOM rural network providers to FCC Chair Ajit Pai.

John Oliver revives his signature fight — net neutrality — in an ingenious way.

Quote:"If you think, ‘Well, that’s just too complicated, I’m not doing it,’ don’t worry, because that’s why we bought the URL GoFCCYourself.com,” Oliver said.

Going to that Web address automatically redirects you to the FCC’s “Restoring Internet Freedom” page, where users can hit the “express” button and leave a comment."

so far... 140,074 results.

(05-08-2017, 08:28 PM)kandrathe Wrote: John Oliver revives his signature fight — net neutrality — in an ingenious way.

Quote:"If you think, ‘Well, that’s just too complicated, I’m not doing it,’ don’t worry, because that’s why we bought the URL GoFCCYourself.com,” Oliver said.

Going to that Web address automatically redirects you to the FCC’s “Restoring Internet Freedom” page, where users can hit the “express” button and leave a comment."

so far... 140,074 results.

Thanks, I left a comment. (I hold two FCC licenses...hope they don't decide to punish me.)
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
One solution to the difficulties of the provision of broadband/fiberoptic networks to rural communities is electric coops.
Quote:Typical co-ops already have the things they need to build a network: bucket trucks, expertise, rights of way, polls, customer relationships.
Cooperatives helped wire rural America for telephones and electricity. Why not do it for broadband, too?
Additionally Coops have the ability to get around the restrictive legislation existent in many states that prevents municipalities from setting up their own networks. And they can still use the open access model.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]