Shocking new DNA study reveals that human beings are divided into two genders!
I suppose that depends entirely on how your perceived the video. The meaning was clear: we are all victims of our own creation.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I mean the video makes great points, but applying to this context is a bit disingenuous. Not everyone involved in this situation are people that identify as attack helicopters as some disingenuous people (not you) have tried to falsely correlate it. And that shits up the discussion because it's already coming from an agenda. With just as emotion. Let's put it this way, if one really didn't see it as a big deal, the urge to be so right and to demonize the other side , because one is so desperate to be right is highly emotional. Because I assure you, there are many of us on the fence like myself that see extremists on both sides making mountains out of molehills. It's not like the Right hasn't played victim before, they are in fact doing it right now, by coping the exact same tactics-- now they both look pathetic, but everyone thinks their shit smells like daisies.

Honestly, I don't think people have to accept anything. I don't think churches should have to do gay marriages, and I don't think I should be considered a bigot for not considering someone that wasn't born a female for a partner. In fact, I will never accept a transgender person the same way as someone that is cisgender. It's always going to be a different classification for me. However, the difference between me and various pundits, is that I don't carry much of the smug fucktardedness pundits carry.

So no, people can't impose those ideas on people. But if only that were it. It falsely assumes that every LBGT person is part of some homogeneous group that's trying to coerce people.

I mean if someone is left handed, and they ask for a left handed desk, it doesn't mean they're threatening right handed people. If someone was color blind and wanted stuff not in red and yellow as long as they aren't trying to take away your stuff, and just have options for both, that wouldn't be a problem. Except the assumption of the later is running wild.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
(05-17-2017, 06:35 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I mean the video makes great points, but applying to this context is a bit disingenuous. Not everyone involved in this situation are people that identify as attack helicopters as some disingenuous people (not you) have tried to falsely correlate it. And that shits up the discussion because it's already coming from an agenda. With just as emotion. Let's put it this way, if one really didn't see it as a big deal, the urge to be so right and to demonize the other side , because one is so desperate to be right is highly emotional. Because I assure you, there are many of us on the fence like myself that see extremists on both sides making mountains out of molehills. It's not like the Right hasn't played victim before, they are in fact doing it right now, by coping the exact same tactics-- now they both look pathetic, but everyone thinks their shit smells like daisies.

Honestly, I don't think people have to accept anything. I don't think churches should have to do gay marriages, and I don't think I should be considered a bigot for not considering someone that wasn't born a female for a partner. In fact, I will never accept a transgender person the same way as someone that is cisgender. It's always going to be a different classification for me. However, the difference between me and various pundits, is that I don't carry much of the smug fucktardedness pundits carry.

So no, people can't impose those ideas on people. But if only that were it. It falsely assumes that every LBGT person is part of some homogeneous group that's trying to coerce people.

I mean if someone is left handed, and they ask for a left handed desk, it doesn't mean they're threatening right handed people. If someone was color blind and wanted stuff not in red and yellow as long as they aren't trying to take away your stuff, and just have options for both, that wouldn't be a problem. Except the assumption of the later is running wild.
I saw that vid as pretty one sided, pointing at the ridiculousness of the extreme. If I had to deal with daily accusations of microaggressions, I'd just go off on some major macro aggression. As a proud barbarian, and like other Northern Europeans, I'm more Neandrathal than many of y'all. Blood lust is just an innate skill. You be you, and let me be me... Trying to be all civilized and all. Still, I like personal pronouns. I'm not ready to give them up yet. All I expect is we can talk it over, and I'll call you whatever you like, even princess everspring from Avalon should you so desire.

[Image: The-Making-of-Conan-the-Barbarian-The-Mu...icals..jpg]

Had that vid been a little more middle of the road, then maybe the message would be just about self inflicted victim hood. But, I know minority's who suffer direct prejudice and direct insult, so it's mostly not self inflicted. It is inflicted by insensitive or openly hostile persons who are grouped as "of the majority". But, maybe had the vid been about showing a little love to someone who is used to being kicked around by "society", then maybe we'd all heal some.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Well, that is the problem with dealing things wholesale. Minorities aren't a monolithic bunch so trying to apply a blanket label to it all is nonsensical, as in equating attack helicopter'ists with those with gender identity issues.

As for barbarians, I've definitely had too many (Been playing Civilization 4-6 as I bought 5 and 6 together on sale!) Civilized people fire nukes at each other.

Quote:But, maybe had the vid been about showing a little love to someone who is used to being kicked around by "society", then maybe we'd all heal some.

That's what I mean by co-opting victimhood. Essentially they're accusing people of playing the victim and end up doing the same thing. eg being forced to accept something.
(05-17-2017, 06:35 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I mean if someone is left handed, and they ask for a left handed desk, it doesn't mean they're threatening right handed people.

Interesting, then, that left-handed people have often been forced not only to make do with right-handed objects, but are sometimes forced as kids to learn tasks with their right hands. My dad still complains about how awful that was to endure.

The enforcement of social norms through discipline has consequences for people who don't fit those norms very well. Sometimes, that's just the price we pay for living in a society. (I don't want murderous people murdering, no matter how hard they find impulse control.) But mostly, we could just chill out, and let people be who they want to be, and we'd all be a lot happier for it.

-Jester
(05-18-2017, 11:50 AM)Jester Wrote:
(05-17-2017, 06:35 PM)Archon_Wing Wrote: I mean if someone is left handed, and they ask for a left handed desk, it doesn't mean they're threatening right handed people.

Interesting, then, that left-handed people have often been forced not only to make do with right-handed objects, but are sometimes forced as kids to learn tasks with their right hands. My dad still complains about how awful that was to endure.
I was always the Righty who got stuck with the Lefty scissors. It sort of ceases to be an issue once you can rely on your own resource. People in my family tended to be Bi-Handed, where we'd do different tasks with Left, or Right whichever worked best.

Quote:The enforcement of social norms through discipline has consequences for people who don't fit those norms very well. Sometimes, that's just the price we pay for living in a society. (I don't want murderous people murdering, no matter how hard they find impulse control.) But mostly, we could just chill out, and let people be who they want to be, and we'd all be a lot happier for it.
Murder is the extreme case, but say even with drugs...

I'm not in favor of imposing societal will in restricting adults from recreational drugs, including alcohol. I'm personally not in favor of them, and think people would be healthier without them. I don't think it is right to use the government to enforce these restrictions. Same with restricting sugar, or junk food, or pickled pigs feet. Not my thing, but who are we to stand between a person and their guilty pleasures?

We should as a society expect that people who do drug themselves into oblivion should not be operating dangerous equipment, or even strewn about the sidewalks, vomiting, i.e. public nuisance or committing crimes to get money to feed their addictions. If you've lost control of your ability to safely operate in the society, then it should be expected this same society will curtail your ability to cause harm. This correction should be dedicated toward rehabilitation.

Segue back to the topic at hand... If it isn't harming anyone else it is not a social issue up for debate. I am staunchly opposed to allowing the government any power over what adults do, say, wear, or who they associate with including marry (including how many and how often). We have too many really important problems to solve to worry about who is using which public toilet. Make all the toilets unisex. Problem solved.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(05-18-2017, 11:50 AM)Jester Wrote:

The enforcement of social norms through discipline has consequences for people who don't fit those norms very well. Sometimes, that's just the price we pay for living in a society. (I don't want murderous people murdering, no matter how hard they find impulse control.) But mostly, we could just chill out, and let people be who they want to be, and we'd all be a lot happier for it.

-Jester

Well, these victimization pundits would try to claim that left handed people are taking over the world and forcing everything to be left handed-centric, even if it were just a situational thing.

Standards do have their uses, but sometimes flexibility is a good idea if we think society will still work as such. Of course, stretching it too far makes it break. Of course, many will disagree on whether that point is.

It's also true that systematic persecution is still a thing with many severe effects; I do believe quite a few places still find it okay to execute people based on the orientation and downplaying these things tends to be a problem.

(05-18-2017, 04:17 PM)kandrathe Wrote: We have too many really important problems to solve.

And that's really it.
(05-18-2017, 04:17 PM)kandrathe Wrote: Make all the toilets unisex. Problem solved.

Indeed! The only reason they are separated at all is due to sexism, because women were viewed as the weaker of the species:
Article\
More Facts
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(05-19-2017, 03:23 AM)Taem Wrote: Indeed! The only reason they are separated at all is due to sexism, because women were viewed as the weaker of the species.
It's patently unfair. Men have a trough where we stand awkwardly next to each other, facing forward into the plain tiled wall, not knowing whether speaking is appropriate or not. While women get a carpeted lounge with comfortable couches, double the private stalls, free popcorn, and a mime making balloon animals.
[Image: de912ea0ca3606bac85295b407da2349.jpg] VS [Image: urinal_trough.jpg]

Free popcorn? Must be why the line is three times as long.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(05-22-2017, 10:18 PM)LavCat Wrote: Free popcorn? Must be why the line is three times as long.
Don't underestimate the allure of a mime making balloon animals.