Duelyst
Hi guys, I've found a new game to play called Duelyst (www.duelyst.com). It's a combination of a traditional colletible card game and a strategy game like Heroes of Might & Magic (Many say it reminds them of past games like the Mega Man card game for Game Boy, or Yu Gi Oh on Playstation). Additionally, there are inevitiable (and unenviable) comparisons it to Hearthstone, which are fair in the sense that it's a free to play CCG, but that's pretty much where the comparison ends. The main reason the game falls short is due to Duelyst primarily being a strategical game with no major reliance on RNG for results. As a consequence, this will not appeal to the same wide audience that plays Hearthstone, I feel, but is far more suited to the type of player likely to be reading this rambling article of mine.

The 'gimic' of this game is that the combat takes place on a 9x5 board that gives tactical as well as strategical elements to the otherwise standard card play. As this type of gameplay hasn't been present recently, the opportunity for outplays and comebacks utilizing strategy abound and are great fun.

Additionally, the game offers bi-weekly balance passes (!) and the introduction of cards every month (a handful). If you played Hearthstone, you'll be glad to know that legendaries (the game has the same Common/Rare/Epic/Legendary tiers) are around five times as common, appearing approximately one per four packs. Also, the initial game experience (Tutorial, Practice, Unlocking and leveling all 6 factions to 10 to unlock their initial core cards) takes 10-12 hours and gives many, many free packs and starter items to set you up.

The game only has two modes once you've reached level 10 on all factions, ranked and arena (limited to Wed, Fri, Sat, & Sun). This has the effect of giving, even with a smallish player base, very, VERY fast queue times (typically around 0-7s) for all but the highest level of players. The average gametime is pretty faction dependent in my experience, but 5-25m matches, with the average being far closer to the 5m side of things.

It has adopted a high-rez 16-bit look, chic-retro perhaps:

This was taken from a practice game with my swarm deck:
[Image: MR5d2Yz.png]

Slightly later in the game, showing a 6/6 trading into and killing a 4/3:
[Image: blKaBcO.png]

Also worth noting the game has a robust replay system, wonderful for examining and learning from:

[Image: 1icfhmT.png]

From the screencaps, it reminded me, one other major change from previous CCG /HOMM titles is that your general has an attack stat. As such, he or she can be used for offense and is able to defend themselves against attacks.

If there is interest, I'd be willing to do a writeup regarding the 6 factions and the basics of their lore.

Cheers!
~Frag

P.S. This is not a paid advertising, and I can be found at "Frag" ingame.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
What are the basic rules for placement, movement, and attack. It seems to have some "chess" like qualities.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]