Wonder Woman
08-20-2017, 02:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 02:13 AM by Taem.)
RE: Wonder Woman
I have never seen Bladerunner before. Is it worth a watch, i.e. does it hold up to modern cinema in terms of a good story? I also want to see Ghost in the Shell. I guess those both fall under sci-fi, and not superhero, so I guess I'm derailing the thread right now, lol.

"What good fortune it is for governments that the people they govern do not think." - Adolf Hitler
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-20-2017, 03:07 AM
(08-20-2017 02:12 AM)Taem Wrote:  I have never seen Bladerunner before. Is it worth a watch, i.e. does it hold up to modern cinema in terms of a good story? I also want to see Ghost in the Shell. I guess those both fall under sci-fi, and not superhero, so I guess I'm derailing the thread right now, lol.
I'm usually dubious of films derived from books, although they tend to have better themes, they also try to cram too much story into too short a time. The original Bladerunner was derived from a Philip. K. Dick short story, so has the best of just enough story, and plenty of time to tell it. It had a great cast, and was passionately directed by Ridley Scott, even so the film started at 4 hours before editing and creative control was wrested from Scott.

Quote:Philip K. Dick first came up with the idea for his novel 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' in 1962, when researching 'The Man in the High Castle' which deals with the Nazis conquering the planet in the 1940s. Dick had been granted access to archived World War II Gestapo documents in the University of California at Berkley, and had come across diaries written by S.S. men stationed in Poland, which he found almost unreadable in their casual cruelty and lack of human empathy. One sentence in particular troubled him: "We are kept awake at night by the cries of starving children." Dick was so horrified by this sentence that he reasoned there was obviously something wrong with the man who wrote it. This led him to hypothesize that Nazism in general was a defective group mind, a mind so emotionally flawed that the word human could not be applied to them; their lack of empathy was so pronounced that Dick reasoned they couldn't be referred to as human beings, even though their outward appearance seemed to indicate that they were human. The novel sprang from this. And, interestingly enough, it is now thought that some people are "Occupational Psychopaths" due to low-functioning amygdala, the fear centres of the brain's limbic system.

I would like to see the original 4 hour version, before it was repackaged with the voice over.

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O’Rourke

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]
Find all posts by this user
08-20-2017, 04:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 04:24 AM by DeeBye.)
(08-20-2017 01:25 AM)kandrathe Wrote:  Here's my bucket list of under rated films I need to find and watch again (or that were recommended I never saw).
Moon

Moon was really good.

There are a bunch of other movies with the same sort of theme that I really liked. Sunshine, Pandorum, Event Horizon, Europa Report, Interstellar, Ex Machina, 2001, Apollo 13, just to name a few. I really like creepy sci-fi.
08-20-2017, 05:07 AM
(08-20-2017 04:19 AM)DeeBye Wrote:  
(08-20-2017 01:25 AM)kandrathe Wrote:  Here's my bucket list of under rated films I need to find and watch again (or that were recommended I never saw).
Moon

Moon was really good.

There are a bunch of other movies with the same sort of theme that I really liked. Sunshine, Pandorum, Event Horizon, Europa Report, Interstellar, Ex Machina, 2001, Apollo 13, just to name a few. I really like creepy sci-fi.

How about Airplane 2?

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
08-22-2017, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2017 08:44 AM by kandrathe.)
(08-20-2017 04:19 AM)DeeBye Wrote:  I really like creepy sci-fi.
Same. Some of my favs...not all spacey, but creepy dystopian... Dark city, Dredd (Karl Urban not the Stallone one), Fahrenheit 451 by Truffaut, Battle Royale by Kinji Fukasaku, Soylent Green, Thx 1138, Equilibrium, Joss Whedon's Serenity...

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O’Rourke

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]
08-25-2017, 04:44 AM
(08-22-2017 07:50 AM)kandrathe Wrote:  
(08-20-2017 04:19 AM)DeeBye Wrote:  I really like creepy sci-fi.
Same. Some of my favs...not all spacey, but creepy dystopian... Dark city, Dredd (Karl Urban not the Stallone one), Fahrenheit 451 by Truffaut, Battle Royale by Kinji Fukasaku, Soylent Green, Thx 1138, Equilibrium, Joss Whedon's Serenity...

I like your taste in movies! I'll add more. Gattaca, Children of Men, Snowpiercer, The Road, 12 Monkeys, Looper, City of Ember, and of course the Mad Max movies.