Cutting the cable / Mostly.
I went ahead and cancelled my cable tv. It was costing more than $200 per month
My kids and I seldom watch network or cable tv anymore, so most of that was for a sevice we hardly ever use. My kids are frustrated by anything that is not on demand now.

I still have the cable connection for broadband internet access at 100mbps. Having a device like Roku or AppleTv is so much cheaper. For the old man who lives with me, he had to add back in Sling TV for $25 a month to get some of the channels he wanted.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I haven't had cable TV in a long while. I get Sling TV for a month during the NBA playoffs. Apart from that, we have a Roku and we watch Netflix. When I run out of shows I want to see on Netflix, then we switch to Hulu until we run out on Hulu, then back to Netflix, etc.
There are also great old shows on Yahoo that you can't get on Hulu or Netflix.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
I haven't had any kind of cable TV since I moved away from my mother 21 years ago. And I haven't missed it.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Cord cutting accelerates in 2017. I'm thinking this will be a big disruption in the next few years. It might sink many cable companies where they have little revenue and all the same TV related infrastructure.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(05-29-2017, 12:14 PM)roguebanshee Wrote: I haven't had any kind of cable TV since I moved away from my mother 21 years ago. And I haven't missed it.

I can top that. Wink

The last time I had cable was 1984.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(05-30-2017, 10:46 AM)LennyLen Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 12:14 PM)roguebanshee Wrote: I haven't had any kind of cable TV since I moved away from my mother 21 years ago. And I haven't missed it.

I can top that. Wink

I've not had television, cable or otherwise, in my adult life. I turned 21 in 1969.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(05-30-2017, 03:45 PM)LavCat Wrote:

I can top that. Wink

I've not had television, cable or otherwise, in my adult life. I turned 21 in 1969.
You are WAY ahead of the curve... like almost Amish ahead of the curve.

I can top that. Wink

Out of curiosity... why?
There's nothing worthwhile on TV anyway.
(06-02-2017, 08:06 PM)roguebanshee Wrote: There's nothing worthwhile on TV anyway.

In 45 years?
(06-02-2017, 06:20 PM)Ashock Wrote:

I can top that. Wink

Out of curiosity... why?

In the old days you didn't get the Field Marshal title watching television.

Besides after Star Trek and Rocky and Bulwinkle went off the air there was nothing on worth watching.
(06-02-2017, 08:06 PM)roguebanshee Wrote: There's nothing worthwhile on TV anyway.

We got Netflix some time ago, and I enjoy watching some shows, eventhough it is more me looking at the least bad show I can watch and then choose that one.
It is all very unfulfilling for me.
And the main problem I find is that I start to watch less public TV. So quality programs about history, science, culture, current affairs, news etc.
Programs that would make you smarter watching them

A good thing about netflix is that they don't show you commercials all the time.

I also notice I feel much better when instead of watching TV i play a boardgame before going to bed.
(06-03-2017, 02:18 AM)LavCat Wrote:
(06-02-2017, 06:20 PM)Ashock Wrote:

I can top that. Wink

Out of curiosity... why?

In the old days you didn't get the Field Marshal title watching television.

Besides after Star Trek and Rocky and Bulwinkle went off the air there was nothing on worth watching.

LOL, getting Marshal almost cost me my job at the time, as it started at 5:30am and I went to bed at 2-2:30am for a few months. Besides, you are forgetting several 80s shows that were exceptional. Manimal and BJ and the Bear come to mind first.
So... Guilty Confession...

I love "The Voice" -- except the season where the spoiled brat girl, "Miley Cyrus" was a judge. The Voice, Vikings and the Marvel universe shows are the main reason I keep Hulu and Netflix.

I confess there is one recent TV show I watched on DVD...Firefly.
If you like Firefly, you should check out Dark Matter.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
(06-06-2017, 10:47 PM)Alram Wrote: If you like Firefly, you should check out Dark Matter.

Loved the 1st season. 2nd season was.... ok. Killjoys is fun, though. The Expanse is overrated, IMO.
Forgive my impertinence, but how would you know? Schrodinger's cat tell you?Big Grin
cheezz
"I believe in karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it."-Dogbert

"The truth is always greater that the words we use to describe it."

[Image: fun.jpg]
(06-13-2017, 07:04 AM)cheezz Wrote:
Forgive my impertinence, but how would you know? Schrodinger's cat tell you?Big Grin

I've found that the CW is consistently batting well above average right now. Their stable of comic book shows (while having some season misses) have shown longevity and when one of them falters another picks up the slack. Riverdale is a new high point and follows up the revamp of the Archie line of books that happened a couple years ago with a mash-up of decent teen drama and a heavy dose of Twin Peaks mystery and intrigue.

Speaking of Twin Peaks... OMG, the new season has made my year. Total and unrestrained Lynch. I'm loving it. (Technically this is available via streaming, but it's still primarily a cable show.)

Over on AMC, Preacher has my attention for it's completely off-the-wall batshit craziness. I'm hoping that now that they have caught up with the comic books they don't just rehash the same stories and keep back some curve balls.

And recently on FX, Legion was very good. It faltered a bit towards the end as they tried to lock down more of a narrative conclusion, but was still able to "wow" with "I can't believe this is on television" scenes.

And if Hannibal was still on TV today, the conversation would be over. That show was so unbelievably good and pushed the envelope so hard I'm surprised and happy it got 3 seasons.
(06-13-2017, 07:04 AM)cheezz Wrote:
Exposure to TV when I'm visiting others who haven't thrown theirs out yet.