What's the oldest computer part/peripheral you still use?
I like to keep my gaming PC fairly up to date, but I only buy things like monitors/keyboards/speakers when I really need to - or when I see a very good price on a superior product.

I've not bought a new speaker system for my various computers in at least 12 years. I've been rockin' a Logitech X-530 5.1 set of speakers forever. I just don't see a need to replace them. I might eventually look for a good 3.1 speaker set (I don't really need surround sound and it's a pain to place the rear speakers), but I like the X-530's sound and have no urgent need to retire them.

The other thing I've carried from computer to computer over the years is this:
[Image: psFfqT3.jpg]

About 20 years ago my brother-in-law gave me this Wicket figurine as a present and I plopped it on my computer. I've always made it a point to keep him on whatever computer I currently own. I like to think of Wicket as my computer guardian.
I have those same speakers and have had them for...not even sure how long! Somewhere around 20 years as well. I don't plug in the back speakers and just use it as a 3.1 system.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Back when, I purchased a case (literally) of Compaq PS/2 keyboards without the hated Windows key. These Compaq keyboards make great gifts for gamers and are the oldest peripheral on my current WoW PC.

However I have more than one computer at my desk, including a dual Pentium III. It had not rebooted in months and months but we had a three and a half hour power failure the other day. None of my UPS's could cope.

Currently I have three PC's in use sporting the Compaq keyboards.

This past year I moved the Commodore 128 off my desk, taking it out of competition.

My computer speakers are Bose, fifteen or twenty years old. Next to the Compaq keyboards one of my finest computer related purchases.

Not sure if it counts, but the Bose are being driven by a Threshold FET ten/hl preamp circa 1987.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I have an old Altec surround sound set I've bequeathed to my sons array of consoles. I think I got it with a refurbished Dell back in the early 00's

[Image: P12268.jpg]

But, knowing Lavcat...

Lavcat wins!
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Smile 
In the spirit of the OP's question, my Beyerdynamic DT150 headphones are the oldest item i purchased at roughly 5 years.

I also have a Bose 321 system that is technically older(early 2000s), however, I added it 3 years ago.

DeeBye. I found alf when I was in 8th grade, nearly 20 years ago. He has been sitting on my desk(usually monitor stand) since i bought my first computer. Picture is not mine.
[Image: 4639008565_ba378a0898_b.jpg]
My oldest component still in use is the monitor I'm using right now to type this. I bought after moving to Maryland (Nov 2008) and it's an LCD 16:10 24" from Acer, so about 8 1/2 years old.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Without a doubt, the best purchase I ever made was for a Microsoft Office Windows Keyboard... and I still use it to this day. MS didn't bother updating the drivers for this, however there are AutoIt scripts that do the trick.

[Image: Microsoft_Office_Keyboard.jpg]
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-2...B000FI6R72 (Since 2008)

Everything else has come and gone, including the crappy computer I bought it with. The monitor still works great even if I'm thinking of an upgrade. I have limited space so this is pretty much the biggest monitor I can fit.

Though I admit to usually making bad choices when it comes to computers.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(04-14-2017, 07:08 AM)Taem Wrote: Without a doubt, the best purchase I ever made was for a Microsoft Office Windows Keyboard... and I still use it to this day. MS didn't bother updating the drivers for this, however there are AutoIt scripts that do the trick.

[Image: Microsoft_Office_Keyboard.jpg]

What is it? Oh... Pro-tip... {img=400x200}

And... while I am "chastising" you, in the most cordial way, I was struck by your signature quote. It seems so very unlike him to not be singing the brilliance and superiority of the German people. So I dug into it. I think this is one of those pseudo quotes that sound like some body should have said it. There is actually no source attributing that to a speech, or to anything in writing or in interviews with his associates.

If it's unsourced, assume that those are phoney quotes. If it's not in handwriting or speech recording, assume that there will be problems, too. There is a real inflation of "quotes" what Hitler did supposedly say.

[Image: Abraham-Lincoln-Internet-Quote.png]

Angel
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

It's not my picture. Google images search and found what I was looking for. I didn't actually know myBB boards could resize images.

(04-17-2017, 11:22 PM)kandrathe Wrote: And... while I am "chastising" you, in the most cordial way, I was struck by your signature quote. It seems so very unlike him to not be singing the brilliance and superiority of the German people. So I dug into it. I think this is one of those pseudo quotes that sound like some body should have said it. There is actually no source attributing that to a speech, or to anything in writing or in interviews with his associates.

If it's unsourced, assume that those are phoney quotes. If it's not in handwriting or speech recording, assume that there will be problems, too. There is a real inflation of "quotes" what Hitler did supposedly say.

I will take that under advisement however, it seems the jury is out on this one: Link . The most likely scenario is it's a fabrication with a slight chance of being quoted from a speech without citation due to lack of citations at the time. Ironically, due to the sheer volume of legitimate sources that have quoted and attributed this sentence to Hitler, it stands to reason that most people associate this quote to Adolf and without proof to the contrary, majority rules. Just because I say the color of the sun is fiery-red does not mean school text books will change it from its standard yellow. Anyway, I do not dismiss that fact that you may be completely correct on the quote being fabricated, however without proof to the contrary, I side with the majority on this one.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(04-20-2017, 07:50 AM)Taem Wrote: _I side with the majority on this one.
http://www.definitelyrealquotes.com/

The earliest reference is unsourced in a book, that became the source of the others. It matters little how many times a quote is misattributed, as Machiavelli, Abraham Lincoln, and Ben Franklin's ghosts know well.

1992 Earliest reference to this fake quote

If there is no source, there is no jury. We can't declare facts by popular acclaim.

http://www.onviolence.com/?e=801