WotLK Beta Signups are a go
That's right folks. Any of you with active WoW accounts can poke about your account management settings and, right at the bottom of the Free Services, you can opt in to be selected for beta access.

So you'd better all get in line before the tide of applications kill the account management system, as usual.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hooray. I made sure I had mine in before I left work yesterday.:D
Interesting tidbit: you can opt in with an inactive account.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Hi,

Quote:That's right folks. Any of you with active WoW accounts can poke about your account management settings and, right at the bottom of the Free Services, you can opt in to be selected for beta access.

So you'd better all get in line before the tide of applications kill the account management system, as usual.
Thanks. I'm all signed up, though given my play-to-date record, I'm not sure why. At least, I got to see the Ewok:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Yea, but i havent gotten mine yet.. blizzard seems to have forgetten my email.., grrrr
[Image: chandelier.gif]
[Image: greyson.jpg]
[Image: demtorch.gif]
You're not guaranteed a spot merely because you opted in.
Earthen Ring-EU:
Taelas -- 60 Human Protection Warrior; Shaleen -- 52 Human Retribution Paladin; Raethal -- 51 Worgen Guardian Druid; Szar -- 50 Human Fire Mage; Caethan -- 60 Human Blood Death Knight; Danee -- 41 Human Outlaw Rogue; Ainsleigh -- 52 Dark Iron Dwarf Fury Warrior; Mihena -- 44 Void Elf Affliction Warlock; Chiyan -- 41 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk; Threkk -- 40 Orc Fury Warrior; Alliera -- 41 Night Elf Havoc Demon Hunter;
Darkmoon Faire-EU:
Sieon -- 45 Blood Elf Retribution Paladin; Kuaryo -- 51 Pandaren Brewmaster Monk
Quote:You're not guaranteed a spot merely because you opted in.

From what I've seen, the way to get a Beta key so far seems to have been to let your account lapse for a few months. I've been reading a ton of beta reports that begin with "While, I'd let my account lapse, but since I got a beta key in the mail..."
~Not all who wander are lost...~
My account wasn't inactive and I just got in. Let me know if you have questions!
Quote:My account wasn't inactive and I just got in. Let me know if you have questions!
Yes, why didn't you give your access key to me?;)
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I just got an e-mail saying that I was in the beta as well. So I'll have some info to report at some point.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
/waves to Lurkers he only knows from the forums.

I copied 3 of my characters over, but I've only spent a limited amount of time playing my priest. Most of my beta time has been spent on the Death Knight - very fun class at the moment, although still in need of tuning and polishing. Consensus on the beta forums seems to be that they solo fine (DPS is probably on high side right now), generate enough threat when tanking, but tend to make healers life a little more... interesting than established tank classes (mitigation and avoidance levels for DK tanks still a work in progress).

67 at the moment, so looking forward to tanking some Northrend instances soon.

I'm on the Northrend (US) server, but I play on Oceanic time so I don't know how much overlap there would be.
Well I was hoping to start to my little Wrath of the Lich King Beta updates posts today, but I'm still getting patches.

1.88 GB client download that took about an hour to install after download.
55 MB patch quick install
241 MB patch 10 minutes to install
22 MB patch quick install
501 MB patch about 30 minutes to install
130 MB patch about 15 minutes to install
667 MB patch still downloading.

I'm averaging about 120 KB/s on the downloads (which isn't bad for my connection speed since I can't get much more than about 175 KB/s on the bandwidth I have and since I've been using my net for other stuff while downloading a lot of the time.)

So that is about 503 minutes of download time or 8 hours 23 minutes of download time and at least 2 hours of install. And I'm not sure how much more I have to go.

But I do plan on posting about my experiences. Stuff that anyone who has really been following the expansion probably already knows, but I'm still planning on doing it if I can ever get to a point where I can play the game. :)

Edit: 8/29 Just to keep track the patch today was 458 MB.
Edit: 9/5 (or thereabouts) patch was 109 MB
Edit: 9/23 Been awhile since I played had to get a 106 and 72 MB patch today.
Edit: 9/24 176 MB patch coming down now.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Well I was hoping to start to my little Wrath of the Lich King Beta updates posts today, but I'm still getting patches.
You're lucky you were able to start downloading the patches. All the client told me tonight was "Connected" without also saying that it was (futilely) trying to connect to the patch server. I guess it let me catch up on my "Burn Notice."

What with the 2 copper respecs, I'll be trying all 3 specs of my paly & hunter. Granted I don't really have spec-appropriate gear (for example, my paly will be SoCom'ing with a Sonic Spear:shuriken:), but what better way to emulate noob play than to wear scrubby gear:lol:
I'm pretty sure there are early quests that at least get you up to a 110 DPS or so 2H weapon.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Well I was hoping to start to my little Wrath of the Lich King Beta updates posts today, but I'm still getting patches.

1.88 GB client download that took about an hour to install after download.
55 MB patch quick install
241 MB patch 10 minutes to install
22 MB patch quick install
501 MB patch about 30 minutes to install
130 MB patch about 15 minutes to install
667 MB patch still downloading.

I'm averaging about 120 KB/s on the downloads (which isn't bad for my connection speed since I can't get much more than about 175 KB/s on the bandwidth I have and since I've been using my net for other stuff while downloading a lot of the time.)

So that is about 503 minutes of download time or 8 hours 23 minutes of download time and at least 2 hours of install. And I'm not sure how much more I have to go.

But I do plan on posting about my experiences. Stuff that anyone who has really been following the expansion probably already knows, but I'm still planning on doing it if I can ever get to a point where I can play the game. :)

I had everything patched up and ready to play yesterday only to return from work and discover that Blizzard had taken the beta servers offline to prepare for that 667MB patch. /sigh.

For anyone keeping score at home, it's ~2.7GB of downloads which extract and install into a 14GB Wrath directory. If you have normal BC-WoW installed (they don't share anything) you're looking at ~22GB of WoW.

Quote:I had everything patched up and ready to play yesterday only to return from work and discover that Blizzard had taken the beta servers offline to prepare for that 667MB patch. /sigh.

For anyone keeping score at home, it's ~2.7GB of downloads which extract and install into a 14GB Wrath directory. If you have normal BC-WoW installed (they don't share anything) you're looking at ~22GB of WoW.

Sounds ok to me. Now I just need to have Blizz let me into it!;)
~Not all who wander are lost...~
I spent most of the weekend on my Death Knight. Pushed him through to 70 on Saturday, then dived into Borean Tundra on Sunday.

Amusing observation: I had a friend help me through the Ring of Blood quests in Nagrand (where I found out my DK couldn't tank the Warmaul Champion /sadface) to get a shiny blue Honed Voidaxe. Wasted some time levelling my two-handed axes skill. First (or maybe second quest) in Northrend, I replace my 80 DPS blue with 110 DPS green.

It's quite exciting questing in Northrend because practically every quest reward is an upgrade. Oddly enough, there has been no tanking plate as a quest reward - I'll probably have to get the Cobalt blacksmithing set to try out that side of the game.

Most entertaining set of quests to date: The ones done for King Mrgl-Mrgl at the Winterfin Retreat. One quest has you rescuing Murloc Tadpoles, who are beyond adorable (think of the Murky pet, multiplied by about 10, following you around a cave), and another quest has you wearing the Murloc costume, carrying a white flag of surrender as you sneak in to face Claximus. You can do the Murloc dance, and the jumping animation is a sight to behold.

So far I'm enjoying the Borean Tundra a bit more than the time I spent in Howling Fjord, but I can't quite put my finger on why.

The latest patch reduced the XP needed to level (which was bumped up substantially the patch before). I'm about two-thirds of the way to 71 with around 50-60 quests completed. (The BT quest achievement is unlocked at 130 quests - same as Netherstorm - to give you an idea of quest density). Questing has been pretty smooth, with linking quests nudging you from hub to hub. The mobs for some quests have been a little elusive on a busy server - which is a good excuse to use the feedback button.

Chris